Default Why aren't the All Star Comics w/ Superman collected in the Superman chronicles?

The internet tells me that All Star was where Superman first crossed over with other DC characters, including Batman. Regardless of quality I would think that would hold enough historical interest to merit a reprint.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    The internet tells me that All Star was where Superman first crossed over with other DC characters, including Batman. Regardless of quality I would think that would hold enough historical interest to merit a reprint.
    But his appearances in All Star Comics were just brief guest appearances (really cameo appearances) until maybe issue 36. Even then, he only has a small portion of the overall story where he really is in solo action for a four-page chapter. I guess DC figured it wasn't worth including since it really wasn't a "Superman" story.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Why aren't the All Star Comics w/ Superman collected in the Superman chronicles?
    I'd imagine because they're reprinted in All Star Comics chronicles...?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I'd imagine because they're reprinted in All Star Comics chronicles...?
    I didn't think All-Star Comics had the paperback Chronicles treatment yet.

They've had the hardcover Archives versions, but so have Action Comics and Superman.
    Superman Chronicles was reprinting all the Superman stories in chronological order, whether they're from Action, Superman, or even World's Fair Comics.

Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I didn't think All-Star Comics had the paperback Chronicles treatment yet.

They've had the hardcover Archives versions, but so have Action Comics and Superman.
    Superman Chronicles was reprinting all the Superman stories in chronological order, whether they're from Action, Superman, or even World's Fair Comics.

Does Superman have blonde hair in the first pic? Funky.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

So when is the first real team-up?
    Army of Crime

I'm not sure . . . I would guess at some point in World's Finest, but I don't know.

As to why they would or wouldn't include it, you'd also have to ask DC.

Superman appeared in 2 All Star Comics issues. One he was in for like 4 panels. The other is from 1947/48 so its a ways off yet.

It would be kind of crazy if they did this with Superman, since they don't do it with any other character. The Wonder Woman Chronicles don't include her appearances in the JSA. The Green Lantern Chronicles don't include his appearances in the JLA, nor do The Flash Chronicles include Flash's appearances in the JLA. If they did that kind of thing, it would mean lots of duplication in reprint books. And for completists who like to buy every reprint book, it's maddenning when there is so much duplication of material.

I think they've struck the right balance by trying to include most of Superman's solo stories, but not team-ups in other features than his own.

So when is the first real team-up?
    The first team-up didn't occur until World's Finest #71, from 1954.

I guess my dream of buying Superman Chronicles and seeing Batman show up is a long way off.
    Army of Crime

Don't look at the glass as half empty, look at it as half full.

If you include the 1940 issue of New York World's Fair Comics and the first issue of World's Best Comics--which becomes World's Finest Comics with the second issue--there are 71 adventures together of Batman, Superman, and Robin on the covers, before they are teamed up inside the 71st issue of World's Finest (and before that in Superman 76).

That's 71 adventures to imagine and wonder about. World's Finest had some of the finest covers in the Golden Age. It's fun to speculate just what happened after the trio helped out those women with their car. Why did they choose to sit astride those guns on that battleship? How many families were fed from the victory garden? Is that really Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo--or just actors--taking those pitches from the trio to promote war bonds and stamps? Who has the best jump shot? Is Robin a hot dog surfer dude?

A person can have hours of fun staring at these covers, wondering about the stories behind them.

The first time Batman appears in a Superman comic is Action Comics #241, in 1958. Then in Superman #132, in 1959. Robin guest stars in that one. As to the World's Finest team-ups, I haven't kept track, but I'd wager those will wind up getting their own book. Otherwise, DC will either have to reprint all stories in both books, or divide them up between both collections.