Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MFitzH2O View Post
    This may bee 'silly' because it SHOULD have been mentioned somewhere in here by a poster with an iota of intellect: It's Moses, people. Moses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    Pffft, this is silly. Everyone knows Superman is a Moses allegory.
    Um...

But then I am Jewish so I would go there, I guess.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think Moses is a more closed figure to Superman than Jesus: both were saved from death in a "floating cradle". Anyway the myth of the messiah always has been present n human cultures. Eventually will fade, as all others useless believes.
    It could be both. But considering how Superman was sent down to earth by his father to save them and to be "an ideal for people to strive towards" and people will "race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall, but in the end, they will join you in the sun" kinda shows that writers more often than not associate Superman to a messiah figure alot like Jesus Christ.
    Not to mention he "died" for a few days then came back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Okay, if we go into the whole "Jesus is God" thing then it gets a whole lot easier.

God will be the one who back in the bible turns a woman into salt for being nostalgic and wipes out the entire population of the planet - with the exception of Noah and his family plus a bunch of animals - and even in the current day seems to either cause or allow tsunamis and the like to wipe out thousands of people at a time.
    Superman > Lex Luthor > God
    God seems to be a fan of incest. Adam and Eva were the first humans – from whom all people come, so their kids had to bang each other to populate the earth. Then we have Noah and his family as the only survivors of the flood- to repopulate the earth incest was needed again.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    It could be both.
    Again, it became a (Christo-)Christ allegory, it wasn't originally.

But considering how Superman was sent down to earth by his father to save them
    This came decades later. He was originally sent to Earth to save him, not humans.

and to be "an ideal for people to strive towards" and people will "race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall, but in the end, they will join you in the sun" kinda shows that writers more often than not associate Superman to a messiah figure alot like Jesus Christ.
    All this came later. Originally, he was more of a cross between Moses and a golem.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    BTW wasn't there a Superman run a few years ago which basically had Superman deal with "The Rapture" (The event in which some ascend so they don't have to deal with the apocalypse, as popularized in the Left Behind novels).
    That was in For Tomorrow, and spoilers:
    Superman caused it...
    end of spoilers

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Let's not forget something: Back in those days, and even before Jesus, people could not wrap their heads around many things and people they might have seen, thus calling them "miracles" and "gods".

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    That was in For Tomorrow, and spoilers:
    Superman caused it...
    end of spoilers
    For Tomorrow RULES. There, I said it.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    For Tomorrow RULES. There, I said it.
    You have no idea how much I love For Tomorrow. There, I said it too
    Cerebral Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    For me, it worked well as an Elseworlds rather than as a main(then)DCU story

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Not a fair comparison. Superman is real. Jesus isn't.
    Damn Right! I like it.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    *High fives*

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    *High fives*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPfDN9L_AZ0
    Cerebral Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think Moses is a more closed figure to Superman than Jesus: both were saved from death in a "floating cradle". Anyway the myth of the messiah always has been present n human cultures. Eventually will fade, as all others useless believes.
    LOL, I envy your boundless optimism.

BANNED

In light of God saying that the creation of Man was 'good' (Genesis) and that He's All-Knowing...are you sure you want to stand by what you said here?

Because God's powerless to just forgive? His 'mercy' doesn't 'work' that way, that He actually 'needed' a blood sacrifice?

You really should be careful with the 'generalised' approach you seem to have - granted, this forum isn't exactly the best place for this kind of discourse, but you should still be careful.
    I strongly stick by what I said. In the Bible, God repeatedly asked questions that He knew the answer to; at that time, part of it appears to be to allow the test of the adversary to enter the picture; Adam, through his exercise of free will, allowed what was good to be corrupted by the adversary; God understood, but His grace allowed Adam and the human race to remain in existence, even though destruction was in order; from mortal prospective, part of why God allowed the human race to survive appears to be knowing that Eve was deceived into disobeying God; God may have partly been showing and introducing the other new concept of mercy. For reasons not understood, God appears to let people make decisions and exercise their free will to teach some type of lessen, even though He already knows the outcome; it's clearly meant for the future rather than the present, to serve as a teaching lesson for people at a future point.

God is not powerless to just forgive; God also has to teach that actions and decisions have consequences. For reasons not yet understood, the consequences for the actions and decisions of Adam was fortified from human destruction to a blood sacrifice, although a very valuable blood sacrifice in His Son serving as the sacrifice. It actually shows how hurt God was by Adam's decision to disobey Him, along with the degree of love He had for Adam.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 11-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.

BANNED

No, that 'thousands of people accepted martyrdom for something that they didn't know was actually false', that they had no means of verifying and, instead, relied on those telling them about it to be honest.
    That's not how the martyrdom took place. The first group of people martyred was Jesus' disciples, and they had very close contact with Jesus. Part of the people martyred were people who saw Jesus both before and just after his resurrection. Jesus's disciples had contact with Paul the Apostle, formally, Saul of Tarsus. These people than spreed the Word which than lead to further martyrdom. Thus, although many did not directly have contact with Jesus, they were also within a generation of the real life Jesus. So, it's no different than say people currently able to read this post becoming martyrs to prove that Ronald Reagan actually lived.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 11-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.