Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Palmiotti's and Gray's Jonah Hex isn't Vertigo, Preacher and Transmetropolitan are o.o
    Transmetropolitan was actually Helix, but later picked up as Vertigo when the rest of Helix collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I don't care too much, and I didn't create that set of rules, but I hardly think they're 'confusing', and as for arbitrary...well, it's an arbitrary question, yes? Only 3 of your choices would qualify by even the loosest of rules as 'ongoing'. Not exactly rocket science, Sombrero.
    That's a bit harsh - and I count six that could loosely be considered ongoings. Top Ten and All Star Superman were (IIRC) never originally announced as limited - they just happened to stop after 12 issues, and Batman: Year One was a four issue run of an ongoing comic.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That's a bit harsh - and I count six that could loosely be considered ongoings. Top Ten and All Star Superman were (IIRC) never originally announced as limited - they just happened to stop after 12 issues, and Batman: Year One was a four issue run of an ongoing comic.
    All Star Superman was quite early on said to be 12 issues with some potential spin offs after. Id' have to check but I recall Top 10 having "1 of 12" on the first issue.

4 issues does not meet the minimum requirement of 9 issues, which I think is a pretty reasonable metric. To say that 4 issues is a real 'run' is, I think, a stretch.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I don't care too much, and I didn't create that set of rules, but I hardly think they're 'confusing', and as for arbitrary...well, it's an arbitrary question, yes? Only 3 of your choices would qualify by even the loosest of rules as 'ongoing'. Not exactly rocket science, Sombrero.
    The rules state that All-Star Superman would not count, but Top 10 would...they are both twelve issues long. I would rather just create a list of my favorite DC stories than worry about whether they are classified as a "run," which is what I meant by getting confusing and arbitrary.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    The rules state that All-Star Superman would not count, but Top 10 would...they are both twelve issues long. I would rather just create a list of my favorite DC stories than worry about whether they are classified as a "run," which is what I meant by getting confusing and arbitrary.
    I understand, but saying something that is specifically created by an individual is arbitrary is sort of like saying an apple is a fruit.

Top 10 is an ongoing series if mini series; Top Ten product has been coming out for a long while, and another is 'in the works'.

All Star was created to be a finite thing.

Is what you're saying that you don't actually remember enough comics to come up with a 'runs' list and a 'mini/maxi' list? Because that thread exists, and more of your list belongs there than here.

It's not a big deal either way, but since you went out of your way to complain about how 'confusing' the rules were, well turn and turn about.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I understand, but saying something that is specifically created by an individual is arbitrary is sort of like saying an apple is a fruit.

Top 10 is an ongoing series if mini series; Top Ten product has been coming out for a long while, and another is 'in the works'.

All Star was created to be a finite thing.

Is what you're saying that you don't actually remember enough comics to come up with a 'runs' list and a 'mini/maxi' list? Because that thread exists, and more of your list belongs there than here.

It's not a big deal either way, but since you went out of your way to complain about how 'confusing' the rules were, well turn and turn about.
    I don't really see comics as runs vs minis/maxis, I think the two can be directly compared and you don't need to separate them. Then add in laziness and my personal dislike of this rules system and you get what I posted.

I don't really feel like arguing about this anymore, I didn't intend this to turn into a debate or whatever. I listed my top 10 DC stories (regardless of how they were published), that's really all I wanted to do. I guess just disregard the rules complaining at this point.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Transmetropolitan was actually Helix, but later picked up as Vertigo when the rest of Helix collapsed.

I know, but only 12/60 were from Helix. Makes more sense to call it a Vertigo book.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 11-19-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    BB

Funky Lantern Corpsman

Grant Morrison's Batman
    Geoff Johns / David S Goyer / James Robinson's JSA (+ Johns' JSoA)
    Warren Ellis' Planetary
    Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
    Ed Brubaker's Point Blank / Sleeper
    Geoff Johns' Flash (Wally West)
    Grant Morrison's JLA
    Warren Ellis' Stormwatch / The Authority

1. John Ostrander's The Spectre (I can't understand why this isn't in trade paperbacks like Sandman and Swamp Thing)
    2. John Ostrander's Suicide Squad (this series was way ahead of its time and other SS series haven't even come close to being as good)
    3. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (enough has already been said of this one)
    4. Marty Pasko/Thomas Yeates' Saga of the Swamp Thing (the most underrated, yet beautifully-drawn Swamp Thing, in my opinion)
    5. Keith Giffen/Robert Loren Fleming/Bob Oskner Ambush Bug (several appearances before his first mini-series, the Son Of mini-series and then Stocking Stuffer and the Nothing Special)
    6. Cary Bates' and Carmine Infantino's The Flash (my all-time favorite Flash stories)
    7. Michael Fleisher's Jonah Hex (I love what is being done with Jonah now and it's great, but Fleisher was the definitive writer for this character)
    8. Marv Wolfman's and George Perez's New Teen Titans
    9. Geoff Johns' Flash
    10. John Byrne's Superman

