Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Saga #7

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Saga #7

Back from a brief hiatus, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples bring more space opera surprises in "Saga" #7.

Full review here.

I'm a little surprised it's not a 5 star review as it reads a bit better than previous issues. It's a pick of the week in my reviews at the link in my signature and I' sticking to it.

And really Vaughn deserves props, as I for one wasn’t sure if he could pull of the dynamics between parents and son, parents and daughter in law so effectively. You get a sense, with only a few blips of dialogue that there are ingrained issues, a history if you will, between the characters.

Plus the flipping genital-ed giant! I posted a picture of said giant here.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Plus the flipping genital-ed giant! I posted a picture of said giant here.
    Wha? *Sees picture and then throws up*

Wow, I think didn't think there was a way for me to unsell me on a comic in only one panel, but there you go. Bravo Vaughn.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post

Wow, I think didn't think there was a way for me to unsell me on a comic in only one panel, but there you go. Bravo Vaughn.
    It's a adult book, and Vaughn is just showing a more realistic view of what that creature would look like if it was real by giving it a anatomy. I mean haven't you ever seen creatures in those cheesy pulpy sci fis and not think damn, where is there genitals? I sure do.

This book is amazing. Brian and Fiona are killing it!

I’m happy Izabel isn’t gone. Unfortunately The Stalk is, but from the looks of it we’ll be seeing more of her (in flashbacks, or whatever capacity) in the future.

And yes, the ogre/giant was revolting.
    Last edited by 'Flo; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    SistaSoOfficial --CBB. -- THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

Bring. Jenn. Back.
    Because harsh reality is clearly a handicap.

Seriously?
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

It feels like it's been so long since the last issue of Saga. I was starting to worry that Vaughn had put the story on hiatus. I'm glad I was wrong because this issue reminded me of why this series is so awesome. Vaughn's writing style and Fiona Staples' art makes for a perfect combination. Granted, that scene with the ogre with the massive genitals was a bit jarring, but that's the kind of imagery I've come to expect with Saga and it's all the more awesome because of it. This issue didn't miss a beat because of the hiatus. I think it's more than worthy of a 4.5 out of 5 if not higher. Saga may not be heavily hyped as a Marvel or DC book, but it's earning all the praise it gets in all the right ways.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Simply an amazing book. For those of you who haven't been on it from the start, you should really get on it. It's amazing how a book with such crazy characters, locations and ideas ends up reading just so dang REAL. It's like almost nothing in the book is realistic and yet I feel like that's a universe that could totally exist, with everything in it. And it never feels like "wow they just threw that weird thing in just for shock value". Even though there are a number of shocking moments (including this issue's massively disgusting giant) you never feel like they are being put in just for shock value. It's all very natural and organic. Feels like they are just telling the story they want to tell and not bowing to any pressure of conformity or boundary. I have absolutely NO idea where this is going but I love this ride SO MUCH!
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Is anyone taking bets on how many Eisners this book will win over its run? Seriously, it's hitting the mark on every single level.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Come to think of it...it does seem sort of unimportant to have such a beast. It's not like it needs to have its penis out for any other reason than to be a shock to the reader.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Come to think of it...it does seem sort of unimportant to have such a beast. It's not like it needs to have its penis out for any other reason than to be a shock to the reader.
    What's wrong with a good old-fashioned shock? Michael Haneke does it, why not Saga?
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    It's a adult book, and Vaughn is just showing a more realistic view of what that creature would look like if it was real by giving it a anatomy. I mean haven't you ever seen creatures in those cheesy pulpy sci fis and not think damn, where is there genitals? I sure do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Seriously?
    Nah. I'm not being serious. But still, I'm not really sure if I'm interested in this. I've read Y the Last Man, Ex Machina (okay, just one volume), and the Runaways; but I don't think they are all that special. They're not bad comics at all by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't as good as people make them out to be. They're fine, but nothing more. So when I see Saga, I'm curious but not all that excited to read it. Then I read and hear about how graphic it is and I start ending up questioning it, likes its merely trying to shock people as it makes it point. I've read or seen stories like that before in the past and absolutely hated them for it (MW is the worst offender), with how the shock ends up taking away from the story.

So, with a writer that I think is merely good but not great and the idea of shock value and possibly taking away from the experience, I'm not all that excited to try reading it. The first issue is for free on Comixology, so I'll try it there. Who knows, it could be better than what I'm thinking.

i just can't fault this book.

well....besides the fact that it's not a few years old so i have a lot more issues to read, the wait in between releases kills me

Ugh. How the hell did they get away with putting that troll in there? Jesus. Credit to Fiona for the art on that but damn that was too much. But what can I praise about this book that hasn't already been said? I can't because it has been said.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknet View Post
    Ugh. How the hell did they get away with putting that troll in there? Jesus. Credit to Fiona for the art on that but damn that was too much. But what can I praise about this book that hasn't already been said? I can't because it has been said.
    its a mature book?