Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Speaking of, whatever happened to Rachel Pollack? After she killed Doom Patrol she had a short, oddly simplistic run on the New Gods (Pollack's Doom Patrol had many faults, but simplicity wasn't one of them) and then...poof?
    Between the nastiness of some comics folks and her success in other venues, she's just done other, non-comics things. It seems she just did comics, for a bit, because she wanted to do comics.

I've heard people say she wrote mean-spirited fan letters, but as I've known her, she's one of the saner and smarter comics readers. And, I definitely wouldn't mind a return to making them. (How is Time Breakers not in print?)

She killed off my interest in Catwoman AND Green Arrow. But I guess everyone has their fans, even Liefeld.

i hope she does well with katana.

BANNED

I'm very happy to see Ann moving on to a character that I have no interest in and leaving Ollie to a better writer. Now of only we could get rid of her on Catwoman. Maybe have her take over Ravagers or some other book certain to be cancelled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Because she's a competent and talented writer.
    Only if you base that on her work from 20 years ago. Her work on the New 52 to date has been among the worst of the line, right alongside Liefeld, Lobdell and Mackie's work. She's part of the Harris-era 90s Marvel clique at NuDC that have no business still being in this industry. Fabian Nicieza is the only member of this group who has actually written anything worth reading in the past decade, and not even his strongest supports would trade his Red Robin for his New Warriors run. Some writers need to move on and certain editors need to stop hiring their pals from the good ole days to fill holes in the New 52 ship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Only if you base that on her work from 20 years ago.
    Nope, even with her current work as a base, her work is smart and dense. More so than anything Nicieza has done.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Nope, even with her current work as a base, her work is smart and dense. More so than anything Nicieza has done.
    ... Why are you even mentioning Nicieza here?

BANNED

I'm replying to his post.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Only if you base that on her work from 20 years ago. Her work on the New 52 to date has been among the worst of the line, right alongside Liefeld, Lobdell and Mackie's work. She's part of the Harris-era 90s Marvel clique at NuDC that have no business still being in this industry. Fabian Nicieza is the only member of this group who has actually written anything worth reading in the past decade, and not even his strongest supports would trade his Red Robin for his New Warriors run. Some writers need to move on and certain editors need to stop hiring their pals from the good ole days to fill holes in the New 52 ship.
    Lobdell's been doing steady work, he's had a few slips with his Teen Titans, but it's nothing to fire him over, as was his Superboy, which was far better than the boring run that had just proceeded it. Nocenti is in the same vein as Morrison, as a very dense and intelligent writer. She's not writing comics for the decompressed storyteller, she's writing them to add depth and poetry in the scenes that she writes. Even the worst of her work on Green Arrow (the story involving the cyborg support group) still had layers to it, and the mood she was setting for how she was planning on transforming the character was a breathe of fresh air. Comparing her to Liefeld is a slap in the face to her craftsmanship, and shows that some readers lack the ability to comprehend what she was trying to accomplish.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Nocenti is in the same vein as Morrison, as a very dense and intelligent writer. She's not writing comics for the decompressed storyteller, she's writing them to add depth and poetry in the scenes that she writes. Even the worst of her work on Green Arrow (the story involving the cyborg support group) still had layers to it, and the mood she was setting for how she was planning on transforming the character was a breathe of fresh air. Comparing her to Liefeld is a slap in the face to her craftsmanship, and shows that some readers lack the ability to comprehend what she was trying to accomplish.
    That's my take on her, too. Even at her worst, I feel I'm still getting more bang for the buck than many big names of the decompression school of writing.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Lobdell's been doing steady work, he's had a few slips with his Teen Titans, but it's nothing to fire him over, as was his Superboy, which was far better than the boring run that had just proceeded it. Nocenti is in the same vein as Morrison, as a very dense and intelligent writer. She's not writing comics for the decompressed storyteller, she's writing them to add depth and poetry in the scenes that she writes. Even the worst of her work on Green Arrow (the story involving the cyborg support group) still had layers to it, and the mood she was setting for how she was planning on transforming the character was a breathe of fresh air. Comparing her to Liefeld is a slap in the face to her craftsmanship, and shows that some readers lack the ability to comprehend what she was trying to accomplish.
    You know what I find so ironic and very funny about the highlighted portion?

Do we all remember who the writer on Superboy was before Scott Lobdell? Jeff Lemire. LOL

For what it's worth, I actually liked Lemire's run. Ok, I didn't love it. But I do find it quite amusing how much better-regarded Lemire is now compared to when he was writing Superboy. Now fans treat his arrival on books like Green Arrow as the second coming.

Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    You know what I find so ironic and very funny about the highlighted portion?

Do we all remember who the writer on Superboy was before Scott Lobdell? Jeff Lemire. LOL

For what it's worth, I actually liked Lemire's run. Ok, I didn't love it. But I do find it quite amusing how much better-regarded Lemire is now compared to when he was writing Superboy. Now fans treat his arrival on books like Green Arrow as the second coming.

Too funny.
    Oh, I know, and I liked Lemire pre-52, but I think he's improved since the reboot. His Atom stuff, while I loved it, wasn't as fun or as well regarded since he took on Animal Man. And his run was decent, just nothing to really write home about.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Rolling My Eyes At You mr_hyde2120's Avatar

Well said, I agree with lobdell doing steady work. His SB Is better than that old sh*t. I like Redhood And The Outlaws too. But Outside Of old school JLI and Guy Gardner, I'm a DC newbie

BANNED

Oh, I know, and I liked Lemire pre-52, but I think he's improved since the reboot. His Atom stuff, while I loved it, wasn't as fun or as well regarded since he took on Animal Man. And his run was decent, just nothing to really write home about.
    Lemire's Superboy bored me to tears. I mean there was some interesting ideas in there, but it didn't come together that well, and his Superboy characterization was just bland. Lobdell's Superboy is the most interesting the character ever was. And I say that as someone who has all of the 90s Superboy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Lemire's Superboy bored me to tears. I mean there was some interesting ideas in there, but it didn't come together that well, and his Superboy characterization was just bland. Lobdell's Superboy is the most interesting the character ever was. And I say that as someone who has all of the 90s Superboy series.
    You need to read YJ. Or even Johns' Adventure Comics Superboy run.

Lobdell's is perfectly entertaining, don't get me wrong. But it is far (oh, so far) from the 'best'.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.