Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pralaya View Post
    vous Ítes un connaisseur, mon ami ;)
    Only the best for me. Only the best....

The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I think Ennis is better on character and on making you feel the politics of a story, the social element. But Morrison is by far the better remix/appropriation guy (and he might as well own it).

The best bits of Doom Patrol all come from other things, other people, other pieces, but his way of arranging them, merging and juxtaposing them, is wonderful. And that is something he's never really stopped doing. The Invisibles was a remix/mashup of his life and interests. New X-Men was an appropriation masterpiece of everything X. Crisis Times Five was every pre-CoIE Crisis story, from fighting atop the Specter's giant body to the Thunderbolt, the JSA/JLA teaming up, the merger of opposites, and making enemies turn friends. People are seeing Hugo Danner and Lil Abner in Action Comics because it's there. The elements of DP may not have been original to Morrison, but the rhythm was his, he took the disparate elements and developed interesting movements, controlling the pitch, orchestrating the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I bet he would have played up the fighter pilot backstory for Larry Trainor. Probably write a story where the Negative Spirit is trapped, and Larry has to save the day with an F-16. (Or even more likely, a WWII Spitfire.)
    Why go through the trouble of trapping the Negative Spirit when he could just Larry offhandedly remark that he had forgotten that he even had powers at the story's conclusion?
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Doom Patrol, my favourite Morrison series. I loved it for its intertextuality and reference to other books and areas outside comics, I had a great time researching the references, and reading all the books it introduced me to. I'm sorry Morrison is no longer interested in this type of heady, dense material.

Still, it wasn't just intellectually rewarding, it was a series that had lots of heart, characters with great feelings and personalities. The final issue made me cry, that's it, nothing else to say.

It's 2AM, I'm high, and I just pulled out my Doom Patrol trades. Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by fever00 View Post
    O.O
    10char
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fever00 View Post
    Yeah I think I'll take my Doom Patrol and Invisibles trades to Colorado over the holidays.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

God, I can't read any comics... I get distracted by my itunes music visual.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Yeah, I definitely don't read blown.

If anything, blown is the time for creation.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    On on the topic....

I LOVE DP! It's definitely on my top ten favorite comic runs

Sorry Desaad, the only comics I could ever masturbate are Corto Maltese and Metabarons.

EDIT: and anything by Moebius
    Metabarons has a ultimate collection out is it pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    Metabarons has a ultimate collection out is it pretty good?
    Metabarons is great. Think sci-fi meets greek tragedy. Nobody is likeable, everybody is doomed by their own hubris.

Doom Patrol is a very very fine distillation of a lot of youth cultural movements in the Uk at the time; popularity of US psychedelia and lsd becoming in vogue again amongst UK bands, Uk publishers like Atlas translating and making available again a lot of out of print french surrealist and experimental literature, the widespread take up of french cultural criticism by UK universities, widespread use of ecstacy, alternative lifestyles coming back into "fashion" again. Lot of ideas floating around in the UK at that time which Morrison hoovered up
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.