Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Kieran_Frost expressed a hope that Christopher, the new black guy in ANXM, would be gay. He got some pretty abusive responses from people, who demanded that the guy be an "alpha male". Also, in this thread and others, women of colour have been dismissed out of hand as being nothing more than "white man's fantasies" by the same sort of people.

It's genuinely difficult to try and reason when presented with that sort of mindset.

I'd like to say that the "people of colour can't hide" argument also applies to women, and the prejudices we face are just as real. As Rheged pointed out earlier, inequalities against women still exist in law and in the workplace, or have only recently been overturned; decades later than legislation passed to establish and preserve the rights of people of colour to the same. I hope you personally can appreciate where I'm coming from with that, even if others will dismiss it as they have before.
    True there is privilege for being straight and male. Just like you get it for being white. Still point me to a time in American History where its worse to be a White Female then it is to be a Black Male. Normal in America is sadly defined as a Straight White Christian Male who is not poor (ie trailer trash). The farther you get away from that the more discrimination you are going to get. Although not all those things impart an equal amount of discrimination and that is not even counting a multiplier effect for having more then one from that list.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 11-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    True their is privilege for being straight and male. Just like you get it for being white.
    Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're getting at with that.

Thanks.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

My final post in this topic is that everyone seem to discuss diversity from their perspective put emphasize on their group Jagged fel has more concern about Black People,Kieran Frost has more concern about LGBT,Lady Alternate has more concern about female,Rheged has more concern about Atlanteans,The one thing you can get everybody to agree on is comics needs to be more diverse period.We can waste or time accuse people being racist,sexist,homophobic and have circle discussion about one post is trying to keep the other post minority down or come to simple argument that more minority is needed period. So here is to hoping that Remender adds Black gay female mutant Atlantean so that everybody can be happy

Peace

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're getting at with that.

Thanks.
    The default is white, straight, male.

The idea is that you deviate from one, you will have disadvantages, but if you fit the others, you still have certain privileges from the ones you fit into. So if you are a black straight male, you still have the societal privilege that comes with being straight and male. White non-hetero male are still white males, but the non-hetero part will carry some societal issues.

In order words, if you are a POC, non-hetero, female (or other genders that do not fit the M/F binary)... Well, your experiences will most likely not be a fun one.

In theory. It's way more complex than that.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    The default is white, straight, male.

The idea is that you deviate from one, you will have disadvantages, but if you fit the others, you still have certain privileges from the ones you fit into. So if you are a black straight male, you still have the societal privilege that comes with being straight and male. White non-hetero male are still white males, but the non-hetero part will carry some societal issues.

In order words, if you are a POC, non-hetero, female (or other genders that do not fit the M/F binary)... Well, your experiences will most likely not be a fun one.

In theory. It's way more complex than that.
    Nice simplification other factors include religion, disability, socieconomic status, etc.

True there is privilege for being straight and male. Just like you get it for being white. Still point me to a time in American History where its worse to be a White Female then it is to be a Black Male. Normal in America is sadly defined as a Straight White Christian Male who is not poor (ie trailer trash). The farther you get away from that the more discrimination you are going to get. Although not all those things impart an equal amount of discrimination and that is not even counting a multiplier effect for having more then one from that list.
    Seriously? What part of my post on second class citizens in the military did you not understand? Is there any legislation in place now trying to restrict what a black male does with his sperm? Do we have a female president in the US? How about pre-1920, before women had the right to vote, while males of any color could do so?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Seriously? What part of my post on second class citizens in the military did you not understand? Is there any legislation in place now trying to restrict what a black male does with his sperm? Do we have a female president in the US? How about pre-1920, before women had the right to vote, while males of any color could do so?
    do white females have a hard time hailing a cab. are they disproportionally incarcerated?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    do white females have a hard time hailing a cab. are they disproportionally incarcerated?
    Disproportional is an understatement, lol.

We might as well get back on topic, before things get further out of hand.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Pre 1920s, sure black males technically had the right to vote you know if they could get through the mobs, tests and poll taxes. Not to mention Black Males spent a lot of there early days in a segregated military getting used as cannon fodder. Remind when white woman got hung from trees for whistling at Black Men? How about slavery? How about Imperialism? How about Jim Crow? How about forced integration of Schools? How about disproportionate prison population? How about racial profiling? How about Stop and Frisk? Oh and sure white woman get pay discrimination but you do know black males get paid even less right? But lets not limit it to Blacks. How about Native Americans? Got their land stolen, genocide and forced onto Reservations.

Do White Females get discrimination absolutely but Black Males get it as well and that is not even talking about Black Females or other POC Males and Females. And historically there is no comparison on who has gotten it worse. So don't you even try that bs. There is no privilege greater then White Privilege in America do others exist absolutely but they all pale to White Privilege.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 11-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Sigh sucked back in

When was last time the President was threat to be killed by so many people? When was last time white woman was called suspicious for walking through a neighborhood and then shot ? Are they place in Untied States where a women can't go because of the color of her skin because they might be killed? How many times do get followed around a store because of the color of your skin? How many times do you called N*gga on Xbox live? How times have white women gotten pulled over by police because of color of their skin? How many times have you seen somebody walk on the other side of the street to avoid or hold their bag tighter in elevator?

I would love to say i am exaggerating but all of things have happen to me or my friends. Explain to me how not being able to vote or can't do combat is in the same category as that.I will freely admit that Gay people have to deal with the same kind of BS too but it is much hard to look at somebody and say the are gay than it is to look at some say the are Racial minority.Which has been my point for this whole time being part of majority means you can hide at times from some of the BS. It does not mean that gay white male or white female does not suffer as well,It means that sometimes the drama is mitigated being some what by being white.

driving miss daisy

fried chicken

watermelon

trayvon martin

well-spoken

good hair

Oh yeah when was the last time a White Female was gunned down and everybody blamed her for getting shot and the shooter did not even get arrested until the case picked up national media attention.

So the moral of the story I assume is: No matter what if you're white you're alright.

Uh... Guys?

Can we get back on topic. This is just isn't the place for this, and I know I'm the last person who should be saying this, but still, this has the possibly of going WAY too far.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Oh yeah when was the last time a White Female was gunned down and everybody blamed her for getting shot and the shooter did not even get arrested until the case picked up national media attention.
    why isn't Lindsay Lohan in prison?