Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What if? The End of Batman

So let's say we are in some sort of alternate reality. Tomorrow DC will decide to have Batman age in real time. Which means he will age and eventually have to retire, die, pass on the cowl, etc...

You can have your pick of established alternate futures for Batman or something completely new.

So how should Batman age, and how should his career end?

Dark Knight Returns? Batman Beyond? Killed in action? A peaceful retirement? Something wild, like John Byrne's Generations where he becomes almost immortal? Something else entirely?

I considered putting up a poll, but there are so many options I didn't bother. Also this is not an argument for Batman aging, retiring or dying. It's just for discussion about IF that happened, how would you like to see it go down.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I haven't seen it and I'd like to hear some thoughts on the subject.
    Life looks better in black and white.

BANNED

Trips on the staircase and dies.

But seriously, I'd have him step down from Batman. Just run things from behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Well we always knew that capes can cause serious accidents.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

I think "editorial" has for some time been insinuating that Tim is the logical choice to inherit the cowl. I think before the "reboot" Dick was the only other member of the DCU really capable of leading a team like JL, but Aquaman is the logical choice now. Damian and Jason are bound to work together to kill people and to try to kill each other. As for Inc. it was Tim's creation so he will be busy with them and Dick will protect Gotham. Dick will be troubled and try to keep the family together after everyone moves on, but he's a loner now too. The only way any of that happens is if Bruce dies (or gets trapped in time until they want to bring him back). As long as Bruce lives he is in charge of the show.

In my head the only way to end Batman is killing Batman and the only way of killing Batman is revealing in an irrefutable way that he is Bruce Wayne and everything the family has been doing all this time.

I think "editorial" has for some time been insinuating that Tim is the logical choice to inherit the cowl.
    How? Before the reboot Tim was in his way to be the next Lex Luthor, and now he doesn't really do much beside being the best at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    In my head the only way to end Batman is killing Batman and the only way of killing Batman is revealing in an irrefutable way that he is Bruce Wayne and everything the family has been doing all this time.

How? Before the reboot Tim was in his way to be the next Lex Luthor, and now he doesn't really do much beside being the best at everything.
    I would be a fan of Batman dying in action. Because I think that is the only way he would ever stop, no matter how old he got.

Gets an STD
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

My choice would be the original Earth-2. Steps down, becomes police commissioner of Gotham, marries Catwoman, and his crime-fighting mission is taken up by his daughter, the Huntress.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    I would be a fan of Batman dying in action. Because I think that is the only way he would ever stop, no matter how old he got.
    I agree, Bruce or Dick or Jean Paul would go down fighting but, after that, Batman would keep going, the death of the man using the cowl is not the end of batman. To kill Batman you need to kill the myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

But seriously, I'd have him step down from Batman. Just run things from behind the scenes.
    I too would like this type of role for bruce, much like in batman beyond how bruce was in the cave, talking to terry whilst he's actually out in gotham on the misson's

Bruce Wayne has to die, not Batman. I'd make it ironic. Bruce is shot in Crime Alley trying to stop a mugging.

Bruce is still Batman but as in Batman Beyond's pilot he has taken to using tech to keep his edge. He is returning from some social event to the Manor so he can begin his Batman patrol. He spots a family being forced into Crime Alley at gunpoint and decides to intervene. He is just a bit slow and though the family manages to escape the mugger manages to shoot Bruce (who didn't completely compensate for the lack of bullet-proof Bat-armor).

A few nights later Batman catches the shooter. The legend continues with a different face beneath the cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I think "editorial" has for some time been insinuating that Tim is the logical choice to inherit the cowl. I think before the "reboot" Dick was the only other member of the DCU really capable of leading a team like JL, but Aquaman is the logical choice now. Damian and Jason are bound to work together to kill people and to try to kill each other. As for Inc. it was Tim's creation so he will be busy with them and Dick will protect Gotham. Dick will be troubled and try to keep the family together after everyone moves on, but he's a loner now too. The only way any of that happens is if Bruce dies (or gets trapped in time until they want to bring him back). As long as Bruce lives he is in charge of the show.
    I don't think they're really pushing that anymore. Now it seems like Damian and then Terry is the intended bat future. Which I'm fine with. I can see Tim eventually stepping down as RR and stepping up as CEO of Batman Incorporated. It fits his whole theme of not wanting to be a career cape, but still wanting to help people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Before the reboot Tim was in his way to be the next Lex Luthor
    issues please

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    I don't think they're really pushing that anymore. Now it seems like Damian and then Terry is the intended bat future. Which I'm fine with. I can see Tim eventually stepping down as RR and stepping up as CEO of Batman Incorporated. It fits his whole theme of not wanting to be a career cape, but still wanting to help people.
    Since the beginning of the character they have used every chance they've had to have Bruce say "That kid [Tim] will be the 'Worlds' Greatest Detective' someday". And at the end of the last run he wasn't mini Lex, he was mini-Bruce planning, brooding, and claiming "Gotham is my city". Now he is becoming the leader Dick was (the only other person in the DCU capable of leading JL). Damian is a killer, like Jason. As long as Bruce and Dick are alive he won't be wearing the cowl.

They did it, and it was great. Morrison wrote it. Neil Gaiman wrote the funeral.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/