Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Basically, yeah. But why even bother with that much of an explanation? I love continuity, and the world building and all that, but it isnt needed for the purposes of telling fun, varied stories with these characters. Or at least, not to the extent that we obsess over it now.

Its like, the cartoon Batman and the movie Batman and the comics Batman are all Batman, but they're not the same Batman, and everyone accepts that and rolls with it just fine. People dont ask why Christian Bale didnt refer to his fists as the "hammers of justice" in the films, nor do we question why Two-Face is still alive and kicking in the comics when he clearly died in Dark Knight.

And with the example I listed, we're never going to see the Mature rated Batman from his series of original trades cross worlds to team-up with the Batman from the "normal" weekly issues (which would essentially be replacing the monthly comics) so the need to explain the multiverse is even less important.

What Im trying to say is, we over-think it. We need reasons and logic, and its completely silly when we try to apply these things to people in spandex who can fly and toss tanks around. Comics, at some point, started taking themselves too seriously when they should just be concerned with telling a solid, entertaining story. If that happens to contradict an old story that happened in the past, who cares? Continuity should not trump entertainment.
    I hear what you're saying, but you still need to distinguish the stories that deviate from the current sequential storyline from the ones that don't. It's just too confusing otherwise.

If you don't want to set the story on a different Earth, then just say it's an imaginary story. It worked mighty fine for the writers of the Silver Age who wanted to tell a different type of story that couldn't be done normally.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Oh there'd have to be some way to tell them apart, yeah. I mean, if you have a kid-oriented OGN series, a Mature OGN series, a weekly "regular" comic, and whatever else, you need to make sure you can tell them apart. Dont want the six year old buying a Batman trade that's written for adults by mistake. Call them Elseworlds or Earths-1/2/Z/616 whathaveyou. Doesnt really matter.

Its all about not missing the forest for the trees, yknow?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Are there really any superheroes that are against gays? Particular ones that aren't characterized as illogical assholes? If Wonder Woman is supposed to be a nice smart person like they say she is, then she must be okay with gay people. She's also believe in the Greek gods and the society that worshiped them were open to bisexuality (not gay marriage though). Honestly if there was a major superhero who was homophobic in the big two I would probably stop reading comics from that company all together.
    Northstar's twin sister, Aurora, hated him for being gay, hence her chaning her costume and powers. I think Rorshach in Watchmen was homophobic. Frank Miller's Batman might have been because he rejected Dick Grayson for loving him. Not sure to what degree. I don't know anymore notable superheroes, except Grunge, who've expressed disgust at gay couples. But back in the day this subject wasn't really covered except in other titles, like those of Vertigo.

BANNED

In Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, women were not allowed to be gay. It was a crime if they were caught. They were put to death, they were forced off a cliff to die. The Amazons were viewed as the daughters of Ares the god of War, they viewed as biological sisters or adopted sisters. Some historians viewed Queen Hippolyta as the mother of all her Amazons.
    Last edited by caprice10; 12-09-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caprice10 View Post
    In Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, women were not allowed to be gay. It was a crime if they were caught.
    That...doesn't jibe with what I've heard...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

In Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, women were not allowed to be gay. It was a crime if they were caught. They were put to death, they were forced off a cliff to die.
    I sincerely doubt that, since the Spartans practiced homosexual bonding rituals in the army.
    Actually I am pretty certain homophobia only really took hold because it didn't fit into the world view of some people with political power and a book.

The Amazons were viewed as the daughters of Ares the god of War, they viewed as biological sisters or adopted sisters. Some historians viewed Queen Hippolyta as the mother of all her Amazons.
    Hippolyta was supposedly the only one who was supposed to be Ares' daughter, it was never explained where the others came from.