Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyblade View Post
    Given that he just brought mutantkind back from extinction I think it would be kinda difficult for Scott to think he failed.
    moto. I really, really want to know how the hell teenScott is going to be able to look at things Scott lead the X-men through and judge him wanting. Messiah Complex - Curse of the Mutants alone is a testimony to the mans greatness.
    Black characters always get looter powers.
    ~darknessatnoon

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    More relevantly, why aren't the Uncanny Avengers rescuing the new mutants being arrested?
    ROTFLMAO. that would be biting the hand that feeds them.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

My thanks as well. I want to go back and read what the O5 were like myself.

If what you say has happened, then when the young O5 return to the future to find the E-Team, they will see their deadly enemy Magneto and freak out straight away, won't they? Why would Scott be in company of the evil Magneto, and this would be kid Scott's first question? But that really isn't as significant as kid Scott thinks, because Magneto isn't who he was where they came from. O5 will come into a garden where all the rules they thought were normal, are now changed. Magneto and Toad are now the good guys, and Wanda and Quicksilver are now Avengers. When the O5 see this, they will lose their lunch.
    True.

Well, Wanda and Quicksilver being good guys won't surprise them so much, since they always knew those two were reluctant villains. But Magneto...hell, at this point they didn't even know that Eric and Charles were old friends, or that Eric was a Holocaust survivor!

And as someone else has posted, at this point, the O5 haven't yet encountered any serious anti-mutant prejudice (barring the Mob Bobby and Hank have just faced). Hell, so far, they've been viewed as heroes by the public and even by the military (well, at least the guys at the Cape Canaveral base from X-men # 1). Literally the ONLY major threat they've faced is Magneto.

You know, this whole thing might have made a whole lot more sense if they picked the O5 from a later point...maybe a point after they'd encountered Sentinels at the very least, so that they HAD experienced both mutant AND human extremism!

Hi.

My name is Bill, and I'm a lapsed Marvel reader.

Though I've recently gotten back into the Ultimate universe it's been six years since the last time I read a 616 book. Today though I came back into the fold with All New X-Men, seeing as how the last X-Men book I enjoyed was X-Men First Class by Jeff Parker so I figured a brand new book with the classic X-Men team traveling to the present sounded like the Marvel Now title for me.

Though I never read it, I have a cursory knowledge of the events of Avengers V. X-Men and that seemed to be all I really needed. The book was wonderfully new reader friendly and I'm excited to explore the Marvel universe through the eyes of the X-team I remembered of yore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyblade View Post
    Given that he just brought mutantkind back from extinction I think it would be kinda difficult for Scott to think he failed.
    Given that Beast tells them Scott had Jeans Phoenix, and took away all the weapons of the world, and then was defeated by the Avengers, don't you think that would sound like Magneto to kid Scott?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    ROTFLMAO. that would be biting the hand that feeds them.
    Putting all your anti Avenger rant aside, Captain America is paying lip service to his own preaching, because Steve Rogers has the opportunity to do something of value instead of token value. What should Rogers feel when the E-Team does his job for him?

I just read it. It was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    True.

Well, Wanda and Quicksilver being good guys won't surprise them so much, since they always knew those two were reluctant villains. But Magneto...hell, at this point they didn't even know that Eric and Charles were old friends, or that Eric was a Holocaust survivor!

And as someone else has posted, at this point, the O5 haven't yet encountered any serious anti-mutant prejudice (barring the Mob Bobby and Hank have just faced). Hell, so far, they've been viewed as heroes by the public and even by the military (well, at least the guys at the Cape Canaveral base from X-men # 1). Literally the ONLY major threat they've faced is Magneto.

You know, this whole thing might have made a whole lot more sense if they picked the O5 from a later point...maybe a point after they'd encountered Sentinels at the very least, so that they HAD experienced both mutant AND human extremism!
    I'm sure Bendis did this deliberately to have the innocent little X-Men to view what became of their dream? You think about it. Beast knew who he was going to see, and he knew how impressionable they would be as well. The X8 kids don't know that the future will be just as Magneto predicted, and not as Prof X anticipated. Here they were, given autonomy for the first time while the Professor is on a secret mission, and the very next thing that happens is a future version of the Beast returns with ominous news that something has happened that they have to do something about. (It's the opposite of the Heroic Age Avengers mission, where the oldies had to fix the kids). It's one of them, Cyclops, who has run off the rails. They would be immensely protective of Scot, so to learn that he was the cause of mutant genocide would be awful.

It has to be noted that through no fault of their own, the X8 were attacked by Sentinels 5 issues later, which would be the revelation that mutants would be under so much suspicion, that they would be attacked by forces they didn't intimidate. So, to the X8, mutant hate was still in it's infancy, and the thought of a mutant genocide would be as unthinkable in America as being defeated in the Cold War. President Kennedy had just been shot that year in 1963, and nobody knew if the Russians were responsible, so the whole country would have been on edge, and looking for spies in the political sphere. Any hint of a 5th column of any sort, communist or mutant, would be targeted and rooted out. This is the climate under which the X-Men were formed. The X8 would have no idea the Cold War was won, or that 911 was a political issue still raw on the nerve of America. So much had happened in the intervening years from 1964 when the X8 were summoned, that America was more like a police state than the home of the free.

