Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Default All New X-Men Synopsis/Highlights #1 Spoilers

My review (First Time)

Now most of us seen previews and have been briefly spoiled by other reviews floating around the web.... So for the most part I'm just going to make this more of a highlights.

-Beginning we are taken to JSG and Beast is apparently dying from yet another mutation. Storm calls him via communicator and wants him to check something out... (most likely Cyke)

-Issue jumps to Austria where we see are first new mutant of the Book, Eva. Her mutant ability revolves around Freezing Time/Space Time Continuum, apparently her hair changes color because of this (well according to Stuart Immoumen illistarations it does) and Cyke and his crew comes in.. and his dialogue is very bad.

-Cykes pretty much offers to teach how use/control powers and protect them

-Apparently Emma brings up the state of mutants post AvX which revolves around them getting arrested, just for being mutants or even discovered (wonder why?) pretty gives you the setup for UXM and scotts "Mutant Revolution"

-Cyke apparently now feels he has a lot to atone for and wants to recruit mutants who are willing to aid him (Bendis said cykes team will be a Hero Team and it's not Dark X-Men)

-After the dialogue with Cyke , Eva's powers seem to wear off, Cyke team seems nowhere around (Emma's TP illusion most likely) and like Emma/Cyke stated the Police come to arrest Eva, Cyke, Emma, and Magneto jump into action

-Back at JGS we see the image on the TV, What storm called Hank about.

-Bobby is whining, he understands Emma and Magnus for doing what they do but is upset over Scott.. Kitty on the other hand isn't surprised in the least

-Bobby continues to whine, refers to the past about the X-men used to fear (mutant apocalyptic nightmare) and states how things are much worse

-We are now jumped to Michigan where we are introduced to the "Black Kid" mutant and is being interrogated... I'll give you one guess as to why.. BTW his name is "Christopher"

-Christopher mutant ability is "healing"

-Christopher get's arrested for "healing" a girl who fell pretty much if not died and was healed by his touch

-Interrogation continues and once again just like austria, Cyke jumps in starts tearing up the joint (starting to see a pattern, I also think scott is strategically choosing)

-Cyke makes a brief speech to a vid Camera, and states how mutants are X-men and we see the fable crossed arm X symbol

-Back at JGS hanger, Bobby, Hank, Kitty, and Storm argue amongst themselves on how to handle Scott and his "Mutant Revolution"

-Bobby pretty much wants to take him down STorm on the other hand doesn't fearing it'll become a mutant civil war (I think your kind of late there on that notion)

-Kitty brings up the notion that perhaps Scott wants to be taken out....

-Kitty also mentions how they don't understand how Scott and his team are finding mutants without cerbro (perhaps one of the "altered abilities"/enhancements/boosts that were given to the P5, Yana, Emma, Scott)

-Bobby brings up how younger Scott would hate to see himself now thus setting up the O5 entrance or rather the idea in Henry's mind to bring them from the past to present.

-Henry walks off and we are taken back to the past, with the O5 (not going to get too much in depth here since most of us has seen and read this part)

- Kitty makes a good point on what the effect of what Scott's actions are doing but is overlooking the fact of what happened in AvX how the public views them and doesn't know the fact mutants are getting arrested for being mutants

Over all the issue is straight forward, you see the setups pretty early on not much is surprising only just the new mutants and abilities. Immonen art is pretty good and compliments the issue just fine.. however Bendis dialogue is a bit rocky

I definitely enjoyed it and i'm looking forward to issue#2 and UXM

Edit: I definitely feel UXM and ANXM will be two X-Books to both buy to be in the loop of things of what's going on and are going to compliment each other in their own ways like Avengers and New Avengers
    Last edited by Hariel0079; 11-14-2012 at 06:28 AM.

So Scott's bit about brothers and sisters of the atom and mutants being an "elite species" wasn't anything more than it seemed?

As in it wasn't something he strategically said, but is instead just presented as something we're supposed to buy coming out of his mouth? It seemed really random and out of place to me.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

I was surprised how much more I liked this issue than I thought I would. No Wolverine and having the O5 at the end helped.

Seriously though, how can you NOT love Cyclops? He continues to be the leader mutants need. I didn't see the other "X-Men" help out and rescue Eva and Christopher. Mutants are back people, GET ON IT.

Bobby is a total idiot. After reading this issue I just wanted to curb stomp him.

BANNED

The dialogue aside, the e-team stuff was pretty good. Iceman came off unbelievably pathetic. Kitty/Storm were OK but basically used as a foil for the e-teams methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    So Scott's bit about brothers and sisters of the atom and mutants being an "elite species" wasn't anything more than it seemed?

As in it wasn't something he strategically said, but is instead just presented as something we're supposed to buy coming out of his mouth? It seemed really random and out of place to me.
    I strongly suggest you don't get hung up on Bendis' dialogue.

Beast and Iceman were completely awful. Perfect characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    Iceman came off unbelievably pathetic.
    That's an understatement. Maybe the worst of Iceman I've read in a really long time. Every scene he's in, he's like "Scott is crazy!! Right, guys?!? Right??!?!!?"

He's been hanging around Logan too long.

The issue doesn't seem to cover where Scott takes the mutants he rescued or Emma's escape, both I'm sure will be addressed in later issues of ANXM or more than likely in UXM

At the end of the book Nick Lowe praises the letterer for somehow being able to fit all of Bendis' script into the book.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    That's an understatement. Maybe the worst of Iceman I've read in a really long time. Every scene he's in, he's like "Scott is crazy!! Right, guys?!? Right??!?!!?"

I like how his big plan was "Let's get Logan, then go after Scott!!!"

Is Iceman now officially a Wolverine sidekick?

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    The issue doesn't seem to cover where Scott takes the mutants he rescued or Emma's escape, both I'm sure will be addressed in later issues of ANXM or more than likely in UXM
    I hope we get to see Emma's break out. I really want to see her interaction with Scott when they first see each other. Hopefully we'll get that in a flashback or something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post

Every time he spoke i cringed, but in a good way.

Sounds intriguing. The E-team is doing the right thing here, now I do believe the ridiculous "mutant-genocide" is Beast being a drama queen.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I like how his big plan was "Let's get Logan, then go after Scott!!!"
    LOL exactly.

So much for being that bad ass Omega Mutant, huh Bobby? What a pussy.

Because of AvX this setup and the story for both books from bendis feels very straight forward (more like see this coming kind of feeling)

Kitty and storm understand whats going on and see's it but the "handling" is the problem.

The Governments way is making things worse but yet even as noble as Scotts actions are, it does have it's negative effect.. specifically on the school in which Cyke did state he supported.

I'm more believe CYke will give all the mutants he feels are useless to him to logan and those he can use he'll keep.

Bendis writing of scott makes him sound like Magneto.

BANNED

Btw, Eva was in Australia, not Austria.