Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Could this possibly turn around and bite the right wingers in the butt? Sure
    Yes--a good example of this would be the flopped boycott of what was reported as the relaunch of Green Lantern as gay: http://jezebel.com/5915058/one-milli...ts-are-pro+gay

but would the WB gamble the world's most recognizable superhero on it? I don't think so.
    Maybe not, but I can see them taking the relatively small risk of launching an alternate-universe mini with a Lesbian or bisexual Wonder Woman. If it goes badly, they can wipe it out wth a highly publicized Wonder Woman/Batman relationship (assuming the Superman relationship is done by then.) If it is well-received--well, then...

And I think the risk will get smaller and smaller in the near future, as same-sex marriage and LGTQ characters in other media become more visible and accepted.
    Last edited by slvn; 11-20-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Maybe not, but I can see them taking the relatively small risk of launching an alternate-universe mini with a Lesbian or bisexual Wonder Woman.
    Now that I think about it, maybe the Morrison Wonder Woman story, considering how it utilizes a lot of her sexuality, will play with this?

It makes sense for the character, but they wouldn't do it because a segment of fandom would riot, and so as not to risk alienating longstanding fans DC won't really touch this at the moment. In the future who is to say.

As for the Amazons Pre-Flashpoint there were always some strong lesbian undertones

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    Now that I think about it, maybe the Morrison Wonder Woman story, considering how it utilizes a lot of her sexuality, will play with this?
    Maybe. I think Morrison, with his taste for metafiction, should introduce a villain named Dr. Wertham, who wants to impose a censorious Cosmic Code and eliminate all pleasure from the universe. I suggested this once for Justice League Dark, but it would be an even better fit for Wonder Woman. And at the same time, Morrison, and/or anyone who does an LGBTQ Wonder Woman mini, could emphasize her traditional value of peace, love, and compassion, and even her ties to Americanism, so anyone who tries to boycott the series looks anti-love, anti-American and allied with the homophobic villain.

BANNED

Maybe. I think Morrison, with his taste for metafiction, should introduce a villain named Dr. Wertham, who wants to impose a censorious Cosmic Code and eliminate all pleasure from the universe. I suggested this once for Justice League Dark, but it would be an even better fit for Wonder Woman.
    We already have Darkseid.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    We already have Darkseid.
    I was thinking more of a moralistic crusader who would be a parody of Dr. Fredric Wertham and the Comics Code. Of Wonder Woman, the real-life Wertham said "The Lesbian counterpart of Batman may be found in the stories of Wonder Woman and Black Cat. The homosexual connotation of the Wonder Woman type of story is psychologically unmistakable. The Psychiatric Quarterly deplored in an editorial the 'appearance of an eminent child therapist as the implied endorser of a series . . . which portrays extremely sadistic hatred of all males in a framework which is plainly Lesbian'." So it seems like an adaptation of Wertham could be an apt villain for a comic introducing a Lesbian or bisexual Wonder Woman. :)

Or do you mean that Darkseid is a comic book equivalent of Wertham, or Anti-Life an equivalent of the Comics Code? Not sure I see it....
    Last edited by slvn; 11-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.

BANNED

Or do you mean that Darkseid is a comic book equivalent of Wertham, or Anti-Life an equivalent of the Comics Code? Not sure I see it....
    I did, like those glimpses we've had over the years of him being in control anywhere the first thing to get censored is free will and hope.

But a parody version of Wertham could possibly work...but I am not sure where (considering the New52 doesnt really seem to be the place for it).

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post

But could it be done? In order for you to accept it, what would need to be done? And not done?
    Yes, making her bisexual could be done. She could be made lesbian, but I don't think it'd be advisable. Swinging one way only reduces options. For example, it would make (re)introducing male love interests difficult.

For me to accept it, it would have to be in the next reboot if it were going to be in continuity. I don't think you could sensibly make the current Wonder Woman bisexual or gay.

If I were charged with doing it, I'd float the idea in a few non-continuity stories to see how the idea played out and how it was received. I'd launch it in the next reboot. I'd have her remember non-sexual (but still romantic) encounters on Paradise Island. I'd show her having romantic feelings for both genders, but keep it fairly tame. Steve Trevor would be the main love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeAge View Post
    Yes, making her bisexual could be done. She could be made lesbian, but I don't think it'd be advisable. Swinging one way only reduces options. For example, it would make (re)introducing male love interests difficult.

For me to accept it, it would have to be in the next reboot if it were going to be in continuity. I don't think you could sensibly make the current Wonder Woman bisexual or gay.

If I were charged with doing it, I'd float the idea in a few non-continuity stories to see how the idea played out and how it was received. I'd launch it in the next reboot. I'd have her remember non-sexual (but still romantic) encounters on Paradise Island. I'd show her having romantic feelings for both genders, but keep it fairly tame. Steve Trevor would be the main love interest.
    But you don't have to reboot the series of the character if you made her bi in an alt universe. If made in an alt universe it as to real affect. She could have her in a relationship with a woman in an alt universe.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It makes sense for the character, but they wouldn't do it because a segment of fandom would riot, and so as not to risk alienating longstanding fans DC won't really touch this at the moment. In the future who is to say.

As for the Amazons Pre-Flashpoint there were always some strong lesbian undertones
    I don't think that either dc or marvel is worried about alienating long time fans anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I don't think that either dc or marvel is worried about alienating long time fans anymore.
    Yes they do

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    But you don't have to reboot the series of the character if you made her bi in an alt universe. If made in an alt universe it as to real affect. She could have her in a relationship with a woman in an alt universe.
    Well, I'd prefer for the change to be in-continuity instead of in an alt-universe. The reason I'd try the idea out in an Elseworlds or something like that would be to gauge response and to just get the idea out there in a comic published by DC. It might also help the writer hammer out his or her ideas before launching similar ideas in the main series. That said, a bisexual Diana in an alt universe would be nice even if the change never made it to the main book.

I feel like a lot of (I presume straight) people here don't understand that sexuality is a fluid thing. It's not straight-bi-gay. It's more like straight-everything in between-gay.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by jestersjoker View Post
    Yes they do
    Couldn't prove it by their actions. Flashpiont wasn't fan friendly.

Long time fan here who enjoyed Flashpoint very much. Best to only speak for oneself on matters of fan friendliness.