Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    The lettering in the beginning sucked. But that's my only complaint. And in the letters page it said Brian Micheal Bendis was a young unknown writer? Wtf. I think it was a joke but it kinda felt like it wasn't too.
    Yeah, pretty sure that was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by stussyjones View Post
    After reading this I have a feeling in the next big x event beast might die
    Let's hope! But...I don't think that's going to happen. I think Bendis is setting up Beast for something big.

I get the impression his next mutation might be a story in itself.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

On Vacation

double Post.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

It was a good issue, that ended up suffering from us knowing too much about it beforehand. But to a new reader, it will probably be very accessible, since it's pretty straightforward.

Iceman and Beast were pathetic, though. Kitty was better, although she was short-sighted, too worried about her school rather than the entire mutantkind. Storm was the voice of reason.

Not until Hickman finishes using him in Illuminati.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

am i the only person that loved Nyx? i know that taking dusty obscure characters and shoving them in a story about new mutants doesn't exactly fit, but Eva's intro happened nearly exactly the same in issue 1 of Nyx. why didn't Bendis just take that character? give this one a different power? bah, that's my nerd gripe, so i'll have to let it slide.

Bendis hates catBeast, so i'm guessing we'll get an instory explanation for his appearance changing yet again. at least they're mentioning secondary mutations again, even if it's only when it suits them as has been statquo since Morrison left.
    Prophet, Atomic Robo, Morning Glories, Whispers, Fatale, Saga, Revival, X-O Manowar, Dial H, Mouse Guard, Nowhere Men, Manhattan Projects, Think Tank

Stellar issue. Each of the four scenes we got (Eva's power manifestation, Cyke+E Team talking her down, JGS co interspersed throughout and ending with the O5) were

I dug Bendis' dialogue, honestly; I definitely notice Bendisspeak and know how distracting it can be at times, but I try to evaluate it on a case by case basis and personally thought the one stutter instance we got legitimately fit the scene to show some of the vulnerability Scott's feeling post-AVX. Although the rest of the Extinction Team didn't get too many lines, I can read Emma's to Eva in the same condescending "mental accent" I applied to both Gillen and Whedon's run and Magneto sounds like a tacitly amused old war dog (right out of Gillen's playbook) talking to Eva about her powers preventing the police from attacking her, so I'm happy.

I feel like the people complaining about not having all the answers here (how E-Team are finding mutants, what Scott's angle is with the camera speech,) are being insatiable; if he spent the whole issue giving you all that, you'd be complaining that he's decompressing the story. Honestly, I'm REALLY happy we're getting a story moving this quickly. Can't wait for two weeks from now!
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    He's been moving closer to his methods moreso than his ideology. As I've interpreted it, he's started to favors mutants because everyone else favors humans, so more out of necessity than an actual belief in it.

So I agree with you, but I think its poor dialogue to make him actually sound like Magneto to the point where he's tossing around the same slogans.
    Fair enough although I think on some level Cyke does see mutants as an elite species. He simply does not think being an elite species necessitates eliminating the average species ergo I can feel like I am better than you while still acknowledging your right to exist and because I am better, I will also protect you.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    It’s clear Bendis is writing this book with the intention of breaking down two points of view that will go to equal extremes to make things right. This is something that should be commended considering most comics are intended to be enjoyable snacks and nothing more.

I loved the PostScript that this is “most drastically insane X-Men story..ever.” Bit much no? I'm not sure it's that drastic, at least not yet. I reviewed the issue with pictures here if anyone cares to peruse my thoughts on Beast ideology versus Cyclops ideology.
    I just read your review, I definitely agree with your take on Bendis approach I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Fair enough although I think on some level Cyke does see mutants as an elite species. He simply does not think being an elite species necessitates eliminating the average species ergo I can feel like I am better than you while still acknowledging your right to exist and because I am better, I will also protect you.
    I hope not, because that's one of the main things that makes Cyke different from magneto.

Mags is a bad guy deep down because he has no moral high ground against those who see mutants as a second class species due to the fact that he sees humans the same way. If cyke adopts those beliefs he's that much closer to becoming Mags 2.0, which imo misses the point of Cyke's recent characterization, that he's something different than just Xavier or Magneto.

EDIT: But please keep in mind this is all gut reaction from issue 1. I can give bendis the benefit of the doubt for 2 weeks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    His name is Christopher.
    Oh, you're right.

Such an uninteresting name, I passed it right up.

What is he, Jesus? Ugh.

Best. Name. Ever.
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

This was really good.

It was spoiled by too many previews though.

It's a solid start to the book and I can't wait to see what comes next.

P.S I don't know if its Beast's mutation getting to him but he was really weird. Bobby was a complete tool.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I just read your review, I definitely agree with your take on Bendis approach I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way.
    Thanks for reading! I hope Beast sticks around long enough for his side of things to pan out along with Cyclops' side. At this point the Beast mutation might be the only thing driving the story for me. Everything else you can sort of expect (until Cyke meets Cyke that is) and it'll be interesting what the mutation is and what Bendis has in store for him.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

BANNED

i hope kitty gets slapped in the mouth before this story is over. some x-man! rescuing new mutants is supposed to be your job, lady!

BANNED

Maybe Beast found out Brand is Scott's #1 fan and this is his reaction?