View Poll Results: Which one is better: Earth 2 or Justice Society

Voters
184. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Earth 2

99 53.80%
  • Pre 52 Justice Society of America

85 46.20%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Which is to entirely miss the point. No they're not the exact same characters. They're modern day revamps of those characters, and the book's world and mythos is a revamp of classic concepts. So all this stuff is based off of stuff DC did in the past, and unless one has no concept of the English language, that's in no way shape or form not caring or ignoring your history. Its embracing and drawing upon your history to come up with this stuff in the first place.
    But it isn't using that history, it's trying to supplant it.
    If believing this makes you sleep better at night fine, but you look foolish and petulant when you try to press it on other fans as fact when its a complete falsehood.
    Really? Is the Liberty File continuity the same as the pre-Flashpoint JSA continuity? No. Not even close. Therefore they are not the same characters.

I like the old jsa a lot more, I still feel really nostalgic about Johns' run. But it's still early days for earth 2.

I just wish that doctor fate was on earth prime as well, hopefully one day.
    An unashamed Bloodstone, Captain Britain, Hawkman, Zatanna and Bat-villain fanboy.

Agent of W.A.N.D, Magic-ops division.

DC hasn't forgotten its heritage. Read Earth-2 and you'll see. But "certain people" are too stubborn and lament "poor me, DC hates me" than realize DC has given you the best JSA-related title in decades. It's wonderfully written and illustrated and respected to the past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jay! View Post
    DC hasn't forgotten its heritage. Read Earth-2 and you'll see. But "certain people" are too stubborn and lament "poor me, DC hates me" than realize DC has given you the best JSA-related title in decades. It's wonderfully written and illustrated and respected to the past.
    The best JSA related title in decades? Nope, that would be the 1999 series, or possibly the 1992 series. Not this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    The best JSA related title in decades? Nope, that would be the 1999 series, or possibly the 1992 series. Not this mess.
    How would you know? You haven't read "this mess", all you've done is whine for 2 years.

I love the JSA in all its incarnations. Nothing will surpass the original -- and I mean original. (In fact, I'm reading All-Star Comics #50 right now -- "The Prophecy of Peril.) However, the JSA fell upon hard times with way too old characters with unbelievable longevity, goofy superfiends gimmicks, redundant boring legacy characters, bad writing and art. It was time to retire it and try something new.

I'm sorry you're unhappy.
    Last edited by Jay!; 11-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.

They did that in the 60s. It was called The Justice League.

How would you know? You haven't read "this mess", all you've done is whine for 2 years.
    But, isn't the DCnU barely more than a year old still?

(Sept. 2011 - Nov. 2012)

Maybe it just feels like an eternity?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I've read both and like the current series, but he's still right about this not being the best JSA-related series in decades. That is just a wild and insupportable statement.

BANNED

I'm kind of disappointed Robinson didn't just go with the noir Sandman. In general, I think I would have liked to see a more pulpy-toned Earth, like Alan Moore's ABC line.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, isn't the DCnU barely more than a year old still?

(Sept. 2011 - Nov. 2012)

Maybe it just feels like an eternity?
    September was when the first books rolled out. He was complaining long before that.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I've read both and like the current series, but he's still right about this not being the best JSA-related series in decades. That is just a wild and insupportable statement.
    Isn't Tony's? But one has to agree that this title is critically well received and financially. This is 2012, and the 90s over a decade past.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed Robinson didn't just go with the noir Sandman. In general, I think I would have liked to see a more pulpy-toned Earth, like Alan Moore's ABC line.
    Careful, Holmes, we agree on this. Not only did I prefer the noirish (also a bookish and mousier Wes Dodds) Sandman, but he also had strong female support in Dian Belmont. Turning Dodds into another confident special forces guy does little except blending him in with the plethora of other baseline human heroes. Oh, wait, he's Canadian. I guess some people call that diversity.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Isn't Tony's? But one has to agree that this title is critically well received and financially. This is 2012, and the 90s over a decade past.
    Don't get me wrong, Tony's posts are chock-FULL of insupportable statements on this subject. But that's not the point I'm making. You said "in decades," meaning, multiple decades. The Robinson/Goyer/Johns series began less than 2 decades ago (13 years and a few months). I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but I do not believe the current series has been better-received, either critically or financially, than the Robinson/Goyer/Johns series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Careful, Holmes, we agree on this. Not only did I prefer the noirish (also a bookish and mousier Wes Dodds) Sandman, but he also had strong female support in Dian Belmont. Turning Dodds into another confident special forces guy does little except blending him in with the plethora of other baseline human heroes. Oh, wait, he's Canadian. I guess some people call that diversity.
    I mean I'm overall okay with rebooting/modernizing the JSA. But they could do more to make the book stylistically unique as opposed to being another bombastic, superhero book. It would have been fine on Justice League, better than what Johns has ended up doing.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I mean I'm overall okay with rebooting/modernizing the JSA. But they could do more to make the book stylistically unique as opposed to being another bombastic, superhero book. It would have been fine on Justice League, better than what Johns has ended up doing.
    With the exception of the overall feelings about the JSA reboot, I agree with you there 100%. While I think earth 2 is a good book, there is far less of an individual, "can't get this stuff anywhere else" feel to the book.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP