Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Archer & Armstrong #4 Discussion and SPOILERS

Wow, great issue! I think FVL has really started to find the voices for these characters as this arc wraps up, which has me really excited for this next arc and the Eternal Warrior!

Some big questions: Why didn't the Boon affect Archer? Was Ivar protecting him somehow? Or was it because he's a Harbinger? If so, does that explain why the Anni Padda brothers were not affected the first time around? Ivar was a Harbinger in the original universe, could all 3 bros be Harbingers this time around?
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I was wondering the same thing about Archer, and I think you're right.

And I felt so bad for Mary-Marie, and then to see her walking out in the snow....I wonder how much longer her character will be around.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    I was wondering the same thing about Archer, and I think you're right.

And I felt so bad for Mary-Marie, and then to see her walking out in the snow....I wonder how much longer her character will be around.
    I think we'll be seeing more of Mary Maria in the future, maybe as a immortal killing machine, but we'll be seeing her.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    I think we'll be seeing more of Mary Maria in the future, maybe as a immortal killing machine, but we'll be seeing her.
    Maybe as an "Immortal Enemy"?

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

really glad to see the Geomancer's back.

Tis was a great issue. One of my favorites of the whole relaunch. We got a tonne of information and character development, and Mary-Maria is really fascinating now. Tte new explanation for Archer's powers is great, largely because it differentiates him from the many Taskmaster type characters out there. And the way the Boon worked actually was something I'd not thought of, and that pleased me.

Plus, Geomancer! Briefly. Great set up for the next arc! My body is ready for more Valiant!
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Another really good Valiant issue! I'm getting the Archer and Armstrong dynamic I wanted from this.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

So we all had the thought about why isn't Archer affected by the Boon device.
    It seems a bit unfortunate that Mary-Maria who cares for Archer and was ready to give him some "good" news is walking out of this in an altered state that appears less than good. I hope we can chalk it up to the Boon cause I was really hoping she'd be a type of "Spoiler" following Obie around.

So help me out here. The only reason our 3 brothers are alive and/or rejuvenate is cause they are essentially just drawing out a new life force from the Boon energy like a type of ATM? They are living on stolen souls? That was my takeway.

Good to see more Ivar since all we got in A&A #1 was a cameo. It does mean we need an explanation on why the brothers weren't affected by the Boon also. All being Harbingers is a convenient answer. Hoping for more nuance though.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

So help me out here. The only reason our 3 brothers are alive and/or rejuvenate is cause they are essentially just drawing out a new life force from the Boon energy like a type of ATM? They are living on stolen souls? That was my takeway.
    I don't think they are continuing to draw from the Boon's energy into the present. I think we were supposed to take away that the Boon had stolen the lives of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people in the beginning of Issue #1, and then transferred that life energy to the brothers, thus granting them immortality.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So we all had the thought about why isn't Archer affected by the Boon device.
    It seems a bit unfortunate that Mary-Maria who cares for Archer and was ready to give him some "good" news is walking out of this in an altered state that appears less than good. I hope we can chalk it up to the Boon cause I was really hoping she'd be a type of "Spoiler" following Obie around.

Good to see more Ivar since all we got in A&A #1 was a cameo. It does mean we need an explanation on why the brothers weren't affected by the Boon also. All being Harbingers is a convenient answer. Hoping for more nuance though.
    I think FVL still has a lot of 'splaning to do. I am looking forward to it though.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I don't think they are continuing to draw from the Boon's energy into the present. I think we were supposed to take away that the Boon had stolen the lives of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people in the beginning of Issue #1, and then transferred that life energy to the brothers, thus granting them immortality.
    That's what I thought it said, kind of like how Philospher's Stones in Fullmetal Alchemist work in regards to Hohenheim being made of one. They seem immortal, but they actually are just drawing on all these extra lives as fuel. Sort of an infinite one-up mushroom thing.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    That's what I thought it said, kind of like how Philospher's Stones in Fullmetal Alchemist work in regards to Hohenheim being made of one. They seem immortal, but they actually are just drawing on all these extra lives as fuel. Sort of an infinite one-up mushroom thing.
    I re-read this issue again last night and this is what I took away from it again. The real question in my mind is why Archer was immune to the Boon's life-stealing power, and why Mary Maria was the recipient of that life force.

Did Armstrong have a "bottomless satchel" in the original series? I don't remember...
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

I re-read this issue again last night and this is what I took away from it again. The real question in my mind is why Archer was immune to the Boon's life-stealing power, and why Mary Maria was the recipient of that life force.

I was confused by this as well, especially since it seemed like her life force was being drained along with everyone elses. Maybe the boon bestows a particular life force or energy that requires its host to be 'empty'?

Man I suck at speculating about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Did Armstrong have a "bottomless satchel" in the original series? I don't remember...
    Yes, he did, though not as blantly obvious it was inferred.