Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    Other than the article to start this thread, this post makes good logic. While there might be a few people who would need to commit psychological suicide before they'll acknowledge the truth supporting the existence of Jesus (e.g. they'll do things such as begin to question whether clouds are above us), there is no one, with a straight face, that could question the fact that Superman is fiction. It's clear that drawing any comparisons between the two, about which actually is fiction, was designed only to be offensive or provocative to millions of serious Christians.

Because Jesus was a real life, historical figure, there was no need to depict events that would parallel Superman, where Superman is a fictional character invented thousands of years later. Clearly, Jesus being God, means that He could accomplish everything Superman could, plus an infinite array of other feats. Superman's feats are subject to the limits of peoples' imagination, while God's feats are beyond humans' ability to comprehend or imagine; so, logically speaking, Jesus would have to be greater than Superman or He could not be God, who is beyond human comprehension and imagination. God only overlaps into the mortal realm because He cares about humans who He created in His own image. If you're literally confused about who's greater, than I suggest seriously researching God and Jesus much more thoroughly; it just simply means that you have a thorough understanding of Superman but lack the same level of understanding about God and Jesus.
    Very well said!
    Cerebral Assassin

Other than the article to start this thread, this post makes good logic. While there might be a few people who would need to commit psychological suicide before they'll acknowledge the truth supporting the existence of Jesus (e.g. they'll do things such as begin to question whether clouds are above us), there is no one, with a straight face, that could question the fact that Superman is fiction. It's clear that drawing any comparisons between the two, about which actually is fiction, was designed only to be offensive or provocative to millions of serious Christians.

Because Jesus was a real life, historical figure, there was no need to depict events that would parallel Superman, where Superman is a fictional character invented thousands of years later. Clearly, Jesus being God, means that He could accomplish everything Superman could, plus an infinite array of other feats. Superman's feats are subject to the limits of peoples' imagination, while God's feats are beyond humans' ability to comprehend or imagine; so, logically speaking, Jesus would have to be greater than Superman or He could not be God, who is beyond human comprehension and imagination. God only overlaps into the mortal realm because He cares about humans who He created in His own image. If you're literally confused about who's greater, than I suggest seriously researching God and Jesus much more thoroughly; it just simply means that you have a thorough understanding of Superman but lack the same level of understanding about God and Jesus.
    I assume the irony of you stating that Jesus was a real life historical figure, and therefore shouldn't be compared to a fictional character like Superman, while in the next sentence proclaiming that Jesus is also fictional (god) is lost on you?

Superman develops powers all the time. For all you know at the end of his career he becomes so powerful that he goes back in time and creates the universe and has a son with a virgin girl Mary.
    I like swords.

Other than the article to start this thread, this post makes good logic. While there might be a few people who would need to commit psychological suicide before they'll acknowledge the truth supporting the existence of Jesus (e.g. they'll do things such as begin to question whether clouds are above us), there is no one, with a straight face, that could question the fact that Superman is fiction.
    I don't disagree with there being an actual person named Jesus.

It's clear that drawing any comparisons between the two, about which actually is fiction, was designed only to be offensive or provocative to millions of serious Christians.
    It offensive that you think everyone should just share your beliefs that Jesus was part of the mythical Catholic Triforce and had the powers of the God force.

Because Jesus was a real life, historical figure, there was no need to depict events that would parallel Superman, where Superman is a fictional character invented thousands of years later. Clearly, Jesus being God, means that He could accomplish everything Superman could, plus an infinite array of other feats.
    He was a real figure. Whether he has powers is entirely dependent on your belief system. More people in the world believe he did not have Triforce God powers than do.

Superman's feats are subject to the limits of peoples' imagination,
    So is whether Jesus was God.

while God's feats are beyond humans' ability to comprehend or imagine; so, logically speaking, Jesus would have to be greater than Superman or He could not be God, who is beyond human comprehension and imagination. God only overlaps into the mortal realm because He cares about humans who He created in His own image.
    Depends on the God/Gods you believe in. Some aren't human at all. Some only have power over certain thing. Etc.etc.

If you're literally confused about who's greater, than I suggest seriously researching God and Jesus much more thoroughly; it just simply means that you have a thorough understanding of Superman but lack the same level of understanding about God and Jesus.
    I would suggest you learn to accept there are other beliefs out there other than your own, and maybe read up on some of them too.
    Last edited by R0NIN; 11-16-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    I like swords.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Originally to some extent, but he's also got a lot in common with Jesus, and has taken on more of that imagery as time has gone on.

