View Poll Results: Which one is better: Earth 2 or Justice Society

Voters
184. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Earth 2

99 53.80%
  • Pre 52 Justice Society of America

85 46.20%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

BTW - I do love the irony that someone clearly as intelligent, and well-reasoned and nuanced as you are, has Guy Gardiner as his avatar. He's one of my more favourite characters too, though he's almost 100% opposed to everything I hold dear.
    I can't help but love Guy Gardner! Enjoyed his solo series in the 90s, it's one of the few complete series I have in single issues. But as Tony said he was a teacher before.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

I have to say, having read the JSA for years and years - the current one is not that great. The origin of Green Lantern - Mother Earth and a fight that entails mugging up with a duplicate of your boyfriend made up out of crabgrass - is just stupid.

I hope Fate is better.

I'm more original JSA. Mainly I'm more Original Universe but either way, I preferred the older guys. It's rare to see the older generation of heroes get respect and I thought I was a wonderful way to keep the characters relevant. Now I don't out right dislike Earth-2 it's just I don't know lacking something for me. I'll admit it's probably one of the most underrated of the books right now as with six issues it did more than Justice Leagues six issues.

The corner of Marvel UK & Earth 2 Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    DC, please bring back the pre 52 Justice Society of America.
    What he said. The pre 52 Justice Society of America was great and I wish DC would bring it back as the new Earth 2.
    RedWinter
    Courage is being scared to death & still saddling up.
    Moving to the corner of Marvel UK & Earth 2

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

I voted Earth 2 only because it is much better than the last few years of Justice Society tales.
    I loved the Robinson/Johns/Goyer JSA but do believe after Goyer left it was all downhill.
    I actually believe that the 'original' JSA will show up at some point in some form.
    FYI I grew up with the Roy Thomas era All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc. and enjoyed it immensely as well as numerous Pre-Crisis JLA / JSA Crossovers and the Huntress' adventures in the Wonder Woman backup.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Okay, I just deleted a slew of posts here. If one of the offenders is foolish enough to start up the flame war again, then I'll have to go the punitive route instead. Capeche?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

It's funny ... as much as I love Earth-2 and seeing the Golden Age characters reinvented and modernized, I can't help but feel a little guilty. I feel like I'm cheating! "Have you been seeing other comic book characters?" "No ... I mean yes, I mean, not really!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay! View Post
    It's funny ... as much as I love Earth-2 and seeing the Golden Age characters reinvented and modernized, I can't help but feel a little guilty. I feel like I'm cheating! "Have you been seeing other comic book characters?" "No ... I mean yes, I mean, not really!"
    It's alright to like the new guys . . . as long as you still miss the Golden Age originals.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Its a hard question for me I loved Johns JSA thought but I understand it was hard to sell a group of heroes in there 60's and 70's teaching newbies. I think that Earth 2 is a good idea but it has been hard to get into for me, I just feel there is something missing in the whole concept and that could be the tradition of having golden age characters.

So far the only character I have liked in Earth 2 is Hawkgirl I like her Earth 2 design.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's alright to like the new guys . . . as long as you still miss the Golden Age originals.
    I started reading the JSA in reprints, crossovers, and the Roy Thomas revival of the 1970's. I've followed and enjoyed the characters for about 40 years now. What I loved about them from the beginning was that they were from Earth-Two. The very name was magic to my ears: Earth-Two.

Since then, I've liked some interpretations a lot, others not so much.

I think James Robinson's current series is much better than the Guggenheim book that preceded Flashpoint. It's not the JSA I remember, but it is Earth-2, and for me that's a draw in and of itself. I enjoyed previous iterations of the JSA, but that's not to say that I miss them now. I'm sure I would enjoy good stories with them if they were being published; but I'm not going to ignore a series I like because they've changed the characters. The new Alan Scott isn't exactly the guy that's in my avatar, but I still like reading about him.

I like good books more than I worry about purity of interpretation.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Sherwood Forest on Earth2 & Jersey Pine Barren Earth 18

I have to say just read an issue of Earth 2 and was not feeling it! I like Worlds' Finest but this Earth 2 takes all the originality out of the Golden Age that was Earth 2. Power Girl & Huntress were never Supergirl & Robin,they wanted to be crime fighters like their cousin & father but they chose names to be independent from Supes & Bats to be individuals not female counterparts thus making their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I think James Robinson's current series is much better than the Guggenheim book that preceded Flashpoint. It's not the JSA I remember, but it is Earth-2, and for me that's a draw in and of itself. I enjoyed previous iterations of the JSA, but that's not to say that I miss them now. I'm sure I would enjoy good stories with them if they were being published; but I'm not going to ignore a series I like because they've changed the characters. The new Alan Scott isn't exactly the guy that's in my avatar, but I still like reading about him.

I like good books more than I worry about purity of interpretation.
    That's part of the problem . . . how many books weren't better than the mess Guggenheim's JSA became? Hell, maybe JMS' Grounded in Superman would rank worse (at least when JMS was actually "writing" that), but the JSA was so much better before tin-can-Alan.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Earth 2 is proffered
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

Boy, this is such a long thread that I haven't even looked through all of my fellow comic lover's posts. I say this by way of apology, in case I am echoing what thirty other people have already written.

I LOVE the Justice Society of America that was forged in the fires of World War Two (or just prior, I should say). I loved that they grew old and had children. With these two components now stripped from these lovely characters I feel an immeasurable loss as a comics reader. I do not begrudge anyone who is following and enjoying Earth Two. I tried it and just did not find it to my liking. Sorry. I am reminded of a quote from the late, great Jerry Bails, perhaps THE foremost admirer of the JSA (sorry, Roy!) upon reading DC's 1986 Last Days of the Justice Society one shot which, for a time, regulated these heroes to limbo: "They did the wrong damn thing." Words to me that are just as applicable in 2013 as they were back in '86.

Bestest,
    Stingo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Boy, this is such a long thread that I haven't even looked through all of my fellow comic lover's posts. I say this by way of apology, in case I am echoing what thirty other people have already written.

I LOVE the Justice Society of America that was forged in the fires of World War Two (or just prior, I should say). I loved that they grew old and had children. With these two components now stripped from these lovely characters I feel an immeasurable loss as a comics reader. I do not begrudge anyone who is following and enjoying Earth Two. I tried it and just did not find it to my liking. Sorry. I am reminded of a quote from the late, great Jerry Bails, perhaps THE foremost admirer of the JSA (sorry, Roy!) upon reading DC's 1986 Last Days of the Justice Society one shot which, for a time, regulated these heroes to limbo: "They did the wrong damn thing." Words to me that are just as applicable in 2013 as they were back in '86.

Bestest,
    Stingo
    QFT

I got into JSA fandom because of being an Infinity Inc. fan

I thought it was cool having the JSA be mentors not only to their own children and proteges but also to many other younger heroes.

I also liked that the JSA was the inspiration for the JLA.

I rather enjoy the E2 comic for what it is but IMHO having the heroes there being the same age as every other superhero takes away a lot of what made them unique.

I'm not sure if it'll prove to be worth it because I'm not sure how much marketing outside of print and digital comics DC is going to do with the E2 characters because of the struggles just getting out live-action and DCAU movies featuring Bats and Supes so I'm not sure if this drastic change will mean much in the long run
    Alan (to Sam): "I believe you're turning me into a sap, Sir."
    Earth 2 #2