Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The Girls With the Dragon Tattoo Volume 1

Volume 1 of Denise Mina, Leonardo Manco, and Andrea Mutti's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" isn't a bad book but it can't live up to the superior source material.

Full review here.

I thought the first book was kind of a mixed bag. It had the interesting Lisbeth Salander scenes constantly being interrupted by the boring life of Blonkivst, and his awesome sex life. Lisbeth Salander was the only reason I kept reading, and the only reason I want to see the fourth half done book finished.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

BANNED

I never got the point in adapting novels into graphic novels, besides money. I mean I guess it could be done in a cool way, if they decide to actually focus on using the visuals to narrate, but rarely does that happen. I've looked at the Dynamite adaptation of John Carter, and again I just don't see what they're adding that the novels didn't do.

Meeeeeeeh.
    BB

Miiiiiiiiiiiight get the GN later this year.
    Who's there?

I'm a huge fan of the novels (and Fincher's adaptation) but I'll pass on this. It just feels so unnecessary to adapt it into graphic novel form, especially across two volumes for each book.

The graphic novel format really under-served this book. If Vertigo can convince prose readers to go and pick up a comics adaption of the book (and I think that's a big if), when the readers find they only get a tiny bit of story for their $20 before it cuts off with "to be continued" and the principle characters don't even meet one another, I can't imagine those readers will come back six months or a year later for another one. These should be three big volumes, not six small ones.
    * DC New 52 Trade Reading Order - http://bit.ly/dcnew52readingorder
    * DC Comics Trade Paperback Timeline - http://bit.ly/dctpbtimeline

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    ... the fourth half done book finished.
    I can't imagine the fourth book is half done, considering the first book was probably about half done. When I picked up the first book, it quickly became apparent that we were reading a first or second draft.

Well to be honest, I have checked out "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" graphic novel; the graphic novel as a standlone is good. If you have read the book or have seen the movie, the graphic novel will not be nothing new. When I was looking foward to reading it, I thought I was going to get a different story. However, I was wrong. The book and the movie tell the story better.

Its not impossible to adapt novels into graphic novels. The issue is the fact they do nothing new.