Default Sandman appreciation thread.

Since it was ranked number 1 on CBR's top 100 comic run list, I figure it would be entitled to give it a proper honor thread. We can talk about how we got into sandman, favorite stories etc.

I was reluctant to indulge into this story for such a length of time. Due to other books I wanted to acquire more then it. I always put getting other books like Y the last man, or swamp thing on my buy list instead of hunting down this literary masterpiece. I always day dreamed to myself in my thoughts, that maybe Sandman could just be a vehicle of it's own hype. Maybe it does not resonate it self with a modern audience as well as back then.... Why I processed thoughts like this about Sandman I have no clue. I was not big on how it was in the spirit of anthology stories and I was never keen to those type of tales. Now flash forward to a new age, a new mindset for me. I being much more opened to everything now I decided it was about time I proved my mettle as a passionate Comic fan. I thought unto myself that I should at least read it for the sake of history. I picked up volume 1 of the absolute at the library..... I sat I read all 20 issues of the tome in positively 2 days of rich, organic, dense, fun, and most of all exploratory storytelling at it's finest. My favorite issue 24 hours in which the villain John Dee controls Morpheus's ruby. He goes about binding everyone in the local diner to his will and we see and study their routine or should I say his idea of how their routine should be. It was brilliant! All done in one room I never read such a amazing single issue so condensed and tragic true horror that holly wood should take note from. Neil Gaiman is the master of pen and with his Godlike understanding and knowing of all things vocabulary. Makes for great Characters with depth and realism.

I love sandman and I am gonna buy all the trades. Because the Absolute edition sure puts a strain on my male anatomy.

I read and loved Brief Lives and just ordered Preludes & Nocturnes. So excited.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Chew, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Saga, Stormwatch, Wonder Woman

I just read my first issue last night :D

Always heard amazing things about this series so I finally took the plunge and just got the 10-trade slipcase box.
    Read the first issue of Preludes and Nocturnes and loved it!
    I know people say it has a slow start so if it only gets better i guess im in for a treat :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I just read my first issue last night :D

Always heard amazing things about this series so I finally took the plunge and just got the 10-trade slipcase box.
    Read the first issue of Preludes and Nocturnes and loved it!
    I know people say it has a slow start so if it only gets better i guess im in for a treat :)
    Indeed. I find the second half of Preludes and Nocturnes even better. I'm reading vol 9 and got vol 10 with the slipcase. I only need to get Endless Nights and The Dream Hunters. About The Dream Hunters, is the graphic novel adaptation good or should I get the original?
    If you like Sandman, you should get the 2 Death trades.

I just bought the last new edition trade two weeks ago, been meaning to read it for a long time and now I'm going to. Hopefully it'll live it's to hype, though I don't want it to be my favorite (Vertigo) series <.<
    BB