Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    So what. Gail just has her opinion and thats all it is. Another writer could think differently. I've never been too thrilled with the WW writers over the last 10 years or so. A person could change it, so the Amazons had guys stashed somewhere on Paradise Island for friday night... like a petting zoo.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    It just humor. just having some lite fun.
    Hi Lotech,

Its against board policy to comment negatively about the integrity of another poster's post. Whether through words or pictures. So while it may be humor, it is humor at another poster's expense.

So let's stay away from it.

Javier Velasco

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Hi Lotech,

Its against board policy to comment negatively about the integrity of another poster's post. Whether through words or pictures. So while it may be humor, it is humor at another poster's expense.

So let's stay away from it.

Javier Velasco
    I trust the rules will be enforced equally? I never thought it would be taken so negatively, I apologize.

I think I'm going to leave the WW board for awhile. Let things cool down.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.

So what. Gail just has her opinion and thats all it is. Another writer could think differently.
    I have to agree with Lotech here. It doesn't matter what Gail's opinion was, if Gail never actually took pen to paper and wrote it into a story. And then it wouldn't matter until DC actually allowed it to be published.

It isn't that I don't value a creator's ideas (as in JK Rowling saying that Dumbledore was gay), but Gail (or Rucka, or even Azzarello for that matter) isn't the final decision maker when it comes to Wonder Woman, DC is. So until DC allows WW to be anything other than straight, then those writer's personal beliefs are simply that. Personal beliefs.

I trust the rules will be enforced equally? I never thought it would be taken so negatively, I apologize.
    It's cool. Lets just move forward :)

And if you ever feel the rules are not being enforced equally, please bring it to our attention.

TY

Javier Velasco

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I have to agree with Lotech here. It doesn't matter what Gail's opinion was, if Gail never actually took pen to paper and wrote it into a story. And then it wouldn't matter until DC actually allowed it to be published.

It isn't that I don't value a creator's ideas (as in JK Rowling saying that Dumbledore was gay), but Gail (or Rucka, or even Azzarello for that matter) isn't the final decision maker when it comes to Wonder Woman, DC is. So until DC allows WW to be anything other than straight, then those writer's personal beliefs are simply that. Personal beliefs.
    Speaking of personal belief.. it is mine that Diana is heterosexual. I think instances such as the panel I presented earlier, as well as other writers such as Rucka (with Io.. was it Rucka..?) was also tantalizing moments insinuated by the writers. As I have heard others coment: What the character does behind closed doors stays behind closed doors. DC announced Green Lantern (earth 2) is gay.. and... well... so what? I've been reading that title and it hasn't even been referenced since the first couple of issues nor has it made any difference from what I can tell. I dont even know what kind of difference it COULD make.

I don't even think that announcements like that cause much of a shockwave as people think it would. One of the first characters to appear in comics being openly gay was Rictor, by Louise Simonson. I believe it was in the X-Factor comic in 1986-87. I remember it being on the news.

Tracked it down: Here it is.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kApto83SZK...2819581411.jpg

In 2012 this sort of thing ISNT that big.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jestersjoker View Post
    You do know that one of the reasons that the Greek/Roman civilization more or less died out was because of a very low birth rate.
    really now? I thought it was the inbred emperors, foreign invasions and religious schism that did that?

Sharia law provides for up to 4 wife's
    It also the reason some people decide 14 years olds need to be married, demands the death penalty for religious insensitivity, disallows women from having rights...so if you really want this move to Africa.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

I think I'm going to leave the WW board for awhile. Let things cool down.
    There's no need to leave.

I asked for folks not to post pictures only because:

1. Links break or don't work on some computers, so some folks get a response that's just a little red X
    2. Pictures take up more bandwidth, and a brief exchange like the two of you had wasn't bad, but it can rapidly spiral out of hand
    3. Pictures can be misinterpreted. It's harder to tell if folks are being humorous or if they're being dismissive/insulting without words for context

And as Javier said, if you feel there are other posts that are being overlooked, please use the Report feature. We may not agree with your assessment, but we may also have overlooked it.
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

1) If you remember my post, my line about bringing back the Comic code was ended with a question mark.
    2) I have credit for Diana, but I don't trust DC's writers at all.
    3) Wonder Woman is more culturally significant than all Green Lanterns combined, maybe more significant than all superheroes combined (except for Superman, perhaps).
    4) I know all too well what its like to be harrassed, bullied, and isolated for being a fan of a gay character or entertainer (Queen).
    5) I'm no fan of censorship, but I don't see a rating system as preventing content.
    6) The First Amendment isn't always enforced evenly.
    7) Open-mindedness is subjective.
    8) Changing Wonder Woman's orientation would be more than a black-eye, and would stick longer than five minutes.
    9) Sexual Orientation is determend by chemical configurations in the brain, not external things like growing up in a single-sex environment.
    10) If Wonder Woman were made gay or bi, Fox News would smear the character every time a tv or film project would be launched.
    11) I'm tired now.
    Okay, so I shamefully admit I dont know how to break a quote up into separate parts so I can respond to each in kind. Thus, you are all going to get a block response here.

