Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've always been more of a DC fan and I really only know these Marvel characters from the movies. I enjoy a few Marvel books, one of them being Deconnick's Captain Marvel, so I was looking forward to this issue by a writer I enjoy that was billed as an easy introduction to these characters. It lived up to my expectations. Fun story, witty banter, and light on the continuity. I don't know that it'll lead me to picking up more of the Marvel NOW! releases, but they've managed to squeeze another $4 a month out of me for the time being.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

BANNED

This was utterly FANTASTIC! I'm going to spread the word of this book!

For an Avengers book, this has a lot of nuances that books of the past don't have. If anybody has complained about Bendis spending too much time on Avengers eating around a table, then this book would seem to have a lot of that. Spiderwoman getting Hulk to make a peanut butter sandwich? Not sure if that was Pherimones or, the Hulk just wanted to impress her so she would join his team. Remember it was Jessica that had such a good showing against Hulk/Nul in Fear Itself.

The banter between Stark and Banner also was surprising. I have never seen Banner interacting with the Avengers before, except in his own book in WWH's, but now here, in the kitchen, while Captain America says nothing? It's like Cap wants to sit back and watch these juggernauts shuffle around each other. The contest seems well out of character, but KSD is in the unique position of creating the relationship between Banner and Stark as fellow Avengers. (I do remember one arc of Iron Man where Stark asked the Hulk to help him on a Gamma experiment). KSD has taken the opportunity to look at these two genius' from the point of view of what they would do if you ever put them in a room together. Not in a consultative sense, but just hanging out. How competitive they would end up getting, and that's exactly what happened, with the naked walk from the Baxter Building to Avengers Tower. Here is a drunk, who was in charge of the world, and, the Worldbreakers, standing in a kitchen, talking about their respective delivery success in a seminar. Stark isn't afraid that Banner would Hulk out and tear up his new building, but Stark insists on goading Banner with sentences involving Yoga, and other techniques to suppress his aggressive side. It also reminds me of the first A+X #1 where Hulk and Wolvy fight over cake from the fridge.

Another layer is the discussion between Carol Danvers and Stark. I was interested in this because KSD is doing Captain Marvel as well, so when Stark referenced female appetites, Carol immediately sprang at him and Stark had retract his opinion. It wasn't an overly aggressive response from Carol, but it just made a point of view, and Stark saw his error very quickly.

There was also an undercurrent of downtime that the Avengers wanted protected. Cap and Carol just let Stark and Banner talk, and didn't want their own harmony at downtime to be disturbed. Stark and Banner could muse all they liked, but as soon as Stark tried to involve Carol and Steve, it was rebuffed quickly. It also made me think about Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter, and , the Rogers in charge of the whole security of the world, and the mutants. Here was Steve, away from the rigors of the job, away from his girlfriend, taking time out, (presumable after End Times), and just getting a bite to eat between going there. You sort of see this as the first day of the new Hickman Avengers, just before Hickman gets the Avengers tangled up in all the intrigue he has planned for them.

Another layer of this is the references to Stark being a drunk, and his role after the Civil War, Thors dislike of Stark because of Clor, and Hulks recent history because of WWH. All of them are Stark related, and even the conversation between Steve and Tony held that same tension about it, but they could laugh about it now. I wonder how much this will be addressed as a period that Stark did the right thing, or, will they still hold it against him?
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

I did enjoy the art in the issue, but as for the issue itself, it does seem interesting.

I really disliked every issue of Avengers Assemble up until this one. This is how it should have started from #1 not with Thanos. I laughed out loud a few times which I rarely do while reading comics anymore. KSD really killed it for me would have rather seen her do the New Avengers reboot in the Heroic Age until now. (Don't hate Bendis but was just sick of him).

The book has tons of fun stuff for new readers to like and references for veteran Avenger fans. THIS is how you write a simple, fun, Avengers story. Hopefully this arc does not go on 3+ issues. Only complaint was there was no action until the last two pages, but it is a very minor complaint.

I enjoyed it, but I kept wondering if this book is in-continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I enjoyed it, but I kept wondering if this book is in-continuity.
    It is. Haven't we gotten past that at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    It is. Haven't we gotten past that at this point?
    Considering this is the first time I post in an Avengers Assemble thread, I'd say no.

Just read this. Quite a fun quick read in all truth, KS is a good writer so I'm not all too surprised.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    This was the surprise of the week for me.

I very nearly didn't pick this up. I was much more excited about every single Marvel Now launch this week than this book save All New X Men (which I really didn't pick up).

But after being disappointed in every book - Thor, Fantastic Four, Legacy, Wolverine and the X Men, all very ho hum and just a titch above average - this one had me grinning from ear to ear.

Plot is pretty much secondary, but I'm loving the science, the futurism, and the banter. The banter is BRILLIANT.

Great issue. Great artwork. Pick it up.
    What disappointed you about Thor?