Jaeger secret-keeper Sandor Clegane's Avatar

If we go DCU-centric, first and foremost is Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. After that is 7 more, in no particular order:

Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison
    Detective - Englehart / Rogers
    Batman - O'Neil / Adams
    JLA - Grant Morrison
    JLA - Englehart / Dillin
    Batman - Moench / Newton
    Starman - James Robinson

Some honorable mentions:

Dennis O'Neil's Question
    Grant/Breyfogle's Detective
    Mark Waid's Flash
    Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
    Mike Grell's Green Arrow
    Cary Bates' Flash
    Len Weins' JLA
    Cary Bates' Captain Atom
    Fox/Infantino Adam Strange
    Broome/Kane Green Lantern

John Ostrander's Suicide Squad
    Mike Grell's Green Arrow
    Ellis/Robertson's Transmetropolitan (vertigo is part of DC heheh)
    Dennis O'Neil's The Question
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
    Robinson/Goyer/John's JSA
    Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle's Batman
    Peter Milligan's Shade the Changing Man
    Matt Wagner/Steven Seagle/Guy Davis' Sandman Mystery Theatre
    Jack Kirby's entire 4th World saga

Honorable Mentions:
    Rucka/Brubaker/Lark's Gotham Central
    Gail Simone's Secret Six
    Grant Morrison's JLA
    Grant Morrison's Animal Man
    Silver Age Superman (don't remember who wrote it but I picked it up in archive editions and it's a blast)
    Last edited by vicvega; 11-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Hard to do, but here are some books I would include:

Denny O'Neil - Batman
    James Robinson - Starman
    Paul Levitz/Keith Giffen - Legion of Superheroes
    Grant Morrison - Batman
    Keith Giffen/J.M. DeMatteis/Kevin Maguire - Justice League (International)
    Roy Thomas - "Earth 2"
    Mike Grell - Green Arrow
    Gail Simone - Secret Six

Those eight are all I can think of off the top of my (aching) head right now. I could add other deserving runs like Gaiman's Sandman, O'Neil's Question and many others... but I choose not to right now. And no, they are not ordered.

Honorable mention to Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson's Manhunter, as well as Howard Chaykin's Ironwolf (neither of which meet the criteria).
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

My favorites, close to the rules as I could get,,, would love to include the Ellis Wildstorm stuff and lots of others from childhood days...
    1. Jim Shooter's Curt Swans Legion of Superheroes,
    2. Superman numbers 300 to 310, I think its mostly Carey Bates and Curt Swan but I think Jose Luis Garcia Lopez gets in there as well as Maggin, Wein, and who knows?
    3. Morrisons JLA (Superman and Batman too but the art changes)
    4. Englehart Rodgers Batman
    5. Alan Moores Swamp Thing
    6. Gaimans Sandman (I thought it was Vertigo)
    7. Kirbys Fourth World
    8. Bob Haney Jim Aparos Brave and Bold Batman
    9. Giffen and Levitz Legion of Super Heroes
    10. Kurt Busieks Superman

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

1. Moore and Co - Swamp Thing
    2. Ellis and Co- Planetary
    3. Milligan and Co - Shade
    4. Wagner/Seagle and Co - Mystery Theatre
    5. Seagle and Co- House of Secrets
    6. Carey and Co - Lucifer
    7. Dysart and Co - Unknown Solider
    8. Milligan and Co - Human Target
    9. Morrison and Co - Doom Patrol
    10. Morrison and Co - Animal Man
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 11-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

DCU
    1. Jack Kirby's Fourth World books, most notably New Gods
    2. Drake/Premiani Doom Patrol
    3. O'Neill/Cowan Question
    4. Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans
    5. George Perez Wonder Woman
    6. Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron
    7. John Ostrander's Suicide Squad
    8. James Robinson's Starman
    9. Goeff John's JSA
    10.Geoff John's Green Lantern

Honourable mentions: Moench/Kelly Jones Batman, O'Neill/Admas Batman and Green Lantern, Mike Grell's Green Arrow, Ostrander's Spectre, Gotham Central, Kirby's Kamandi, Simonson's Orion.

Everything else:
    1. Morrison's Doom Patrol
    2. Gaiman's Sandman
    3. Wagner/Seagle Sandman Mystery Theatre
    4. Moore's Swamp Thing
    5. Ellis' Planetary
    6. Moore's Top 10
    7. Milligan's Shade the Changing Man
    8. Busiek/Anderson Astro City
    9. Ennis' Preacher
    10. MIlligan's Human Target