Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Henstridge, De Caestecker Join Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D."

Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker are the latest to be cast in Joss Whedon's upcoming "S.H.I.E.L.D." television series as Agent Gemma Simmons and Agent Leo Fitz, respectively.

Full article here.

Maybe it's just me but I am starting to get a tad disappointed that this is all just gonna be newly created SHIELD agents and Coulson without Fury, Hill or any of the renowned SHIELD agents in the comics like Agent Jimmy Woo, Sharon Carter, Contessa De Fontaine and Eric O'Grady or characters connected to SHIELD like Jessica Drew, Bobbi Morse or Daisy Johnson. I've got faith in Weldon but I don't want this show to feel like it's a bunch of guys and gals with patches on their shoulder without any of the things we connect to SHIELD like HYDRA, AIM, battles with super criminals and the like. Otherwise there's little point saying it's set within the Marvel Universe.

So you can tell all of that from a few cast announcements? Wow. That's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    So you can tell all of that from a few cast announcements? Wow. That's impressive.
    No, but we can read between the lines. Unless the names change between now and airing, it doesn't look like any familiar SHIELD agents are part of the "main cast" of the show. While that is in some ways a good thing as it can make the live-or-die stakes genuinely suspenseful (doubtful they'd kill off a major SHIELD supporting character on a TV show), it'd be nice to have at least one or two familiar names/faces among the "core" cast.

Even Coulson/Clark Gregg I'm betting amounts to a "special guest star" for the pilot and the rest of the show takes place after his death.

My chief concern amongst all this is that all the major or reasonably well-known (among comic fans) comic elements and characters are being reserved for potential use in future movies (particularly a Nick Fury/SHIELD film) and thus we might basically end up with "CSI: Marvel." I have no interest in watching a show about guys (and gals) in suits investigating Z-list Marvel villains so obscure that even most comic fans might have to dig deep to recognize them.

I want Agent Cheesecake!

The problem with "reading between the lines" is that it is totally a guessing game. And the fanboy curse is to assume the worst until proven wrong. At one time ALL the Shield agents were new. So who's to say that this group of agents won't turn out to be just as interesting as those others. And who's to say that some more "famous" agents might filter into the show from time to time as guest stars. Wouldn't it be a cool easter egg if Dum Dum Dugan showed up for an episode or three? Maybe to set up his appearance in a future movie.

See, reading between the lines can go both ways, but its all guesswork and hoping.

Awww damn.

I am SO let down by that headline, I thought it was gonna be NATASHA Henstridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post

My chief concern amongst all this is that all the major or reasonably well-known (among comic fans) comic elements and characters are being reserved for potential use in future movies (particularly a Nick Fury/SHIELD film) and thus we might basically end up with "CSI: Marvel." I have no interest in watching a show about guys (and gals) in suits investigating Z-list Marvel villains so obscure that even most comic fans might have to dig deep to recognize them.
    That's partly my concern too - whilst I'm not asking for a B-List Avenger to cameo every week the show does have the opportunity to inject a number of SHIELD-related characters and introduce them, regardless of whether there's a movie inbound or not. The series needs to build on what the Avenger films have created, possibly introducing a modern HYDRA with someone like Baron Strucker (since Viper is evidently off the table for some reason). Maybe something Asgardian could bleed in too - a modern take on the Wrecking Crew could be interesting.

One person they'll need to bring in sooner or later is Daisy Johnson, she'd be perfect for a series like this and she could be the sole powered person on the team. Clearly remove any mutant connections and have her gain her powers somehow.

This series is surely going to be the most overhype tv series of all time. There's no way it can live up to the expectations and hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    The problem with "reading between the lines" is that it is totally a guessing game. And the fanboy curse is to assume the worst until proven wrong. At one time ALL the Shield agents were new. So who's to say that this group of agents won't turn out to be just as interesting as those others. And who's to say that some more "famous" agents might filter into the show from time to time as guest stars. Wouldn't it be a cool easter egg if Dum Dum Dugan showed up for an episode or three? Maybe to set up his appearance in a future movie.

See, reading between the lines can go both ways, but its all guesswork and hoping.
    Sure, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but what we do know is that thus far Agent Coulson and the SHIELD organization itself are the only known quantities that's been mentioned in connection with the show, and Coulson himself is a movie invention, not a comic-based character (he's since been introduced in the comics, but originated in the films), and if my suspicions are true isn't going to be part of the show beyond the pilot, anyway.

The "New guys can become interesting too!" is also true, but part of the point of playing in a pre-existing sandbox (the Marvel Universe) is wanting to play with the familiar toys associated with that sandbox. From a fan's perspective, part of the potential appeal of a SHIELD TV show is seeing the familiar given a live-action twist.

Yeah, a Dum-Dum appearance would be cool. You know what would be even cooler? Dum Dum being a regular on the show. Funny how that argument works both ways.

I don't doubt that Whedon will keep the show entertaining, and it isn't like most of us aren't going to give it a shot, but as it stands at this moment, with the limited information we have available to us, we have yet to see anything actually "comic-based" appearing in the show. Even a single member of "the team" having been a pre-established in the source material SHIELD agent would have been fine by me, but an entirely new cast of characters does indeed bring cause for minor concern. You might feel otherwise, and that's fine, but it's a perfectly understandable worry.