Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Nov 13, 2012

Augie has his hands on an early copy of the "Art of Todd McFarlane," an awesome retrospective of the last 25 years of McFarlane's career, even with some narrative difficulties. Also, Dave Sim follows through on his lettering.

Full article here.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

There's no Todd, but TODD!

Might have to pick this up for a self-xmas present. Oozes nostalgia. Wish McFarlane had more time to draw recently...

I've had a copy of the s/n edition preordered since the day it was solicited, so if all goes according to plan, it should be at my LCS next week.

I'm one of the guys who hasn't read every McFarlane article in the various trade publications, so there should be a fair bit of new material and interesting tidbits in there for me.

Augie - any credit given to those who contributed to the book with scans, etc? I'm curious because TMP resolicited info from those who contributed through their Facebook page a few months back. They mentioned they would be doing something to recognize contributors, just not what.

Not a big enough McFarlane fan to buy this, but we'll see, I might change my mind when I browse it at the store.

Cool that it includes both his Marvel and DC stuff.
    That's what was missing from Jim Lee's book, how can it be called ICON when it includes none of the Marvel art that made Lee an actual Icon?

Quote Originally Posted by IAMFeAR7 View Post
    Not a big enough McFarlane fan to buy this, but we'll see, I might change my mind when I browse it at the store.

Cool that it includes both his Marvel and DC stuff.
    That's what was missing from Jim Lee's book, how can it be called ICON when it includes none of the Marvel art that made Lee an actual Icon?

That's because the book was called "Icons: the DC and Wildstorm art of Jim Lee" which was done in the same vein of "Mythology: The DC Art of Alex Ross". Incidently, Wizard put out a book that featured Jim's Marvel work also but only went up to 2003 as far as work featured in general.

Quote Originally Posted by murch View Post
    I've had a copy of the s/n edition preordered since the day it was solicited, so if all goes according to plan, it should be at my LCS next week.

I'm one of the guys who hasn't read every McFarlane article in the various trade publications, so there should be a fair bit of new material and interesting tidbits in there for me.

Augie - any credit given to those who contributed to the book with scans, etc? I'm curious because TMP resolicited info from those who contributed through their Facebook page a few months back. They mentioned they would be doing something to recognize contributors, just not what.
    Yes! In the credits page at the end, there's a list of Spawn board members (handles and real names) who contributed-- maybe a dozen of them. Wait, here's the excerpt:

http://www.variousandsundry.com/cbr/internet-thanks.jpg

(Keep in mind I was working off a lo-res PDF for this review; it looks a sharper in the print edition.)

-Augie

Cool! Thanks, Augie.