Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I wonder if they a change of race could end up giving more weight to the idea that James Bond essentialy a codename in british intelligence who can be given to anyone (while its a popular fan theory, movies never quite use it)
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I would support Hardy as a villain... but what a REALLY want is a female villain. I don't mean femme fatale sidekick; I mean MAIN villain. I don't think we've ever had a main villain be female... closest we got was Elektra King; and you could argue Reynard was the main villain (hence why he had the final showdown, long after she was dead).

Tilda Swinton would be top of my list!
    Glen Close would be at the top of mine - I always find her unnerving.

As far as Idris being the next Bond, yeah I think he could be good but I don't think it'll happen. He's the right age to play the role now, but after Craig... I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers were asking him to audition for the same reason they had James Brolin screentest for the role when Moore was considering quitting the role in the Eighties: leverage. Craig's only real competition for 007 back when he was first cast was Henry Cavill, who was at the time considered too young for the role; I imagine when Cavill signed for Superman, Craig realised that the producers no longer had their fall-back choice and he was in a much stronger bargaining position, and in turn, the producers brought in Elba to keep their options open. Of course, I could be totally wrong and Idris might well be in serious consideration to replace Craig.

I really can't see the Broccoli's handing over the reigns of the franchise to Nolan for three films.

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    I wonder if they a change of race could end up giving more weight to the idea that James Bond essentialy a codename in british intelligence who can be given to anyone (while its a popular fan theory, movies never quite use it)
    That's a theory, but it's not popular. Most Bond fans think it's a stupid idea and would like it stamped out; the Broccoli's share this view.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Elba rejected the idea of him playing Bond?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Professional Hedonist cybrestrike's Avatar

Idris Elba as James Bond would be absolutely amazing. Michael Fassbender would be great as well.

Christopher Nolan has a distinct style when he makes a film...I think if he got into the Bond franchise would it sort of severely tweak the formula that makes it work?
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magma Magik Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Husk Chamber Skin

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    I've always been a fan of that Bond-theory. I don't get why so many Bond fans hate it. Whether or not you buy into it doesn't change the Bond films what so ever.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I've always been a fan of that Bond-theory. I don't get why so many Bond fans hate it. Whether or not you buy into it doesn't change the Bond films what so ever.
    same here....not a far fetched theory, that each 00 agent has an alias that comes with it
    Support your local roller derby league

It does make the references to his dead wife meaningless, though. And kind of creepy. Why is Moore's Bond laying a wreath at Tracy Bond's grave in FYEO? Wasn't she married to Lazenby's Bond? But as she apparently changed her name to Bond, I guess she comes with the codename too?

From what I have seen Idris in (just Thor and Ghost Rider) I have a hard time picturing him as Bond. He just doesn't strike me as the Bond type. He is a good actor, and I like his work so far, and this has nothing to do with race. He just seems a bit to rough and tumble. More the kind of guy who would fight first and then go "aw, shit... I should have asked him a few questions before I beat him to death" kind of character.

Although I have to admit I had some of the same misgivings about Craig. But the three films seem to have been about his growing into the Bond we know. He was rough in the first, then by Skyfall he pulled off the penultimate Bond moment, when he dropped down into the moving train as its back end gets ripped off, stands up straight, straightens his cuff and walks forward. PURE Bond right there.

Danny John-Jules would have been good for Bond in his earlier days. But as he is now 53, he is too old.

Continuity in 40 years of Bond is kind of silly. Each film stands by itself without any need for reference to continuity. Note the word "NEED" in that sentence. It doesn't preclude the occasional call-back, but there's no necessity for it to tell the story.

Dear lord... I just realized. We're on the road to "Crisis on Infinite Bonds."
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    Christopher Nolan has a distinct style when he makes a film...I think if he got into the Bond franchise would it sort of severely tweak the formula that makes it work?
    It's really not style that I'm most worried about in regard to Nolan, though it's true his action directing is only slightly above average.

Nolan would taint the very concept of Bond. His whole deal is tearing down the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Elba and Fass would be my top choices. Either would rock it.
    Loving Craig's take on Bond right now. But those two would be great replacements in my opinion.
    Agreed. Elba has yet to have that big screen breakout role, unfortunately.

Fassbender though? I think he's probably my top pick for Bond.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Ultraviolet, episode Terra Incognita. Idris' character locked in a room with 4 vampires about to emerge from their coffins. One of my favourite scenes in a series ever and made a fan of Idris Elba. He would have made an awesome Blade (one more in tune with the comic book version) and I think he could make a good Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Ultraviolet, episode Terra Incognita. Idris' character locked in a room with 4 vampires about to emerge from their coffins. One of my favourite scenes in a series ever and made a fan of Idris Elba. He would have made an awesome Blade (one more in tune with the comic book version) and I think he could make a good Bond.
    I remember that episode, it was very tense! Idris was great in Ultraviolet.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    It supports the constant recasting of the James Bond role, if they can do that with M then it makes sense to do it with Bond
    Last edited by Legato; 11-15-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck