Default Saucer Country Discussion

I think this comic deserves a nice topic where we can all discussion the latest issues as they come out. The rest of the Vertigo stuff gets their own topics, so why not this underappericated gem?

So, the latest issue, issue nine, came out this week and I really enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't as good as issue 8, which started off this new arc, The Reticulan Candidate, but was still pretty enjoyable. Here's my quick thoughts and be warned SPOILERS be found below:

Saucer Country #9

Plot:

As Arcadia and her team prepare for the debates in Las Vegas, they have a rather and more realitisic close encounter. Meanwhile, Professor Kidd continues his investigation into “Mork” and “Mindy”, trying to figure out what exactly is going on.

Our Hero:

Oh I like her attitude about this debate.

Our Villain:

Aliens! Those other black suits must be aliens!

Our Side Characters:

Professor Kidd… you do realize why that cab driver didn’t stay right?

Action:

Surprisingly, there is! Gun shots!

Dialogue:

You magical helpers are useless! Damn your hinting!

Art:

Page 2, Last Panel: That’s one hell of an expression you’re having.

Most Memorable Moment:

Only aliens have that big of foreheads!

Final Page:

So wait he’s going to die? Oh, I kind of liked that bodyguard guy.

What We Should Take from This Comic:

This conspiracy is getting bigger and bigger as apparently and trouble is ramping up as Arcadia moves forward towards the presidency.

What We Do Take From This Comic:

So mysterious government officials in black suits showing up at people’s doors are really just hazing rituals done by the army? Who would have guessed!

Yay or Nay?

Yay

Enough about my thoughts, what did you guys think of the issue and of the series so far?

This title started with so much promise but it has waivered a lot. I am seriously considering dropping it.

The preview for issue 10 is up!

http://www.vertigocomics.com/galleri...try-10-preview

Looks good as always and the dialogue is as strong as ever. I can't wait to see how this debate goes.

So, why did the cab driver run away?

Quote Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
    This title started with so much promise but it has waivered a lot. I am seriously considering dropping it.
    I agree. I've found it to be boring.

BANNED

It's an interesting concept that's just gone downhill. Cornell hasn't written anything good since Action Comics.

I picked up this up today and I really enjoyed it as usual. I'm not going to use my usual system of review due how different this comic usually is from what I use the review format for, but it would be a big Yay ultimately.

I'm liking this dialogue, these characters, the way the story is moving and building the crazy conspiracy, the art, and just how it just sucks me in. It was easily my pick of the week, which is the second time this happen for this comic (last time it was pick of the week was in April). I'm a little disappointed with the filler issue coming next, but hopefully it is at least interesting.

out chasing comets Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Saucer Country #10

Loved this issue! So what do we know now?

There is a conspiracy, and they want Alvarado to win the Democratic nomination. Twice now they've used Abramowitz to help her campaign. The first time his job was to divert Dr. Glass and that talk radio guy away from accusations that could have tarred the Governor's reputation with a web of whacked-out lies about UFOs, and this time he was their gunman. It's clear the conspiracy doesn't care that much if people die in pursuit of their goals, but they're not mustache twirling murder crazies either. Their primary tool appears to be mental manipulation, and a "playbook" that's been tested through experience. That suggests that Alvarado's campaign is the latest component of some long running plan they've got going.

And then there's Michael, who might be assumed to be going through a psychological breakdown if his experiences didn't fit in so well with everything else that's going on. I have no idea why the conspiracy wanted him to think he was the assassin, except maybe to set him up as a patsy if the plan went bad. In any case, it seems like one of their ongoing goals is to turn Michael's mind into pudding by constantly upsetting his beliefs about himself and his perception of reality. Kind of like Dr. Kidd, but without the saving grace of being a logical scientist to pull him through.
    Last edited by Kevin Street; 12-16-2012 at 07:35 PM.

I stopped reading it at #5. Never got really interesting for me, the main characters are pretty lame and empty, I just didn't care for any of them not one bit.

With a bit of a heavy heart I recently dropped this series. While I really enjoyed the mythology being built up the only plot thread that I could find myself getting excited for at all was Kidd and even that was hindered by how much I didn't care by most of the other cast.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

I read the first TBP and really liked it...I have the other issues but havn't read them yet

I don't know how its going to go what with all this stuff happening with Vertigo

So how has this book been doing? Also is Cornell still doing the occasional side story based on real ufo accounts or has he stopped that?

Quote Originally Posted by JessieMidnight View Post
    So how has this book been doing? Also is Cornell still doing the occasional side story based on real ufo accounts or has he stopped that?
    Book as been doing fine. As for the other part, those were basically filler issues and I think he stopped that.

I really enjoy this series. I mainly got it because Scalped ended and I still wanted something current from Vertigo to read and also because I love anything about aliens and ufos. Like alot of other people have said, The first 5-6 issues were really good but they've been becoming rather bland. Seems to be going away from ufo and aliens into straight politics. But im still sticking with it. Going to give it some more time see what happens. Hoping it progresses.