Knowing all this, the X8 were chosen as a form of uncontaminated stream, where Scot Summers was not affected by the politics of the grey area associated with Magnetos philosophy. Scot would have been still pro America, and mutants were just as American as apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yes, and they never faced Sentinels or any serious mutant haters just yet. So, Hank is thinking that a Scott that never really faced serious anti-mutant prejudice will convince a Scott that has seen 50 kids being blown up to pieces, the government putting them in concentration camps for "their own protection", and giant robots killing machines being built by their own government to kill them that he is wrong.
    thats all thats happened when it was just mutant villians

again, now imagine the reaction of the world when the so called "leader of mutants" turns sides and starts being the villian....thats what the big deal is here

it isnt just that hes basicaly going villian, its that he led mutants under the flag of a hero and is now doing it

and regardless of how he is doing it, people will percieve what he is doing, and see it as villiany the likes of what magneto did before, and as i said, we all know how that ended up

I'm sure Bendis did this deliberately to have the innocent little X-Men to view what became of their dream? You think about it. Beast knew who he was going to see, and he knew how impressionable they would be as well. The X8 kids don't know that the future will be just as Magneto predicted, and not as Prof X anticipated. Here they were, given autonomy for the first time while the Professor is on a secret mission, and the very next thing that happens is a future version of the Beast returns with ominous news that something has happened that they have to do something about. (It's the opposite of the Heroic Age Avengers mission, where the oldies had to fix the kids). It's one of them, Cyclops, who has run off the rails. They would be immensely protective of Scot, so to learn that he was the cause of mutant genocide would be awful.

It has to be noted that through no fault of their own, the X8 were attacked by Sentinels 5 issues later, which would be the revelation that mutants would be under so much suspicion, that they would be attacked by forces they didn't intimidate. So, to the X8, mutant hate was still in it's infancy, and the thought of a mutant genocide would be as unthinkable in America as being defeated in the Cold War. President Kennedy had just been shot that year in 1963, and nobody knew if the Russians were responsible, so the whole country would have been on edge, and looking for spies in the political sphere. Any hint of a 5th column of any sort, communist or mutant, would be targeted and rooted out. This is the climate under which the X-Men were formed. The X8 would have no idea the Cold War was won, or that 911 was a political issue still raw on the nerve of America. So much had happened in the intervening years from 1964 when the X8 were summoned, that America was more like a police state than the home of the free.

Knowing all this, the X8 were chosen as a form of uncontaminated stream, where Scot Summers was not affected by the politics of the grey area associated with Magnetos philosophy. Scot would have been still pro America, and mutants were just as American as apple pie.
    Actually, thanks to the sliding timescale the X-Men were formed in roughly 1996. I guess Professor X having the hots for Jean is slightly less creepy under the Clinton Administration...

I reread the first issue and one thing really stuck out to me...what the 05 beast says to Cyclops after being attacked by the anti-mutant mob.....that he was going to use his mutant powers to help just one person...himself....maybe I am giving Bendis too much credit and I am reading too much into a comic... but maybe Beast isn't just doing this to confront Cyclops with his idealistic self....maybe he is bringing this version back because this was Hank at his most "selfish".... 05 Hank...being disillusioned...will naturally work with the present day Beast with no questions asked. 05 Beast using his intelligence to try to cure Hank of his deteriorating condition.
    On another note....when did Kitty get so whiny? Could her mouth be any wider as she complains about what Scott and friends are doing?
    And Emma..."Scariest of scary times?" I know the prison system is bad but does it take away cognitive function in such a short time? I only hope that when we see how Emma was able to escape her prison that she was somehow injured in her cerebellum...which would explain it.
    I wish I had something pithy to write about Scott's " children of the atom" speech but what is there to really write...Its as bad as when the Prof would say...or think....."To me my X-Men".
    All in all I guess I would give this issue a 5/10. Didn't blow my mind but I will continue just to see if it will get better.

Personally I loved it the one time Cyclops said it during Whedons run, twas most epic.
    "I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but shouldn't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem deal with itself?"
    -Unknown

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Ya it was

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thevedis View Post
    thats all thats happened when it was just mutant villians

again, now imagine the reaction of the world when the so called "leader of mutants" turns sides and starts being the villian....thats what the big deal is here

it isnt just that hes basicaly going villian, its that he led mutants under the flag of a hero and is now doing it

and regardless of how he is doing it, people will percieve what he is doing, and see it as villiany the likes of what magneto did before, and as i said, we all know how that ended up
    Why do you hold so much weight in what bigots think? The vast majority of people who hate and fear mutants are useless. And those who would attack them, are the same ones who would attack them before. If they attack the X-men again(like the bigots always do), then squash them. Or perhaps take care of them before they get a chance liek Scott's X-force was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarsco View Post
    Actually, thanks to the sliding timescale the X-Men were formed in roughly 1996. I guess Professor X having the hots for Jean is slightly less creepy under the Clinton Administration...
    In that case Kennedy was shot in 1996. And all the history of 1963 to 1996 happened in 12 months and the Cold war was over by 1997. Everything still happened as in the 1964 Xbooks, just moved up.