Moses was taken from among the people, still. Jesus, like Superman, fundamentally came from above.
    This. Also, the belief that Jesus is God is based solely on faith, and not fact. The Bible is a book with little historical accuracy. I do believe he was real, though, perhaps because that's how I was raised.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    Yeah, lets keep making fun off something that might hurt someone, or else fear will fester. That sounds ridiculous on a comicbook forum.. I've said it, open dialogue and mutual respect goes hand in hand. If people are going to be a dick about it then more power to you.
    My making fun of religion is no more meant to disrespect you than my making fun of Twilight movies is meant to disrespect Twilight fans or making fun of Britney Spears is meant to disrespect Britney Spears fans. They're people who are into things that I'm not, and those without senses of humour about said thing may indeed get offended by my dismissal of something important to them, but - though I sincerely apologize for any offense - I'm dismissing the thing, not the person. If you think you're too attached to the subject to not take it personally and get offended, then please feel free to ignore the thread you know will offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Superman develops powers all the time. For all you know at the end of his career he becomes so powerful that he goes back in time and creates the universe and has a son with a virgin girl Mary.
    That does sound a little like a Morrison plot...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Very well said!
    HAHAHAHA.

Unbelievable.

You really can't make this stuff up.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Not a fair comparison. Superman is real. Jesus isn't.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Just going to pop in here to say that the Historicity of Jesus is as proven as Socrates' and Alexander the Great'. It's wonky, sure, but it still has credence. The Jesus Myth theory is a minority because the standard it would set to determined the historicty of a person would render half of the known ancient history as a myth. It would change the rules for no other reason but to prove the Bible wrong.
    That is simply not true. There is no contemporary of Jesus that met him and writes of him. He is only mentioned after his death. The most famous person that writes of him near his time of death, which is by Josephus that wrote much after Jesus' supposed death, did not write anything in reality but words attributed to him in a primitive attempt to prove Christ were added later.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

As far as comparing two fictional characters, I think Superman is the more compelling one. Jesus is just simply too unbelievable. I think it is more likely some dude from another planet is endowed with super strength and a strong desire to help others shows up than some other dude pops out of his mom without the necessary chromosomes to active cell replication and can turn water to wine and raise the dead but does nothing to teach about disease prevention, hygiene, healthy eating, or give humanity any scientific knowledge to help it rise up out of its' brutal primitive lifestyle. So if I could choose between either showing up to help humanity, I would take Superman any day.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

HAHAHAHA.

Unbelievable.

You really can't make this stuff up.
    Urm ?? Didn't get you there man.
    Cerebral Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Urm ?? Didn't get you there man.
    You came into the thread begging people to stop talking about the subject because you supposedly want an oasis away from Jesus talk. You hope we'll oblige, regardless of whatever enjoyment we might get out of the discussion as is, despite the fact that a small exercise in willpower on your part would prevent you from seeing anything you don't want to see.

And yet.

And yet as soon as someone comes on to post a bunch of pro-Jesus rhetoric, it's all sunshine and moonbeams and slaps on the back, let's share some body o' christ cookies and blood o' christ sangria.

So it's not that you don't want discussion of Jesus here. You're apparently happy to have it discussed so long as it's discussed in the way YOU want it to be, and only that way.

That's just INCREDIBLY lame, man.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

You came into the thread begging people to stop talking about the subject because you supposedly want an oasis away from Jesus talk. You hope we'll oblige, regardless of whatever enjoyment we might get out of the discussion as is, despite the fact that a small exercise in willpower on your part would prevent you from seeing anything you don't want to see.

And yet.

And yet as soon as someone comes on to post a bunch of pro-Jesus rhetoric, it's all sunshine and moonbeams and slaps on the back, let's share some body o' christ cookies and blood o' christ sangria.

So it's not that you don't want discussion of Jesus here. You're apparently happy to have it discussed so long as it's discussed in the way YOU want it to be, and only that way.

That's just INCREDIBLY lame, man.
    I actually saw his post as a REASON WHY we shouldn't have this comparison that's why I agreed to it. Not because it didn't bash on Jesus for Superman's sake or not because it stated Jesus as being superior. I agreed to it 'cause it stressed on the fact that they should not be compared which has been my point from the beginning.
    Cerebral Assassin

The Beatles were bigger than Jesus. Even Flanders know that.
    Part Kryptonian, Part Asgardian, all Genius.

Jesus had to use performance enhancing drugs. The Sun is All Natural.