1) This is true, and I was just putting my opinion on the Code out there. If it came across as being directed at you, that wasnt my intent. Just my blanket opinion on the matter.
    2) Ha! True that, man. But they're not all bad. Some of them have even knocked out some gems on occasion.
    3) I'd mostly agree with you there. Certainly more important than Green Lanterns. I think Superman tops the list, but Im biased as hell. But however you slice it, Diana just might be one of modern fiction's greatest achievements. Not sure what your point is though. Still, agreed!
    4) Im sorry to hear that you got the short end of the stick, man. (girl?) It still amuses me that several of our greatest sports anthems came from Queen, given that jocks have a bad rep for being homophobes. But, and not to be insensitive here, I again miss your point. Are you saying that kids would avoid buying Wonder Woman merch if she were not straight?
    5) Why should content be prevented? I certainly agree that a rating system is needed. As a parent, I want to know what my son is getting into. But the "T for Teen" system used in video games and now comics seems decent enough. If it doesnt seem to work, perhaps the parents should pay more attention?
    6) Never has been. Our country (assuming you too are American) was founded on ideals that we have never managed to match up too. But that doesnt mean we stop trying, or that someday we wont truly be what we strive for.
    7) Fair enough. My stubbornness can slip into closed mindedness at times. But mostly I just dont tolerate intolerance. Still, you never gear yourself for the lowest common denominator. You aim high, and if some fall behind.....sad to say, but survival of the fittest, so to speak.
    8) Okay, ten minutes. But look at the news. Some people are still trying to make homosexuality a big deal. But they are failing wonderfully. Look at One Million Moms. Laughed off the 'net. Granted, Diana is a different animal because she is so well known. But I maintain that people would roll with it fairly quickly, and the voices of those few who cant would simply be like the people right now who are still racist. A bunch of last century idiots screaming their dying breath.
    9) I've never said that the Island should/would/could be the only factor in Diana being something other than straight.
    10) Fox News smears everything. Let them. They'll end up making fools of themselves.
    11) I hear ya.

And hey, almost twenty pages in and things are still chill. Thank you everyone for not letting this thread turn into the nightmare I feared it would!

THE LOW BIRTH-RATE IN ANCIENT ROME:
    A POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTING FACTOR
    http://www.rhm.uni-koeln.de/128/Devine.pdf
    http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com...e-in-10-years/

No I do not want Sharia law here in America because I am a conservative republican Christian and would not fare well in a society that is ruled by sharia law wither it be here in America or in Africa.
    Look I have been bullied attacked persecuted for being a Christian, because someone thought I was gay and I am not. And I have also been attacked for being half Hispanic so please do not use the persecution card on me.
    Christians suffer persecution all over the world so please.
    And bullying and attacking gays or any group that is not Christian is not a Christian ternate; it goes totally against what Christ taught.
    If same sex marriages is legalized, I see no reason why polygamy should not be legalized provided it is with consenting adults especially if it increases the birth rate. Or not.
    This thread is about increasing Wonder Woman sales.
    And I was just putting out there that if DC and Marvel want to increase sales they might have to seek readers outside the country which means writing comics that are acceptable to their culture.
    Especially when you look at Russia who’s population will decrease from 150 million to less than a 100 million in 60 years. I mean the same thing is happening here and with a declining birth rate and with comprehensive immigration mandated which means our borders will be locked down.
    And I watch Fox News and they do not smear everything. They give the news the liberal media will not.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

THE LOW BIRTH-RATE IN ANCIENT ROME:
    A POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTING FACTOR
    http://www.rhm.uni-koeln.de/128/Devine.pdf
    http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com...e-in-10-years/

No I do not want Sharia law here in America because I am a conservative republican Christian and would not fare well in a society that is ruled by sharia law wither it be here in America or in Africa.
    Look I have been bullied attacked persecuted for being a Christian, because someone thought I was gay and I am not. And I have also been attacked for being half Hispanic so please do not use the persecution card on me.
    Christians suffer persecution all over the world so please.
    And bullying and attacking gays or any group that is not Christian is not a Christian ternate; it goes totally against what Christ taught.
    If same sex marriages is legalized, I see no reason why polygamy should not be legalized provided it is with consenting adults especially if it increases the birth rate. Or not.
    This thread is about increasing Wonder Woman sales.
    And I was just putting out there that if DC and Marvel want to increase sales they might have to seek readers outside the country which means writing comics that are acceptable to their culture.
    Especially when you look at Russia who’s population will decrease from 150 million to less than a 100 million in 60 years. I mean the same thing is happening here and with a declining birth rate and with comprehensive immigration mandated which means our borders will be locked down.
    And I watch Fox News and they do not smear everything. They give the news the liberal media will not.
    Let's take it down a notch.

Nobody is 'playing a persecution card' and this conversation is veering into far too personal territory.

The subject isn't the fall of Rome, or Sharia Law, or Christianity, or same sex marriage.

The question is, 'in the context of a fictional comic book universe, should Wonder Woman be bisexual.'

Let's get it back on track, please :)
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

Ok, let's not let this devolve into something it is not supposed to be.

If you want to refer to distaff ideas and cultural norms, etc. in an argument fine, but please do not use this board as a platform for discussion of those outside ideas in depth. Keep it Wonder Woman related. And not just marginally WW related.

Veteran Member

Are you suggesting that Wonder Woman should not be Lesbian or bisexual because the "declining birth rate" in the U.S. makes it necessary to search for readers in countries that are more homophobic than we are? If that's your argument, it doesn't hold water.

According to the Census Bureau, the U.S. population will double in this century.

Whether current world population levels are sustainable, and whether having replacement-level fertility rates is actually a good thing, is way beyond the scope of this forum. But we can say that for the forseeable future, there will be plenty of Americans (and plenty of people in other countries that are less homophobic than the U.S.) to sustain sales of Wonder Woman and other comics--if only the comics companies can interest people here in buying their books!
    Last edited by slvn; 12-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.

I do not think a Lesbian or bi Wonder Woman will appeal to an older population.
    That is just my opinion
    If DC thinks they can make money by portraying Wonder Woman as lesbian or bi
    Go for it.
    I personally do not think it will work.

The US population is below replacement levels
    This means the population is getting older

The US is not going to depend on Immigration to make up for the lower than replacement levels to make up for the difference.
    http://www.prb.org/Publications/Data...opulation.aspx
    The world population continues to plummet
    http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0502-rhett_butler.html