Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Long time fan here who enjoyed Flashpoint very much. Best to only speak for oneself on matters of fan friendliness.
    I suppose it boils down to what you were a fan of before Flashpoint and if you liked what came out the other end.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Long time fan here who enjoyed Flashpoint very much. Best to only speak for oneself on matters of fan friendliness.
    I didn't love Diana being turned into a ruthless killer who murdered Billy Batson. I always only speak for myself, sometimes I just forget to specify that. But Flashpoint took out characters and situations I was enjoying and thus alienated me. Doesn't seem like DC cared very much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I don't think that either dc or marvel is worried about alienating long time fans anymore.
    Couldn't prove it by their actions. Flashpiont wasn't fan friendly.
    I think there were a lot of unsubstantiated fears about the relaunch going in, but people recognized that DC needed to do something to stay afloat and compete with Marvel. None of the A list characters have had any drastic changes made to them. There have been some costume tweaks and minor backstory changes. Only a dozen or so characters saw drastic overhauls. And a number have yet to appear in the new 52 yet, but that doesn't mean they are gone. That is my take anyway.

As for Marvel, they have the methodology that no matter what they do fans will buy their comics, and so far they are right, no matter the number of fan complaints people still buy the comics.

I didn't love Diana being turned into a ruthless killer who murdered Billy Batson. I always only speak for myself, sometimes I just forget to specify that. But Flashpoint took out characters and situations I was enjoying and thus alienated me. Doesn't seem like DC cared very much about that.
    Wonder Woman didn't murder Billy Batson that was another Amazon.

Also it was an alternate reality. We see this in comics all the time. Flashpoint alienated you? It was a temporary reality that was drastically different but was just a temporary universe in the end.

The curious one.

Part of what alienated me was the change itself, part was the fact that I liked some of the lower tier characters the way they were. The main reason I stuck with DC was because flashpoint (which heavily reminded me of Amazons Attack) was an alternate reality, unlike marvel's civil war storyline that turned heroes into villains permanently for me. When I pick up a dc title these days I hope the heroes win, when I pick up a marvel title I hope the heroes loose because I have more respect for the marvel villains than the heroes. Flashpoint to me seemed just a way to get attention and to tell the old fans to get lost. I miss Secret Six, Power Girl and Zatanna. There have been good titles since then, but I still don't like the way it was done and I still can't shake the feeling that old time fans aren't much of a concern of either company.

I liked it only because it was an alternate world made to be unmade. There was little difference between Flashpoint and the Elseworlds tales that fans ate up for years and didn't feel threatened or alienated by.

Ai se eu te pego ;-) superlantern1987's Avatar

Diana can't be gay, she's currently with Superman. She's already tried his super d***

Anyway, Diana was probably into women prior leaving Paradise Island. However, all of that changed when she met Superman. She realized guys pleased her more than girls.

To be honest, I don't care what Diana's sexual orientation is, as long as the stories are great!!
    Eu amo mulher maravilha.

Superman's sausage wouldbe overcooked for Diana's tastes. Let her eat cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    Superman's sausage wouldbe overcooked for Diana's tastes. Let her eat cake.

As for DC and older fans....no, I dont think we are the priority anymore. Or at least, not as much of a priority as we were. Thing is, older fans leave. Every year, sale numbers were dropping like a rock. So when faced with an aging fanbase and falling profits, what would you do? DC did try a number of things before the reboot to bring sales back up. But to no avail. Hence; reboot.

No, I think DC is working really hard to bring back the lapsed reader, the new reader, and those of us who have stuck around for decades are lower on that priority list. Why not? Those of us still around have proven that we will stick through just about any kind of crap. So why cater to us, rather than the next generations who will keep the company going in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post

As for DC and older fans....no, I dont think we are the priority anymore. Or at least, not as much of a priority as we were. Thing is, older fans leave. Every year, sale numbers were dropping like a rock. So when faced with an aging fanbase and falling profits, what would you do? DC did try a number of things before the reboot to bring sales back up. But to no avail. Hence; reboot.

No, I think DC is working really hard to bring back the lapsed reader, the new reader, and those of us who have stuck around for decades are lower on that priority list. Why not? Those of us still around have proven that we will stick through just about any kind of crap. So why cater to us, rather than the next generations who will keep the company going in the future?
    Speaketh the truth.

DC is just like any company. They are about attracting new customers who then pass it onto the next generation of customers they are going to cater to. If the old consumers want to look back then they should go and buy TPB's because as long as DC's product sell to the new readers they could care less about how old comic fans feel.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by superlantern1987 View Post
    Diana can't be gay, she's currently with Superman. She's already tried his super d***

Anyway, Diana was probably into women prior leaving Paradise Island. However, all of that changed when she met Superman. She realized guys pleased her more than girls.

To be honest, I don't care what Diana's sexual orientation is, as long as the stories are great!!
    sure you know her and her told you this

Well Batwoman and Woder Woman could make a great couple if Kate wasn't loving Maggie.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I can't see DC ever changing her sexual preference, unless Diana's popularity was so low that they would feel they had nothing to lose at that point.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Speaketh the truth.

DC is just like any company. They are about attracting new customers who then pass it onto the next generation of customers they are going to cater to. If the old consumers want to look back then they should go and buy TPB's because as long as DC's product sell to the new readers they could care less about how old comic fans feel.
    Well I'll tell you one thing... I'm an older fan and there have been good times, and bad times. I've stuck through them all. However, one thing that DOES matter to me above-all is the artwork. It is a visual medium after all. I don't think I've ever been put off by anymore more than Akins. Not even J.Thompson way back in the 90's. I know this is a very superficial thing to pick on.. but it is what it is. We all take away what we do, and for me.. that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I can't see DC ever changing her sexual preference, unless Diana's popularity was so low that they would feel they had nothing to lose at that point.
    The way I see it if they can go as far as to change her costume and hook her up with Superman just for the sake of rising sales then they'd have no problem changing her sexual preferance. So far her hooking up with Superman is surprising to me since DC has made her dateless for quite some time

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Well I'll tell you one thing... I'm an older fan and there have been good times, and bad times. I've stuck through them all. However, one thing that DOES matter to me above-all is the artwork. It is a visual medium after all. I don't think I've ever been put off by anymore more than Akins. Not even J.Thompson way back in the 90's. I know this is a very superficial thing to pick on.. but it is what it is. We all take away what we do, and for me.. that's it.
    I'm among the older fan crowd and I've been with DC during it's best and worst years also, there have been moments that turned me off them such as pointless character deaths like Lian from Cry For Justice or Sue's from Identity Crisis, I still read DC during the IC Arc. One can write a good character death and make it impactful but one has to make it stick and don't cheapen it. Still regardless of how I feel it wouldn't matter to DC if I just walk away because they are all about gaining new readers and if new readers like the stuff they're putting out then DC's going to keep providing it to them. It's business, it sucks but thats how it is.