Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    Where do you get you information that says most people do not believe in God? As much as you would like to see otherwise, most people still believe in God and the proportions have not shifted significantly since about 1970. Additionally, Christianity is the faith practiced by most people on Earth, despite the persecution to limit it's spread in various locations around the world; none the less, persecution would logically limit the number of people to openly profess their preference for Christianity; thus, the faith is not larger because of the means you appear to be implying, but for other reasons entirely. There is no trouble with the way the vast majority of Christians interpret God; you're relying on more of the fringe elements of Christianity. Catholics and Lutherans agree on the essential facts concerning God; the discrepancies come in the way Catholics, Lutherans, and Protestants choose to approach God (e.g. Protestants do not believe in having a Pope and differ on the place of Mary, Mother of Jesus); Catholics, Lutherans, and Protestants all agree to a significant degree on the way to God; that's one of those issues that's key to being Christian. I've only cited what's clearly evidence of how the early Christians were treated by all people during the first century AD and it read genocide, although martyrdom has been used to describe the systematic murder of Christians.

Clearly, I'm exercising general civility in the face of the ridicule of a figure like Jesus, if you compare what could be the reaction expressed by another large religion of the last several weeks in the press; try ridiculing that faith and see what civility you get. I know there's an attempt to try pitting Christianity, Judaism, and Islam against one another, but I'm rebuffing the instigation; seems like an attempt to pit the various Christian denominations against one another, as well.
    as a christian i think zero of this post is true
    unless i missed something

BANNED

The Bible does not teach that women should marry their rapist. Christianity, at the level I'm defending it (purely from the Biblical text), is not sexist; you're at the level of where people may have chosen to interpret and, subsequently, practice Christian teaching; additionally, cultural changes does not shift the purity of God's Word. Christianity is not a religion of phobias, but it does define what's write and wrong as derived from the Creator of the Universe; thus, it's not a matter of choice based opinion.
    it's patriarchal and it's insane to act otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    go do some reading.
    I have done the reading and I have that opinion based purely on Biblical text as opposed to separate issue of how various groups may choose to follow Christian teachings.

BANNED

as a christian i think zero of this post is true
    unless i missed something
    Well, put forth your take and open it up for debate, but support it with something other than vaguely disagreeing, as that's little more than rhetoric. Many people who have labeled themselves as Christians behaved in a manner very antithetical to Christian teachings.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 11-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.

BANNED

it's patriarchal and it's insane to act otherwise.
    It may be patriarchal, but that does not, by extension, mean that what was stated was true; that's the way the God of creation directed things.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 11-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.

BANNED

The Bible does not teach that women should marry their rapist. Christianity, at the level I'm defending it (purely from the Biblical text), is not sexist; you're at the level of where people may have chosen to interpret and, subsequently, practice Christian teaching; additionally, cultural changes does not shift the purity of God's Word. Christianity is not a religion of phobias, but it does define what's right and wrong as derived from the Creator of the Universe and biological life; thus, it's not a matter of choice based opinion.
    Deuteronomy 22: 28-29 says you should. Christianity is homophobic and if you deny it you are a moron.

The Christian faith does not exclude women from anything.
    Have you read Paul?

Also, I don't see you denying Christianity does exclude gay people.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I have done the reading and I have that opinion based purely on Biblical text as opposed to separate issue of how various groups may choose to follow Christian teachings.
    What bible would that be?

1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35

34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
    Ephesians 5:22 - 24

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
    23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
    24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.
    Colossians 3:18

18. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
    1 Timothy 2:9 - 15

9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
    Genesis 3:16

16. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    Ecclesiastes 7:26

26 And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart [is] snares and nets, [and] her hands [as] bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The Bible does not teach that women should marry their rapist.
    You're right. It doesn't teach this, it commands this.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

“If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days."

Do you not realize that "your book" teaches that there is only one God, call everyone else gentiles, implies that the God of creation established a special covenant with only your people, and do you follow the ancient history of your fellow Jews? Christianity than came along and made it a faith of inclusion. Also, please try to separate the fact of the matters from your own individual perspective.
    I am we'll aware of the history of my people, and if I wasn't, I would not consult with you about it. Your opinion is slightly biased on religious discussions.

BANNED

that's the way the God of creation directed things.
    record skip.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Deuteronomy 22: 28-29 says you should. Christianity is homophobic and if you deny it you are a moron.
    christianity's relationship to homosexuality can best be described as apathetic, for all that the subject comes up in the holy texts.

edit: that's not apologetic, the little that is said about homosexuality is pretty backwards. when fundamentalists are hysterical over it, it's just best to remember how little material bothers to address the subject.
    Last edited by direction9; 11-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.

BANNED

superman probably approves of gays even more than jesus though
    one point superman

The funny part is there is the exact same amount of factual evidence of the existence of both of them! Some major differences thogh...Superman doesn't judge those he's trying to save...he doesn't have thousands of years of his followers pushing their beliefs on people and he really rocks that cape!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Per Hiero View Post
    Attachment 104261

I know that the above statement may be cliché, overdone, or even extremely cheesy. But, "Jesus > Superman" is something that needs to be out there.

Click anywhere to read the full devotion!!!
    Yeah, I'm an atheist and I don't really care. I just think you don't realize that Superman is supposed to echo Christ. It is on purpose. Even the name Kal-el is angelic.