Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

pathetic. truly pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    What attention, exactly are they after? And what cosplayer doesn't want to be noticed? Someone likes making costumes and dressing up. They can't do it at work, they can't do it at school, but they CAN do it at comic cons, anime cons, renaissance fairs, and so on. So maybe they don't read comics. Maybe they just like dressing up as comic characters. I bet a lot of people who watched The Avengers on opening night don't read comics either. Were they just there for the attention? Is it wrong if some chick who shows up at opening night for the next comic book movie wouldn't blow me on the spot because I know which issue of The Incredible Hulk Wolverine first appeared in? Even if the chick is into comics, why does that mean she should be sexually interested in some socially awkward out of shape introvert with bad hygiene just because they both showed up to a con? Nothing wrong with an attractive woman wanting an attractive man, and if you think that's shallow, why do these people at the cons want the Power Girl cosplayer?
    Just to give an example of what I was talking about...let's say I was looking for some kind of attention (any kind will do, just for the sake of this example) and I knew the best way to do that would be to go to the opening night of Harry Potter's last movie dressed as Harry Potter, even though I don't really care for Harry Potter. Wouldn't that seem really fake?

I think the point I was trying to make is...he's not wrong about some of them. He doesn't convey that opinion in the most PC of ways, but then again, no one can do anything about how someone tends to convey their opinion.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Fake or not who gives a shit. There are people who that in all forms of life and places, not just cons. In the end, they'll leave and the people who love the subject will stay.

Maybe, that's how some geekness start, not all, but some. Not from the way most of us got in it but from a level of fakeness to wanting to actually know the subject. It happens.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Just to give an example of what I was talking about...let's say I was looking for some kind of attention (any kind will do, just for the sake of this example) and I knew the best way to do that would be to go to the opening night of Harry Potter's last movie dressed as Harry Potter, even though I don't really care for Harry Potter. Wouldn't that seem really fake?
    No.
    First of all, if you love dressing up, you're doing what you like to do, regardless of your knowledge of the source material. That isn't fake. How many people at the Renn Fairs know the first thing about feudal Europe? I doubt many do. They like dressing up, and that's fine. Nobody questions what "kind" of attention they are after. And we all know what the root of this is. Pretty girl invades my fun place and doesn't want to have sex with me. BURN HER!

Second, even if the Harry Potter cosplayer never read the book or watched the movie, wouldn't a Harry Potter cosplayer, or a few, make the experience more fun for all the attendees? Why should they even be quizzed or questioned? But we both know they wouldn't be, because Harry Potter isn't The Black Cat, and outside of comics and Star Trek most people really don't care what level geek you are when you like something they like.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    No.
    First of all, if you love dressing up, you're doing what you like to do, regardless of your knowledge of the source material. That isn't fake. How many people at the Renn Fairs know the first thing about feudal Europe? I doubt many do. They like dressing up, and that's fine. Nobody questions what "kind" of attention they are after. And we all know what the root of this is. Pretty girl invades my fun place and doesn't want to have sex with me. BURN HER!

Second, even if the Harry Potter cosplayer never read the book or watched the movie, wouldn't a Harry Potter cosplayer, or a few, make the experience more fun for all the attendees? Why should they even be quizzed or questioned? But we both know they wouldn't be, because Harry Potter isn't The Black Cat, and outside of comics and Star Trek most people really don't care what level geek you are when you like something they like.
    Or she's not geek enough to sleep with you. What a fucking poser.

And guess what? It's all her fault and not your snobbery attitude.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I've once been told by some guy who I suspect didn't at the time own a single comic book that I wasn't a true comic nerd because I hadn't read Watchmen. Well, I don't consider myself a nerd anyway, and I am not interested in super hero comics. I would think if he knew so much about comics he'd know other kinds exist too. But the point is, he heard I liked comics, asked me about the most mainstream and commonly read comics among people who don't normally read comics, and upon hearing he'd read something I hadn't he went ahead and tried to defeat me in some nerd competition I didn't know I was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Or she's not geek enough to sleep with you. What a fucking poser.

