Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The Boys, #72

"The Boys" #72 from Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, with a little Richard P. Clark, brings the entire run to a close in a simple way with some deeper meaning.

Full review here.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

"Bad product."

Heh.

I thought it was a great finale. Unabashedly sentimental, but still with a little bit of that trademark nastiness.
    Expletive Deleted

I really am an Android Claret & Blue's Avatar

Wasa little bit hesitatnt reading a Boys issue on the train today , but the whole issue was fantastic.

If you can look past the X-rated'ed ness of it all The Boys is oen of the best series of teh last 15 years.

Great art & great story.
    http:\\blackadam-comics.ebid.net

I'm assuming that cover gallery included variants, because I have every issue but didn't recognize all the covers.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I enjoyed it but I have to agree that I expected a little more from the last issue. Great series. I'll miss it.

Do you guys recommend this series? I was thinking of jumping on until I found out that it ended. Might be able to find them on ebay for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Do you guys recommend this series? I was thinking of jumping on until I found out that it ended. Might be able to find them on ebay for cheap.
    You know all those people who told you how great Preacher/Sandman was? Well, this book was better.............:)

Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    You know all those people who told you how great Preacher/Sandman was? Well, this book was better.............:)
    I wouldn't go nearly that far, but I liked it.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The series went a bit too long - 90 issues with the three minis, which was too much by about 30 IMO. However it will remain one of my favourite Ennis titles* for the parts that managed to struck home, and they were quite a few.

From the review:
    giving Hughie the easy happiness he hasn't earned

I think he definitely has, and don't see how this happiness was "easy" after all he went through, but eh... opinions vary.

And I do agree that Russ Braun replaced Darick Robertson in a great way, to the point that I started to like his renditions of the characters more that Robertson's - much to my surprise.

*well, after his Punisher MAX, his war comics, The Pro one-shot and Preacher
    Last edited by passer-by; 11-20-2012 at 05:12 AM.

I agree, I don't know what else Hughie would have to do to "earn" his happiness. He figured out what Butcher was up to, saving lives; he protected the Legion of Super-Heroes knockoffs from a real creep; he proved himself worthy of Annie; he grew up and is hardly in the same place he was in when his first girlfriend was mowed down by A-train. He's gone from being a boy to being man who can now deal with the unfairness of the human dilemma, making the whole series a bildungsroman. Too bitter to be a perfect one, but a little sweet offsets that bitterness just fine.

I was a little disappointed how everything ended, but i'm glad it came to a close. It felt a little longer overall than it needed to be. But it's so hard to find violence and sex heavy comics with an interesting story, that it was all worth it.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com