Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    But how is that any different from some random class 100 brick with no specifically noted weakness to magic? They'd still resist normal damage dealing spells and still be vulnerable to something as esoteric as soul rip.

The only difference would be the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak.
    It's not that different.

Here are, as I see it, the main differences:

He'd be more vulnerable than the ordinary high-end brick against any purely magical effect. For example, a magical pain spell is something Thor would shrug off, but it would drop Supes like a bad habit.

and

Magic weapons will cut through his durability much better then their equivalent counterparts.

Now, you have to remember that the whole "vulnerable to magic" thing came from pre-crisis, and back then, he fought normal dudes with magic knives and their knives cut his hair. Spells being cast around him and missing caused him general physical weakness and outright sickness at times.

DC wrote a dude who was very powerful. To keep new stories coming, he kept getting stronger and stronger and stronger, until he wound up at "effortlessly tows strings of planets around on a chain" level. Initially, he had kryptonite as a (completely stupid) weakness, and being around it more or less dropped him instantly. He didn't fight through kryptonite back in the day, it just dropped him. Of course, they couldn't just have every enemy in DC carry a rock of K around with them at all times, so they created another way to put him on the ropes.

Post-crisis, they notably weakened him, so they backed somewhat off the "Kryptonite drops him instantly and magic is almost as bad" levels, and had him start fighting through those things better than before.

History of DC. :-)

BANNED

How would a cut from a magical blade effect supes if he willed himself to be invunerable towards it.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    How would a cut from a magical blade effect supes if he willed himself to be invunerable towards it.
    I think that you're thinking of Gladiator fromt he shi'ar imperial guard. AFAIK Superman hasn't ever really willed powers to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I think that you're thinking of Gladiator fromt he shi'ar imperial guard. AFAIK Superman hasn't ever really willed powers to himself.
    Maybe he's thinking of the theories that Supes powers are psionic in nature, but there is no proof of that plus he could hardly increase his durability.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Clearly, Supes, both PC and after, was nothing to the really high end magics of folks like the Spectre. The Spectre once willed away Supes's powers. After that, Spec could do anything thim.

Well PC or post crisis are both nothing to cosmics like the Spectre whether they are magical or not. That's more just being completely outclassed rather then anything to do any specific vulnerabilities.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

I've always believed that he takes magic attacks like a muggle would and his wolverine-like healing factor takes care of any lasting damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOf D. View Post
    I've always believed that he takes magic attacks like a muggle would and his wolverine-like healing factor takes care of any lasting damage.
    Well no because a muggle couldn't get hit by fire and not be burned at all or get blasted by magical lightning and not even get knocked off their feet.

He also doesn't really have a Wolverine level healing factor. A healing factor? Yes, but not Wolverine level.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Well no because a muggle couldn't get hit by fire and not be burned at all or get blasted by magical lightning and not even get knocked off their feet.

He also doesn't really have a Wolverine level healing factor. A healing factor? Yes, but not Wolverine level.
    It's still pretty impressive. Supes once took a blast of kryptonite shrapnel to the face. It was embedded all over the place, in the guy's eyes, among other places. Pretty much maybe a minute after the EMTs pulled the shards out, Operation-style, he was fine. It's not the 'I heal in less than a second' stuff Wolvie has occasionally pulled, but it is still pretty crazy.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

I still think the best technical answer so far to the amount of damage it would take to kill Superman is "lethal."
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

He's cut easily by magical weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    He's cut easily by magical weapons.
    Easily?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Easily?
    He was messing around with one of WW's magical weapons and he cut his finger just by touching the tip. The only reason I remember that is because, IIRC, Superman then does something awesome: he flicks his blood at WW so hard the blood destroys a dagger or something she had on her. So yes he even has "super blood flicking" as a power.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

He was messing around with one of WW's magical weapons and he cut his finger just by touching the tip. The only reason I remember that is because, IIRC, Superman then does something awesome: he flicks his blood at WW so hard the blood destroys a dagger or something she had on her. So yes he even has "super blood flicking" as a power.
    It was at a passing small asteroid actually I think. It was in Kingdom Come and it's been a while since I've read that.

It depends on the kind of magic weapon to be honest.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It was at a passing small asteroid actually I think. It was in Kingdom Come and it's been a while since I've read that.
    I think you're confusing Kingdom Come and For Tomorrow. In Kingdom Come Superman was looking Wonder Womans sword over and nicks his thumb on it, in For Tomorrow Supes and WW are fighting, she cuts him with her sword and he flicks a drop of blood at her, breaking the hilt. While these may give the impression it's easy to cut him with magic weapons, you have to remember: A)nicks and serious wounds are not the same thing. Supes took a magic axe to the shoulder/chest in Superman 23, and kept going with the ax in him, B) if he remembers that he has super speed, your not touching him, and C) he has enough of a healing factor that if your blow doesn't kill him, you should run.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...