Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    It sounds like it's more, 'Damn, get out of my office, I am trying to work here' but it is just articulated so, so poorly.
    Fuck it, can't say I give a shit one way or the other. I don't care about cosplayers, same way I don't care about Twilight fans. They don't bother me, because I avoid them.
    Which seems a lot healthier, and less confrontational, if you ask me.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

It sounds like it's more, 'Damn, get out of my office, I am trying to work here' but it is just articulated so, so poorly.
    Fuck it, can't say I give a shit one way or the other. I don't care about cosplayers, same way I don't care about Twilight fans. They don't bother me, because I avoid them.
    same here...I never understood cosplay and it never interested me
    Support your local roller derby league

I don't understand the need for some to drag the con experience back to the ...

Wait there have been folks dressing up at Cons since forever. It just that before most of them were dressed as Starfleet guys or Klingons.

So Cosplay isn't even new(the NAME is, though)

Cosplay isn't my thing but if some folks find it fun, good for them.

Booth Babes? A paying gig is a paying gig, good for them.

If there is a segment of the general public that finds some value in Cons beyone the hard core geeks, that is great.

Why anybody would WANT Cons to go back to the bad old days of just being hard core fans, stressed out dealers, merch and whatever poor sucker from the original Trek series that needed a check that week is way beyond me.

I think some dealers are seeing their table prices go up, and their return shrink at the cons.
    The implication being a lot of the cosplayers aren't there to buy, just walk around or whatever.
    I dunno, just some musings I have seen around the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Why anybody would WANT Cons to go back to the bad old days of just being hard core fans, stressed out dealers, merch and whatever poor sucker from the original Trek series that needed a check that week is way beyond me.
    maybe a little....the last day of convention is a hagglers dream...they will pay you to cart away their dreams on Sunday

I think some dealers are seeing their table prices go up, and their return shrink at the cons.
    The implication being a lot of the cosplayers aren't there to buy, just walk around or whatever.
    I dunno, just some musings I have seen around the net.
    I would agree with that as well, you have more people going to cons but less people buying stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I would agree with that as well, you have more people going to cons but less people buying stuff
    That was happening when I went to Cons.

Times have changed. Few are going to give the dealer 75 bucks (or whatever guide price is) for a NM Avengers #60 now.

That is food money. Personally, if I paid a $100 dollars for the Super Power Cyborg figure in the pack, I'd be forced to kick my own ass.

That is more on the economy than the Cosplayers.

And if somebody pays $60+ just to get into a Con how much money are they gonna spend after that?

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Not just con prices but gas, food, and a place to eat.

And why buy at cons when there is Amazon, ebay and other online stistoreses
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Not just con prices but gas, food, and a place to eat.

And why buy at cons when there is Amazon, ebay and other online stistoreses
    Im not a big collector but all the big cons have exclusive figures now, you can find them on EBay or amazon later but they are mad expensive

but I typically save my money for books and food...I will never fathom paying $75 for a limited edition Ambush Bug variant

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    As a very, very part-time dealer these days I have to agree. The people coming to marts, expos and cons now are dominated by your cosplay/anime/role playing types and they spend fuck all as a whole.

Oddly enough, this has reminded me to have a chat with the new organisers of the Bristol Expo on this very subject.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    As a very, very part-time dealer these days I have to agree. The people coming to marts, expos and cons now are dominated by your cosplay/anime/role playing types and they spend fuck all as a whole.

Oddly enough, this has reminded me to have a chat with the new organisers of the Bristol Expo on this very subject.
    Some of the blame for that has to fall on the dealers though.

I've been to enough cons and marts in my time and I remember dealers and their tables, and half of them have still got the same stock they've had for the last five years, still at the same prices.

Every time it's like Deja fucking Vu. Oh look, there's that Green Lantern comic priced at 3 that no one wants to buy, in the same place it's been for the last decade, ever since it came out.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    I've been to enough cons and marts in my time and I remember dealers and their tables, and half of them have still got the same stock they've had for the last five years, still at the same prices.
    And still not alphabetized. I don't care if you've got the complete run of Miracleman for a nickel; if I can't find it, I'm not going to buy it.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    A part of me things that it stems from an honest place. I really do. I was on Twitter earlier today and notice that there was a lot of conversation about Cosplay. I admire him for coming right out and saying something like that. Especially when some of those people he is speaking ill of may be fans of his work.

He's a really great artist and, like anyone, is entitled to his opinion.

For the record, I love seeing people in cosplay. Not just sexy girls, but guys, too. Some of them put so much work into their costumes, you know that the dedication comes from a real place. The local convention I go to, sometimes it's just jam packed with cosplayers and to be honest, not all of them are there as comic book fans. I actually think majority of them are there as anime fans. Once again, their dedication comes from a real place.

Also, there are a few people that you see at convention that are strictly there for the attention, not because they are fans of something. I think he's not wrong about that. Not only that, I don't think he's wrong when he says that some of them are doing it strictly for the attention and they would not give anyone the time of the day. Especially the really geeky ones.
    Same here.

I haven't been to cons in a long time, so I only remember serious cosplayers (I was one once, and if things ever rectify themselves, I will be again.) I am not angry at his rants as I understand where he is coming from.

I am in awe of the current gen of cosplayers though, many produce really wonderful reproductions (this gal wishes I had that talent.)

As far as pretty girls looking for attention at cons, yeah that seems pretty new, but I don't care, because that'll mean when I do get to a con I may have more time to speak with a favorite creator as a result of all the media frenzy.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    Some of the blame for that has to fall on the dealers though.

Every time it's like Deja fucking Vu. Oh look, there's that Green Lantern comic priced at 3 that no one wants to buy, in the same place it's been for the last decade, ever since it came out.

That's only true in a few cases though. Generally dealers want to make money and try to price accordingly unless you're a fucking looney and are selling slabbed comics to other fucking looneys.

However I do remember going up to do a GLASCAC from here in Bristol with boxes of our dirt cheap sexy comics, and have a Glasgow dealer come up to me crying that we were wiping out his profit because we were selling comics cheap. My reply was to sit there sniggering at him while other Glasgow dealers were laughing behind his back for being a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    and here's his second part:
    When your dectractors include those infamously rabid haters Colleen Doran, Bendis, Paul Cornell, Kieron Gillan, and Kurt Busiek - and Busiek posted three times and slagged you off as a "shitheel", which he never does ever - it's probably time to beckpeddle and accept you've been sexist. Cos you were. Like, extremely. The whole basis is a sexist assumption of what total strangers are up to, based on... well, seeing them from across a table apparently.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind