Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    That was in Generations wasn't it?? The Dumas Sisters hacked Geordi's VISOR so the could see the sheild modulations and shoot down the Enterprise-D?
    There were more occasions I'm pretty sure, but good point: There's actually movie evidence that Trek weapons and shielding tech are heavily interlinked to work via frequency modulation rather than it just being an underexplained handwave explanation for Borg adaptation.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Because the whole single-frequency phasers and shields duality mechanic is specific to Trek. It's how they fire through their own raised shields: By matching frequency so they can shoot through at the opposing vessel. It's a plot element once or twice even outside Borg episodes that if you can get the current frequency codes for an opposing vessel their shields are meaningless, and heavy encryption is used for exactly that reason.

Wars weapons use bolts of superheated ions rather than a coherent frequency beam, and fire through their shields by opening small apertures to fire through. There's no reason a Star Destroyer or what have you would have that vulnerability, it's not a relevant design feature.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't mean to be offensive here if it comes across that way - You are saying that since Star Destroyers open lots of little holes in their shields, that they are more secure against Beaming than Trek shields.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Unless the HyperUnstablium was one of the things Replicators can't make THIS week. :tounge:

Kirk's Son apparently had access to the stuff, since he was alive in one movie I assume he'll be around.

TV stuff!!
    Janeway helped them come up with Nanoprobe phasers and torpedos, she's just supposed to forget that when working with Borg again?

That was in Generations wasn't it?? The Dumas Sisters hacked Geordi's VISOR so the could see the sheild modulations and shoot down the Enterprise-D?
    It's more that they have a hole in what they block. Of course neither are perfect or they'd block out Light too, so who knows what sorts of sub-space signals could go right through them. That on top of the above 'little holes' that Data/Spock could easily exploit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illidania
    Thanos, after working down a bag of pot, and chugging down one of Galactus' Cosmo Beers, started spouting off hysterical nonsense about destroying the multiverse with his mightpowers. Then, while holding up one of those rubber gloves you wear while doing dishes, slurring out that it's the Infinity Gauntlet, Squirrel girl pounces him to the ground where he passes out on the spot. Uatu then comes in and congratulates SG for saving the multiverse! :D

......oh wait, that actualy happened. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Janeway helped them come up with Nanoprobe phasers and torpedos, she's just supposed to forget that when working with Borg again?
    Heh...I forgot Janeway showed up in 1 of the movies. I wonder if that helps or hurts Trek...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Heh...I forgot Janeway showed up in 1 of the movies. I wonder if that helps or hurts Trek...
    Access to end of Voyager tech helps if she is able to provide that. Letting her anywhere near decision making or anything that requires some sort of logical reasoning hurts.