Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    What, he made two good films?
    Burton's Chocolate Factory was a closer adaption of the book than the original film was and got good reviews, up in the 80s percentage of Rotten Tomato. Sweeney Todd was also very damn good and got a ton of great critical acclaim, tons of award nominations, and was in multiple top ten film lists of that year.
    I don't mean Charlie and the Chocolate Factor (2005) is a bad film, I mean for someone who sounded like THE PERFECT choice to adapt any Roald Dahl story... he delivered a film that was "meh". It's not about being faithful to the text or not, it's about capturing the essence of Dahl. His film was merely "as good" as most directors would have given us. If that makes sense? Where as... Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) was AMAZING. Totally Dahl; even if he changed a lot of the story, it captured the feel of a Roald Dahl book. Out of Burton and Anderson, most would assume Burton would deliver the better Dahl film... they would be wrong.

As for Sweeney Todd... ugh! Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, but I don't think many in Britain liked it (hence why, despite being up for major American awards, it failed to bag any big nominations here). Visually it's beautiful... but Depp was horribly miscast. I did like Helena Bonham-Carter's performance, though. Again it wasn't an awful film... just horribly disappointing, considering it sounded like a match made in heaven.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    As for Sweeney Todd... ugh! Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, but I don't think many in Britain liked it (hence why, despite being up for major American awards, it failed to bag any big nominations here). Visually it's beautiful... but Depp was horribly miscast. I did like Helena Bonham-Carter's performance, though. Again it wasn't an awful film... just horribly disappointing, considering it sounded like a match made in heaven.
    I'm British, and I thought it was excellent. Depp seemed just perfect, in my opinion.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm British, and I thought it was excellent. Depp seemed just perfect, in my opinion.
    Each to their own...
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."