Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWTOR goes F2P

Default SWTOR goes F2P

Check out this game at http://www.swtor.com Make a free account and download to start playing. It is F2P with a few services not available. It is definitely worth a shot.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Check out this game at http://www.swtor.com Make a free account and download to start playing. It is F2P with a few services not available. It is definitely worth a shot.
    What they restrict you on is sad. But, every company needs to make money. I'll be sure one day or another I'll take my Jedi to max level. :)
    Keep Moving Forward.

SHSO ID: Shadow Cool Librarian
    XBox Live: StaringPandora6

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoniz View Post
    What they restrict you on is sad. But, every company needs to make money. I'll be sure one day or another I'll take my Jedi to max level. :)
    We can group up someday if you ever get back.

SWTOR goes F2P
    Not to brag but i'm pretty sure i predicted it on this very forum even before the game was released. Still remember some saying "it's never gonna happen", lol.

Free to play is the standard now.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Not to brag but i'm pretty sure i predicted it on this very forum even before the game was released. Still remember some saying "it's never gonna happen", lol.

Free to play is the standard now.
    Agreed. Free to play is the only way to go anymore. I won't be surprised if WoW goes Free To Play in a year or two as well. They already have a trial version.

Oh, this is that half-assed F2P that Everquest 2 tried to get away with.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be reinstalling any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Oh, this is that half-assed F2P that Everquest 2 tried to get away with.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be reinstalling any time soon.
    Just need QB access and Hide Head Slot to be fixed and people would be much happier.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Agreed. Free to play is the only way to go anymore. I won't be surprised if WoW goes Free To Play in a year or two as well. They already have a trial version.
    They'd have to bleed out two or three million subscribers in a year for that to happen. Not likely.

Old Republic going f2p isn't a surprise, but them dropping the price of the actual game to zero dollars is kind of a shock. That is a lot of single player content that they're giving away with no guarantee on a return.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

I like how Eve Online has like 20k subscribers, and has been going on that with semi constant updates for what feels like 8 years, and Swtor, which still has over a million subs, has to go f2p.
    Something about the way EA did this most have been massively screwed.
    I remember Blizzard saying they would still turn a profit with 1.5 million subscribers on wow, and they have to have the most money dedicated to that game than any other mmo.

I've re-subbed. Got 6 characters on the go, one at max, and I'll be buggered if I'm gonna have all that restricted. The free-to-play model is kind of weird, because many of the items you pay for are fairly pointless, but then there's actual useful stuff like extra carry space. I didn't check but I hope they've added a way to increase the amount of cash you carry. Towards the top levels, 350,000 credits is not much at all really.

I just started playing a week ago, totally oblivious to the fact that it was going F2P so I got a 60 day time card. Which I would've got anyway after hearing the restrictions in game. Yeesh. I got jipped on Cartel Coins though :[

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I like how Eve Online has like 20k subscribers, and has been going on that with semi constant updates for what feels like 8 years, and Swtor, which still has over a million subs, has to go f2p.
    Something about the way EA did this most have been massively screwed.
    I remember Blizzard saying they would still turn a profit with 1.5 million subscribers on wow, and they have to have the most money dedicated to that game than any other mmo.
    I did the beta last October and played a for a few months after launch. They launched too early without enough features. The class quests and grouping were brilliant, but it's the endgame content that gets you every time. I personally enjoyed the PvP system a lot, because there aren't a lot of games where I can play fully spec'd as a tank and still contribute to wins.
    He isn't smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    I did the beta last October and played a for a few months after launch. They launched too early without enough features. The class quests and grouping were brilliant, but it's the endgame content that gets you every time. I personally enjoyed the PvP system a lot, because there aren't a lot of games where I can play fully spec'd as a tank and still contribute to wins.
    I got swtor at launch, and quit playing after a month because i got level cap fairly quick and spent too much time on the space station spamming chat looking for a group.
    i understand they added a lfg feature in a later update.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I got swtor at launch, and quit playing after a month because i got level cap fairly quick and spent too much time on the space station spamming chat looking for a group.
    i understand they added a lfg feature in a later update.
    They did. It favors tanks heavily though, just like all the other trinity games.
    He isn't smiling.

It's a shame that it lost subscribers as quickly as it did, I had a lot of fun with my pals the first month or two but after that it was just wasting time on illum grinding faction between the raids. I've heard it's a lot better now but without other friends playing, doesn't seem worth the effort.