Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Depends on the writer, really.

Well, like Gordon said in The Dark Knight Rises, "I know exactly who he is; he's the Batman".

Like everyone else has said, really depends on the writer. I mean, one can draw the inference that Gordon knew from the end of Year One, despite the no glasses thing. But then we have No Man's Land which is in conflict with the theory several times. There's a quite nice, brief moment in Hush where Bruce muses that Perry White is too good a journalist not to figure out that Clark Kent is Superman and then remembers how good a detective Gordon is. I always like to believe that Gordon is about 90% sure that Bruce is Batman but just doesn't bother investigating to make certain.

On a side note, that panel from The Black Mirror posted above really is great. The dialogue, Gordon subtly looking over his glasses at Dick. Great stuff.
    Last edited by clownprince01; 11-15-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    On a side note, that panel from The Black Mirror posted above really is great. The dialogue, Gordon subtly looking over his glasses at Dick. Great stuff.
    It is, but there were a ton of times while Dick was Batman that Gordon speaks like he has no idea who is in the suit now, beyond knowing it's not the original guy. Again, not all the writers on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    I mean, one can draw the inference that Gordon knew from the end of Year One, despite the no glasses thing. But then we have No Man's Land which is in conflict with the theory several times.
    I don't think there's any contradiction between the two.

Bruce taking off his mask in NML was supposed to be an act of vulnerability. It was the act itself which had meaning, not the knowledge it would've imparted to Gordon - the fact that he was actively revealing his identity, even though he knows there's already a damn good chance that Gordon knows the truth.

I think it's best if Gordon finds out who he is.

I believe that there are a lot of good stories that could be told with a Gordon who knows Bruce is Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    It is, but there were a ton of times while Dick was Batman that Gordon speaks like he has no idea who is in the suit now, beyond knowing it's not the original guy. Again, not all the writers on the same page.
    Weren't most of these times when Gordon was speaking to other cops, so he would not want to reveal that he has any idea who's in the suit? It's been a while, but I totally got the impression that Gordon knows when he thanks Dick at the end of Black Mirror. In fact, I think it's damn near indisputable. Plus, his son had said, they all know the truth, it's just that his father doesn't want to know, or acts as if he doesn't. He puts blinders on himself, because it's easier and safer for him to not know.

In B&R when Dick was Batman, Gordon acknowledged it was a different guy, who was more respectful of him and called him by title, and... an issue or two later, makes a point of clarifying that Dick used to be a cop, to some other people. He's not a dumb man, James Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Eh, I think that had more to do with not wanting the other cops to know that he was in on the secret so to speak than it was writers making it seem like he actually had zero idea who it was. And really, come to think of it I really can't think of a single writer in the last twenty years who hasn't hinted that Gordon knew who was under the cowl at least once. It's become more blatant under writers like Morrison, Dini and Snyder but just about everybody before them wrote Gordon as most likely knowing for as long as I remember so I don't see any real inconsistencies.

Gorden knows, but he does not care, and refuses to acknowledge it.
    It's easy to bond over hating something together. The internet is total proof of that. ---- Codex