Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Jesus > Superman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2702333-jesus_is_greater__than_superman_super.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	104261

I know that the above statement may be cliché, overdone, or even extremely cheesy. But, "Jesus > Superman" is something that needs to be out there.

Click anywhere to read the full devotion!!!
    "And in the end, when all's said and done... good guys always win. The End."

--Fat Friar

The Raven

Superman's died and defeated multiple versions of the devil. He's about to defeat another one just now in Action.

He's also got a cooler costume, so Supes beats Jesus 10/10.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is a stronger idea.

He's the Christ for an age of atomic bombs. Much grander, much stronger; the ideal of the human spirit put into constant motion.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Can Jesus fly? No.
    Can Superman die and come back to life? Yes.
    Supermans wins.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman is a stronger idea.

He's the Christ for an age of atomic bombs. Much grander, much stronger; the ideal of the human spirit put into constant motion.
    A stronger idea than God Incarnate suffering, dying and rising for the salvation of all mankind?

Nah...but Superman certainly parallels Christ in many ways, as the God-Man living among us not just as a savior but a friend.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    A stronger idea than God Incarnate suffering, dying and rising for the salvation of all mankind?
    Superman does all that before Breakfast.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Wow.

um...

So many generalisations and selective brush strokes in your blogpost (are you claiming, for example, that Jesus (as) said 'Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands' before saying 'It is finished'? I know there are many who would claim it was the other way round ). I was hoping, honestly, there would be more. An actual analysis...but...alas.

(It's ironic (for me) in light of last night when, as I was about to leave the masjid on this tiny island, a man rushed over, excited and nervous, and...well, 'shed' his Christian upbringing of 47 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Nah...but Superman certainly came to parallel the 'mainstream' version of Christ in many ways, as the God-Man living among us not just as a savior but a friend.
    The reason for those insertions is because (i) the 'Christian' influence on the Superman-story came later down the line and (ii) the Trinitarian and 'God-Man/Man-God' version of Jesus (as) came years after he was 'gone'.

Just sayin'.

Anywho...this thread's probably not going to be around for long and will likely get massively derailed...

I don't know what's the fuzz between Superman and Jesus is all about. Every one knows the real Jesus of the modern age is Robocop.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I don't know what's the fuzz between Superman and Jesus is all about. Every one knows the real Jesus of the modern age is Robocop.
    ...I thought it was Neo...

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    ...I thought it was Neo...

Oh well...

No, no, it's clearly Robocop. Even the director of the movie thinks it is.
    Come, my brethren, let us proclaim together the 3 holy directives!
    "Serve the public trust!"
    "Protect the innocent!"
    "Uphold the law!"
    But yes, Neo is a worthy candidate.

I thought this was settled after The Dark Savior Returns when Jesus turned water into kryptonite. Or has Morrison retconned that into being another delusion Superman suffered while in the Phantom Zone?

Yeah, walking on water doesn't seem all that special when you can fly through the sky.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That's no biggie for Superman, he's done it all countless times.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.