Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Default Tony Harris on real geeks.

http://www.facebook.com/tony.harris..../4441714834591

So this was passed around this morning, and for those who don't know/remember who Tony Harris is (Cause I know that I didn't) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Harris_%28comics%29

I don't have much to say except that I think he's wrong. Anything else would include expletives....I do wonder if any of us here agree with him but I'd hope that it is a small percentage. In the end I think that Bendis expressed the opinion of those that disagree with him in the most humorous manner.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 11-13-2012 at 05:24 PM.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

What the fuck did I just read?

Not just in content but the way it was written. It looks and sounds like a angst high-schooler.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Yeah..that is part of the problem as well. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion and that's what makes it shocking that this guy has been nominated for Eisner awards. At least he hasn't won any.

Not surprising, most artists and writers will surprise you with their opinions.

Not really an opinion, more than, "IT'S YOUR FAULT AND NOT MINE FOR BEING AN ASSHOLE."
    The 9th Blog

This bullshit again.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

is he really known as Asshat or did someone just add that for kicks?

It's kind of a fitting title though in this instance

I"d love to see Bendis do that too
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Re-reading this again, my brain stumbles.

"WE are legion", "Con-hot", "You're not a greek because you dress hot".

and here's his second part:
    So heres my follow up commentary. Tried to "engage" my detractors on Twitter. Big mistake. Not gonna backpeddle. Not one step. I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me. See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave. Dont threaten to stop buying my work, because Im sure most of you who threw that gauntlet down, never did to begin with. Good riddance. Hey all you self righteous fuck-faces out there who are spewing even MORE hatred at me, than you accused me of spewing. pfffft. Really, thats how you come at me? Once you have moved on to hate on someone else....Good Riddance. But the one thing I HAVE to address is the use of the word MISOGYNY. So I am a Misogynist? Why? Because I frown upon Posers who are sad, needy fakers who use up all my air at Cons? Sorry, while you Cos"Play" Im actually at work. Thats my office. Fuck you. I actually dont hate women, I dont fear them either. Nor do I mistrust them. I do not portray or Objectify half naked women in my work. I never have. I have always been VERY vocal about my dislike of that practice, and that my view is and has been that T&A in comics is a Pox. If you wanna come at me with accusations of Misogyny and sexism, youll be wrong. I think there are several Hundred "PRos" I could rattle off that are doing a fine job of perpetuating that crap without ANY help from me. Its not helping to further our industry. Hey haters, Im not sad, lonely, stupid, uneducated, gay, nor do I wear Assess for a Hat. Im not a Sexist, and have been very vocal about the fact that its a GOOD thing to see so many female fans at shows, and I treat them with the same kindness and respect as I do ANY male fan I meet. I guess the one mistake I made in my original post was that I excluded Men. Let me rectify that...... SOME of you MEN, are as bad as SOME of the Women Cosplayers, I talked about earlier. There. Oh and to all of you guys who are my friends, and pros who I work with, dont go and try and defend me or anything I wrote. Youll just get shit on. Thanks though. And lastly, Bleeding Cool, and Rich Johnston are Shithead, scumbags, and this isnt the first time his camp has come after me. Fuck you Rich.
    Taken from the comments
    The 9th Blog

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well I can say this... Tony Harris won't win a PC award anytime soon. I don't know what to think of his comments that are angry clearly. I just wonder if this was building for awhile.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

A part of me things that it stems from an honest place. I really do. I was on Twitter earlier today and notice that there was a lot of conversation about Cosplay. I admire him for coming right out and saying something like that. Especially when some of those people he is speaking ill of may be fans of his work.

He's a really great artist and, like anyone, is entitled to his opinion.

For the record, I love seeing people in cosplay. Not just sexy girls, but guys, too. Some of them put so much work into their costumes, you know that the dedication comes from a real place. The local convention I go to, sometimes it's just jam packed with cosplayers and to be honest, not all of them are there as comic book fans. I actually think majority of them are there as anime fans. Once again, their dedication comes from a real place.

Also, there are a few people that you see at convention that are strictly there for the attention, not because they are fans of something. I think he's not wrong about that. Not only that, I don't think he's wrong when he says that some of them are doing it strictly for the attention and they would not give anyone the time of the day. Especially the really geeky ones.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

So this guy who needs to swipe photos in order to draw some crappy comic I've never heard of is mad at cosplayers because nobody cosplays as Starman, I imagine.

And it's not just outside the con those girls won't give him the time of day.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Also, there are a few people that you see at convention that are strictly there for the attention, not because they are fans of something. I think he's not wrong about that. Not only that, I don't think he's wrong when he says that some of them are doing it strictly for the attention and they would not give anyone the time of the day. Especially the really geeky ones.
    What attention, exactly are they after? And what cosplayer doesn't want to be noticed? Someone likes making costumes and dressing up. They can't do it at work, they can't do it at school, but they CAN do it at comic cons, anime cons, renaissance fairs, and so on. So maybe they don't read comics. Maybe they just like dressing up as comic characters. I bet a lot of people who watched The Avengers on opening night don't read comics either. Were they just there for the attention? Is it wrong if some chick who shows up at opening night for the next comic book movie wouldn't blow me on the spot because I know which issue of The Incredible Hulk Wolverine first appeared in? Even if the chick is into comics, why does that mean she should be sexually interested in some socially awkward out of shape introvert with bad hygiene just because they both showed up to a con? Nothing wrong with an attractive woman wanting an attractive man, and if you think that's shallow, why do these people at the cons want the Power Girl cosplayer?

And that's why you shouldn't drunk-post. Not just because you might say something stupid, but you might say it in a stupid way. He should've taken a breath somewhere in that rant.

"Oh and to all of you guys who are my friends, and pros who I work with, dont go and try and defend me or anything I wrote."

I'm sure that's a thing that was going to happen

Who would want to defend that.

If I was a pro, I'd distance myself from him.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 11-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    The 9th Blog

He's not really wrong...but he comes off sounding like a Cosplayer raped his dog or something.