And guess what? It's all her fault and not your snobbery attitude.
    I like the "con hot" comment.

"Your tits aren't rock hard torpedoes like this guy draws, get out of here!"
    But I guess the guy saying that would probably have rock hard torpedo tits.

So it looks like Tony Harris has become a crazy old man like Byrne and Miller. Shame, I loved his work on Starman.

Personally I don’t go to conventions in part because cosplay creeps me out a little. People in masks are fine in comics but it is almost never a good thing in real life.

Still, you have to admire the dedication of anyone that goes to the trouble of making a decent costume. Anyone who goes to that much effort to express their fandom has much more of a right to call themselves a “real nerd” than I do. All I do is consume the media and post on message boards.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL “B”.

I like the steampunk cosplay a lot. Not for me, but looking at the stuff online is fun.

I think he makes a GOOD point. there are those who cosplay and its straight up prostitution. "Tee Hee buy me that or you should buy that and we can hang out--but never do" crowd, and some poor dope buys books that are over priced because some hot and not so hot chick rings a guy's*ahem* bell.

And if any of you heard them talk about the same fans behind closed doors..Harris rant wouldn't seem that out of context, Its akin to working with someone who is in the KLAN but doesnt say how much they hate you, because they are getting paid.

Dont get me wrong there are REAL cosplayer's who do it for love of character or comics. But there are more than a few who take advantage of nerds lack of social skills. HIRED by vendors. And who also laugh when they count their profits.

So dont shoot the messenger. next time you are at a convention and see a comic fan pay 4 times as much for an issue because a woman with big boobs pushes them on his back..dont say you wont warned.

To those who do it for the love, I aint talkin bout you.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

I love that this has turned into the levels of nerd-dom and the degrees of geekery. I totally want to see some sort of graph or flow chart defining the levels of "real nerd status."

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    I think he makes a GOOD point. there are those who cosplay and its straight up prostitution. "Tee Hee buy me that or you should buy that and we can hang out--but never do" crowd, and some poor dope buys books that are over priced because some hot and not so hot chick rings a guy's*ahem* bell.

And if any of you heard them talk about the same fans behind closed doors..Harris rant wouldn't seem that out of context, Its akin to working with someone who is in the KLAN but doesnt say how much they hate you, because they are getting paid.

Dont get me wrong there are REAL cosplayer's who do it for love of character or comics. But there are more than a few who take advantage of nerds lack of social skills. HIRED by vendors. And who also laugh when they count their profits.

So dont shoot the messenger. next time you are at a convention and see a comic fan pay 4 times as much for an issue because a woman with big boobs pushes them on his back..dont say you wont warned.

To those who do it for the love, I aint talkin bout you.
    Women selling comics at a booth are paid to be there. Even in costume, I wouldn't call them cosplayers. They are doing a job, and that job is not prostitution. Blame the comics retailer, or blame the sad nerds who fall for it. That type of tactic is employed across all industries as well. Ever get a look at a waitress in a sports bar? Ever see an AXE commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Women like that don’t need to dress like the Black Cat and go to cons to pull off that trick. Besides, I have to assume that they’re the exception rather than the rule. After all, if the goal is the take advantage of lonely men in order to get free stuff at a place that only sells “nerd stuff” then the woman is still a nerd. A really bitchy nerd but still a nerd.

I think it’s far more likely that the lady dressed as Power Girl just wants some attention. Lets face it, that’s what the guy dressed as Deadpool wants too.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL “B”.

while i don't 'understand' the appeal of cosplay, whether it's a con, larping (or whatever it's called), re-enactments, tea bagging events, protests, etc., it's part of a geeky sub-culture. they don't have to love comics, or sci-fi. the fact that he predictably targeted women cosplayers, is well, predictable.

expect another sad rant by another male gatekeeper in a month or less.