Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Great Pacific, #1

Joe Harris and Martin Morazzo concoct a thriller woven around the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and a billionaire whiz-kid with a hare-brained idea in "Great Pacific" #1.

Full review here.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Picked this one up. Haven't read it yet, but eager to!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Can't remember what it was about this series that made me put issue #1 on my pull list a few months ago... but whatever it was didn't seem to occur in issue #1. Totally meh.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

As a set-up issue, this first issue struck me as not terrifically engaging, with a lot of set-up to do, and an apparently pretty shallow richie rich kid protagonist who eventually develops The Great Idea. This's is kind of what I find in most issue #2s, where the grabber of a first issue now needs filling out, and set up for the third issue is developed. With luck, though, the second issue of this series will launch right out of the first issue for a pretty exciting ride: rich kid (seems to be about to) turns the floating plastic landmass into a new nation... still have a lot of hope for this series... This compares well, for me, to The Massive, which is also an ecologically-underpinned narrative: bravo to Image for undertaking two of these series!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    As a set-up issue, this first issue struck me as not terrifically engaging, with a lot of set-up to do, and an apparently pretty shallow richie rich kid protagonist who eventually develops The Great Idea. This's is kind of what I find in most issue #2s, where the grabber of a first issue now needs filling out, and set up for the third issue is developed. With luck, though, the second issue of this series will launch right out of the first issue for a pretty exciting ride: rich kid (seems to be about to) turns the floating plastic landmass into a new nation... still have a lot of hope for this series... This compares well, for me, to The Massive, which is also an ecologically-underpinned narrative: bravo to Image for undertaking two of these series!
    The Massive is from Dark Horse.

But I agree w/ all your other sentiments. I thought it was an interesting premise and typical, yet still interesting 1st issue of setting up the series. Definitely checking out the next couple issues.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

@ dr. cheesesteak: doh! (forehead slap). Yeah. Dark Horse. sigh.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

I liked #1....though it was just a lot of build-up. That said, the "origin" of how he gets to the island fits nicely into one issue....now we can get on to life on the Pacific Gyre!
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.

I thought it was OK. Nothing that was too big or outstanding. Hopefully the second issue will turn it around and give it a little more than what this issue had.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

It was a slightly pretentious and to full of cliche's for my liking. I'm not sure if comic book readers like an enviromental message shoved down their throats either. I won't even bother with #2

Enjoyed first issue, sets rest of story up perfect. I hope it does not lead to a book full of environmental messages but instead a book full of adventure, fighting against corrupt corporations and governments.

Yeah the premise is good but I was expecting a bit better from that first issue, gonna hope #2 is an improvement and cuts to the chase.
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

I just got around to reading this one a couple days ago, and I couldn't disagree with this review more. This is at least a 4-star effort, if not a 5.

The idea that this is a combination of "Ferris Bueller", "Office Space" and a Tom Clancy knock-off is not only inaccurate, but also insulting.

I'll be on board with this one for a while.