Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Why should a thread like this exist?
    Jesus is worshipped. People (proud Christian here) believe in him and in his existence. Superman is fictional. We just read about him and be happy. This comparison is one that I'm totally against
    Last edited by Rainzo; 11-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Cerebral Assassin

Superman doesnt judge me for my sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post

Neither Jesus nor Superman can compare to Optimus Christ.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Jesus would lose in a race against any Superman or the Flash. Those wounds on his feet really slow him down.

Why is Superman greater than Jesus? The only wars started in Superman's name are internet flame-wars.

Although, Mary Magdalene beats out Lois Lane any day of the week as far as hot girlfriends go.

(There. I've now blasphemed against Christians and fundamentalist Superman fans. My day is complete.)
    Last edited by CaptMagellan; 11-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Why should a thread like this exist?
    Jesus is worshipped. People (proud Christian here) believe in him and in his existence. Superman is fictional. We just read about him and be happy. This comparison is one that I'm totally against
    To some people, they're both fictional characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    Jesus would lose in a race against any Superman or the Flash. Those wounds on his feet really slow him down.

Why is Superman greater than Jesus? The only wars started in Superman's name are internet flame-wars.

Although, Mary Magdalene beats out Lois Lane any day of the week as far as hot girlfriends go.

(There. I've now blasphemed against Christians and fundamentalist Superman fans. My day is complete.)
    Take a bow, good sir.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    To some people, they're both fictional characters.
    Well Jesus is a nonfictional person, whether he any of the religious stuff associated with him is true or not.

I know this is suppose to be lighthearted and fun and all, but I think a matter that is so sensetive to so many people should be left alone. I'm not even Christian but I know many people follow their belief with sincerity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkNut View Post
    Neither Jesus nor Superman can compare to Optimus Christ.
    Optimus Christ...CANONIZE!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    I know this is suppose to be lighthearted and fun and all, but I think a matter that is so sensetive to so many people should be left alone. I'm not even Christian but I know many people follow their belief with sincerity.
    The thread started chose this, not us.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Well Jesus is a nonfictional person, whether he any of the religious stuff associated with him is true or not.
    Jesus' historicity isn't an automatic given. While currently a minority belief, there are a (growing) number of theologians who take the 'Christ Myth Theory' stance. Scholars such as Robert Price, George Wells, Richard Carrier, and quite a few more argue that "The Christ myth theory (also known as Jesus mythicism, the Jesus myth theory and the nonexistence hypothesis) is the idea that Jesus of Nazareth was not a physical historical person, but is a fictional, mythological or solely incorporeal character created by the early Christian community." Do a search for Christ Myth Theory - it's really interesting reading.

Fascinating arguments both for and against historicity, but the point is that there isn't any conclusive *proof* that Jesus existed historically and that this argument isn't going to be settled anytime soon, if ever.

So, yeah, Jesus may be as *fictional* as any culturally derived myth structure or Superman.

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

So, in no particular order (well, the order they popped up in when I hit 'reply' )

And against Muslims, too (we're so often sidelined on the Jesus (as) aspect. *sniff* )

Jesus' historicity isn't an automatic given.

Fascinating arguments both for and against historicity, but the point is that there isn't any conclusive *proof* that Jesus existed historically and that this argument isn't going to be settled anytime soon, if ever.
    For Muslims, it's settled

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    People (proud Christian here) believe in him and in his existence.
    Muslims, too! (we cannot be Muslim if we don't believe in Jesus (as) (it's just...not the same belief as your belief )

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

[QUOTE=adkal;16158784]So, in no particular order (well, the order they popped up in when I hit 'reply' )

And against Muslims, too (we're so often sidelined on the Jesus (as) aspect. *sniff* )

Muslims, too! (we cannot be Muslim if we don't believe in Jesus (as) (it's just...not the same belief as your belief QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah we got it, you muslims think Jesus is a prophet like Moses or Abraham, stop showing off now.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    The question over historical *proof* isn't settled. Just whether or not your *religious belief* supports one narrative over the other - that is absolutely settled.

What I find fascinating is that some of the loudest voices from the 'myth' camp are theologians who started doing high-level scholarly research *because* they were devout believers... and then they discovered not all the 'evidence' supporting historicity was truly conclusive.

Please can we just not have this? I mean, Facebook and Twitter and many other places have a lot of "against Jesus" posts (even if this isn't "against Jesus", this is a post that would offend both Christians and (as Adkal was so pointing out) Muslims as well), and this was my one place where I could come and post and read posts and be relaxed that nothing like this would come up. Please can we just not have this comparison guys? Thanks a lot.
    Cerebral Assassin

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

People would be much better off if they didn't see it like that. Have some fun, we're all floating on the same rock.