Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I'm still buying games for the Wii to this day. In fact, I just bought Kirby's Dream Collection last week and enjoying it quite a bit, and I want to pick up The Last Story next. The console is definitely more family oriented, but where it failed was in the controls for non-motion games (although the classic controller is decent).

I remember thinking that the Wii's controller and hardware would be garbage for any game I'd actually be interested in playing. I was right.

First time I've ever traded in a console.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    So I was a more hardcore gamer when I was playing Super C and Ninja Gaiden at five than the young adults playing the Halo series, which is dumbed down gaming if I've ever seen it. .
    If it's that easy, I take it you plow through the games on legendary mode and destroy everyone online?
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I remember thinking that the Wii's controller and hardware would be garbage for any game I'd actually be interested in playing. I was right.

First time I've ever traded in a console.

If it's that easy, I take it you plow through the games on legendary mode and destroy everyone online?
    Multiplayer is a different thing, as people are always smarter than AI, but Halo actually isn't very hard with difficulty maxed, i always assumed because they didn't put a ton of time into the campaigns.

Also, despite my defense of the Wii and my criticism of pansy games like Halo and Assassin's Creed, I do think the 360 is the best home console of the current generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I like how you have to play it on a certain mode and get online with a bunch of greasy nerds for it to be challenging, whereas Super C is just hard as hell from the get-go. With all this in mind, it's pretty clear which game is for alpha nerds looking for a true hardcore experience (Super C) and which game is for insecure nerds (Halo).

I got my Wii exclusively to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other Nintendo first party games, along the way some games like Murasama and Tatsunoko vs Capcom sneaked their way into my small Wii collection; but yeah overall I think the console gave me exactly what I expected it to

a few good games, that when looking back on them, I enjoyed them more than any other game on other consoles

I can't wait to play both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on my WiiU... just hope my motion plus still works

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Like the N64 and the GC, it was best for Nintendo games only. And the good games weren't just good, they were amazing, even if they came out sporadically. At this point, only a fool buys a Nintendo system for anything other than Nintendo games. If you love those games, great. If not, go with another console.
    Last edited by Mike Pothier; 11-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pothier View Post
    Like the N64 and the GC, it was best for Nintendo games only. And the good games weren't just good, they were amazing, even if they came out sporadically. At this point, only a fool buys a Nintendo system for anything other than Nintendo games. If you love those games, great. If not, go with another console.
    I bought a Wii mainly for Muramasa and Sin and Punishment and was not disappointed. In fact, the majority of Wii games that I've purchased have not been Nintendo games.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Those games have been released on almost all consoles and on PC, don't say a lot about Nintendo marketing plans for being honest.

And are those really seen as "hardcore" games ?
    Yes they are seen as hardcore last time I checked. And this is where I'll leave it as us agreeing to disagree.
    Last edited by Venom; 11-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

I've always bought Nintendo's systems since the NES without question because they have always put out quality hardware and good games. As mentioned the Mario, Metroid, Zelda games are what keep with the system anything else is just icing on the cake. RE4 Wii happens to be the game that got me into playing RE even though it first premiered on the GC. The Wii controls were specifically what got me to try a shooter game, which I hadn't before other than Metroid Prime. BUt when my NES, SNES, N64, and gameboy are still the original working systems I bought, and my Wii lasted for four years of heavy use before the laser sensor went out. But my first Xbox lasted about a 14 months and it died, I paid to replace it and that one lasted another year or so and died. Hearing all the hype of the quality of the Slim I bought one brand new and it died some 5 days after the one year warranty and I again had to pay to get it fixed. So to say I have had almost 3 decades of successful Nintendo systems there wasn't a doubt in my mind, nor is there with the Wii U.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

I like how you have to play it on a certain mode and get online with a bunch of greasy nerds for it to be challenging, whereas Super C is just hard as hell from the get-go. With all this in mind, it's pretty clear which game is for alpha nerds looking for a true hardcore experience (Super C) and which game is for insecure nerds (Halo).
    I hear that! Super C is awesome, I love the old Contra games. I used to coop those games with my brothers all the time, Contra 3 is still one of my favorite games out there. Contra 4 for the DS... oh man, that game is hard! I loved it.

Vanquish's Challenge 6 has to be one of the hardest things ever.... WHICH I DID! WOOOOOOOOO! Took me 4 days to complete it, while for other people it is taking months to years! I had a random guy on my PSN message me with a holy shit I did that! and he wanted to know if I would do it for him by logging in his account and doing it for him, I said nah, he then offered me 20 bucks lol which I still didn't take, I don't want to dumb down the challenge by letting noobs get the reward for it!

I can also beat the first Super Mario bros on the NES in around 8 Mins. I love that game.

Contra 4 is perhaps the hardest game I've ever beaten. But damn it's fun. More people need to play that game instead of what passes for hardcore these days.

Also, despite my defense of the Wii and my criticism of pansy games like Halo and Assassin's Creed, I do think the 360 is the best home console of the current generation.

Putting a game on hard mode if you want a challenge? How unreasonable.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Who said it was unreasonable? It's just lame to cite a game as hardcore if you have to change the difficulty settings to make it remotely challenging or if you have to play it online to have a good time.

Overall, the modern hardcore movement is fake, elitist, and annoying. I hope casual gamers continue to dominate the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Pretty silly critic honestly, casual gamers is where the money is. As Nintendo proved a lot of times.
    Well, you have to remember, the people making the criticism were themselves hardcore gamers.

It's the same "How dare they not cater to me!" grog you get from comics fans who are pissed that Marvel doesn't make the same comics now that they did twenty years ago.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

I do agree that the challenge of difficulties in single player games aren't anywhere near what they used to be tho. If you died in the older games, you were screwed and had to start over from the beginning! While in today's games, health just comes back if you stand still and autosave checkpoints, etc etc.

I beat Goldeneye and did all of the challenges on 007 mode! LSDFJSLKFJLDJFLSDJF then years after youtube, I decided to look up how some people did the 2nd level to the game in the facility map... THE GUY BEAT IT WITH JUST THE CHOP! :( I cried, my way was similar, I just shot once everyone that I went by.