View Poll Results: Which one is better: Earth 2 or Justice Society

Voters
184. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Earth 2

99 53.80%
  • Pre 52 Justice Society of America

85 46.20%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I definitely prefer Earth 2 to the JSA. The JSA characters were boring and irrelevant and the new Earth 2 book is fun. Dialogue could be better and the villains are terrible so far but the main characters themselves (which I think is what we're talking about), I really like a lot. I am definitely happy with what DC did, and for the people who are not, you have hundreds (probably thousands) of JSA comic books out there, that new JSA miniseries coming out, etc. DC is not supposed to satisfy and cater to your interests for your entire lifetime.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
    The old JSA was just too full of old people, appealing to no one but a small but vocal fanbase of old readers that would not be feasible in the long run.

DC finally realized that in order to appeal to NEW readers, you need a NEW JSA, and the old JSA who were tied to an ancient war like World War II just wouldn't cut it. Earth 2 is a MUCH better title than the old JSA, with its cast of ethnically and sexually diverse, not to mention mature heroes, a new, modern and infinitely better origin that is much more appealing to newer readers and younger readers, great writing and fantastic art. To the old JSA, I say good riddance. Those who prefer the old JSA still have their collections of back issues that they can read if they want an older JSA.
    Either you are terrible at math, or you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

There were four old people in the pre-Flashpoint JSA, out of a team of about 30 heroes. Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Ted Grant, and reserve member Rex Tyler. There were twice as many teenagers on the team at that time. Pre-Flashpoint JSA was the most diverse team in the history of comic books, a real society of heroes, including diversity of race, religion, gender, age, and sexual orientation.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I definitely prefer Earth 2 to the JSA. The JSA characters were boring and irrelevant
    To who, exactly? Not to the many, many people who loved those characters, I assure you.
    and the new Earth 2 book is fun. Dialogue could be better and the villains are terrible so far but the main characters themselves (which I think is what we're talking about), I really like a lot. I am definitely happy with what DC did, and for the people who are not, you have hundreds (probably thousands) of JSA comic books out there, that new JSA miniseries coming out,
    Which is an Elseworlds title, not a story of the real JSA.
    etc. DC is not supposed to satisfy and cater to your interests for your entire lifetime.
    Says who?

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Tell that to Marvel. Because Captain America and Bucky, the Sub-Mariner and numerous other WWII era characters seem to be proving pretty "sustainable" over there...
    Cap & Bucky: when they are thawed/revived/whatever is fluid. That's why the movie worked so well.

Namor isn't human, so who cares?

(Seriously, people care about Namor?)
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Says who?
    Says why superhero comics were made in the first place: Disposable escapist power fantasies for children.

Says the fact that you don't own DC Comics.

Says Capitalism.
    Last edited by Jeff Brady; 11-16-2012 at 07:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Says why superhero comics were made in the first place: Disposable escapist power fantasies for children.

Says the fact that you don't own DC Comics.

Says Capitalism.
    Say, how old are you?

To who, exactly? Not to the many, many people who loved those characters, I assure you.
    To me, and our opinions on the matter are equally valid as we are both DC Comics consumers. You can see in this thread there are enough people that agree with both of us.

Which is an Elseworlds title, not a story of the real JSA.
    There is no REAL JSA. It's a FICTIONAL COMIC BOOK. This is like saying the "real" Batman was a killer, or taking any of the original interpretations of characters and saying they have to be that way. Characters in fictional properties change over time.

Says who?
    This is such a massively delusional comment that I think it says everything about your argument. I am sure every fan has a few things here or there that they dislike about how DC does their comic line. Some people want Stephanie Brown as their Batgirl, some want the original JSA, some want this or that, no one is going to be 100% satisfied. If you don't like what they're doing, spend your time and money elsewhere, but to expect that the company is supposed to cater exactly to your whims is just what I said, delusional.

I have no problem if people dislike the current direction of DC, but the fan entitlement of some people is just ridiculous. You want your own JSA exactly the way you want them, then write and draw your own JSA stories, because that's the only way you'll ever get exactly what you want.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Earth 2 as it's is all i know.

If it was a JSA book it wouldn't be on my pull list, as book full of OAPs not attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman View Post
    Earth 2 as it's is all i know.

If it was a JSA book it wouldn't be on my pull list, as book full of OAPs not attractive to me.
    That's fair. I personally find ignorance to be unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe1809 View Post
    Say, how old are you?
    Old enough to know better than to obsessively internalize corporately owned fictional characters.

Old enough to know my history.

El Sombrero, it's interesting that you are flaming Tony for making uninformed attacks on Earth 2, but you have nothing to say against posters like Weedman and Marvolo for making uninformed attacks on JSA. Hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    El Sombrero, it's interesting that you are flaming Tony for making uninformed attacks on Earth 2, but you have nothing to say against posters like Weedman and Marvolo for making uninformed attacks on JSA. Hypocrisy?
    It's not his job to police the thread.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Guys, let's keep it friendly in this thread, okay?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    It DID end 74 years ago.
    Totally pedantic point here: WWII ended 67 years ago, not 74.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    It DID end 74 years ago. Having people who were adults then continue to operate at and beyond the pinnacle of human capability in the present had become increasingly ridiculous. From a purely logistical standpoint, the WWII connection wasn't working. This isn't a problem unique to the JSA, but it is still a problem.

The niche of elder heroes is an interesting one, but it isn't really one that the JSA could maintain forever. Either a fictional war would take its place or they would be rebooted. I think taking the opportunity to do both was the right move in regards to keeping the characters viable into the future. The path they were on was simply unsustainable.

And as to the validity of opinions... ones not formed by experience of the subject aren't really worth consideration. There's simply no real basis for them besides emotion, which just isn't helpful to those reading it. And if you're boycotting the book, then why even talk about it? It seems like you're keeping your wound open on purpose for some reason.
    As somebody else has pointed out, it didn't end 74 years ago; 74 years ago was 1938, when the war (pre-U.S. involvement) was beginning.

As for the old timers, I agree 100% that it would be ridiculous to have those WWII heroes still alive and active now without some "good" explanation (like maybe they were in limbo for a while and returned recently without having aged quite so much, or the Captain America popsickle explanation). However, you could also have the Earth 2 heroes you have currently, but they could be legacy characters. The traditional JSA could still be part of their past, and maybe revisisted from time to time in flashbacks or special issues.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.