View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimates #18?

Voters
43. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! An awesome conclusion!

2 4.65%
  • Good. A solid finish to the event.

8 18.60%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

10 23.26%
  • Bad. I didn't really care for this story.

17 39.53%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

6 13.95%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I am dissapointed that Modi and HYDRA was defeated easily, unless HYDRA has the other Infinity Gems and each Gem is going to be use by a different villian.

Also you would think with America being divided that cult leaders, politicians, gangs, and organize crime would take advantage and seek more power.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I am dissapointed that Modi and HYDRA was defeated easily, unless HYDRA has the other Infinity Gems and each Gem is going to be use by a different villian.

Also you would think with America being divided that cult leaders, politicians, gangs, and organize crime would take advantage and seek more power.
    Yah that's the problem. the premise of Divided we fall/United we stand is great but the event was too short and should have been included in more books. If we had more ultimate books. If we look at 616 Civil War there were repercussions in a ton of books. While I didn't like it as much in civil war that was what was needed in DWF/UWS. If it doesn't include these things like you mention the whole event seems kinda unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Yah that's the problem. the premise of Divided we fall/United we stand is great but the event was too short and should have been included in more books. If we had more ultimate books. If we look at 616 Civil War there were repercussions in a ton of books. While I didn't like it as much in civil war that was what was needed in DWF/UWS. If it doesn't include these things like you mention the whole event seems kinda unrealistic.
    Wait its over? Oh it also could have been a good introduction to several heroes and villians to help out or take advantge.

Wow another crap-tastic outing from Humphries. I did get to see Ultimate Wolverine though so I just gave it a "bad" rating instead of "awful." I agree with Plawsky that Ross has gotten a lot better.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Ultimate fan for life TheUltimates09's Avatar

I know I said I was going to drop this book last issue, but since it was the conclusion to the story i figured what the hell I might as well see how it ends. Sigh. I could have used that money to buy lunch tomorrow. Oh well, that's what I get for trying to be a optimist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And just think, if she didn't make the saving catch, everybody would have died from the Hellicarrier exploding and their battle would be for nothing. So in a way, she saved the day.
    BOYAH!

As long as there's a living Cassie, I can be happy.

This issue did not feel good enough as the end of the event. But I guess Ultimates #18.1 will serve as the epilogue so I could see that being a much better ending.

But this story arc for Ultimates was okay at best.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

I enjoyed this issue overall and I was happy with how it turned out. I thought there could have been a lot more done with a plot of this scope and there were parts of this issue that should have lasted longer and things seemed to be solved quickly.

As a line wide event I dont think it worked as well as it should have, spider-man didnt add much and the mutants story while amazing as it was didnt really fit in like I thought they would.

Overall though I had fun with this story I hope the next arc is better though.

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

Man ...

... those Hickman penned Avengers books better be absolutely mindblowing to justify basically killing The Ultimates. I have no reason to think this book will even be worth reading for free, and that's about as bad as it gets. Sorry, Humphries. Nothing personal.
    Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me are people that think Final Crisis is good.

What. Did. I. Just. Read.

Cap's fight with Thor was sooo lame. If you open a dictionary and look for the word "lame", it will say "the fight between Cap and Thor in Ultimate Comics Ultimates #18".

But anyway, in all seriousness, besides how terrible Cap and Thor's fight was, the whole dialogue between Hawkeye, Monica, and Cassie was so cheesy. I was almost cringing while reading it. Ugh.

The only redeeming features of this issue were:
    1) Ross's art definitely improved- it was well done, especially that splash page.
    2) A brief moment of awesome where Cap punched the Hydra guy, saying "I thought so".
    And its because of these two redeeming features that I'll give this book a "bad" and not an "awful".

After one complete arc by Humphries, I can now say with certainty that I really really want a new writer on this book. Please Marvel. We need a new writer for the Ultimates.
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

Sooooooooooo wat happend 2 Nick Fury & Rhodes again?

Given d current situation of a fragmented America wudnt all it b all hands on deck esp since Cap bcame prez?

Or perhaps Humphries feels uncomfortable with dat?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tigris View Post
    Man ...

... those Hickman penned Avengers books better be absolutely mindblowing to justify basically killing The Ultimates. I have no reason to think this book will even be worth reading for free, and that's about as bad as it gets. Sorry, Humphries. Nothing personal.
    Agreed 100%!

Dis is our last issue pending a nu writer on dis title....DROPED!

I haven't got this issue yet but from reading the summary: The face in the portal had better NOT be Thanos! I'm serious. His story arc in Ultimate FF was perfect now leave him the hell alone, his life is a closed loop.

Bringing the mind gem in is an obvious lead to Ultimate infinity Gauntlet, but I can't help but feel that if they force Thanos back into the Ultimate universe it will be SOLELY for Avengers 2 movie hype.

Yeah I know "whine whine whine", but I haven't enjoyed this arc at all. As a non-US reader, this storyline being shoehorned in right on top of a US election has me pretty sick of the whole "President Cap" "America F**K yeah" storyline we seem to be putting up with.

Thank god Ultimate X-Men is still blowing my expectations away.

(God I hate to be "that guy" on the internet who bitches about a comic).
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    (God I hate to be "that guy" on the internet who bitches about a comic).
    Well you sure aren't the only one!
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar

The bottom line is that Humphries doesn't understand how this book is supposed to be. The art is okay and stands alone just fine, but its just wrong for this book. Ultimates is supposed to be DARK. When Captain America becomes president, it shouldn't be on a hellicarrier, on a bright sunny day, with all the super heroes around him. It should be night with destruction all around him and with American citizens dirty, beat up, exhausted and looking up to Cap as their only hope to save their country. Dark! Not this garbage "I'm sworn in office on this perfect day and now I'm running to a jet to save the world and I'll do it before the end of the week *wink*"

Its supposed to be incredibly hard for the heroes. There really was no story. It was just action with the Ultimates crushing the villains everytime. That's not entertaining. I was optimistic about Iron Patriot being in the next issue, but with Humphries running the show who knows. It'll probably be vice president Tony Stark since that's the least imaginative direction they could go in.

Humphries needs to get off this book and until he does, I'm not touching another Ultimates book and that's really tough for me to say considering Ultimates used to be the ONE book I made sure I bought no matter what.