Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31
    Junior Member darkmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    234

    Default

    I am not too keen on it because well I already had a xbox 360(then moved to a ps3),also the fact of the matter the games were okey.It really did not enjoy the game selection at the time.

  2. #32
    Junior Member darkmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    A lot of gaming should be for kids, and there's nothing wrong with playing games intended for kids, either. "Hardcore gaming" has pretty much lost the meaning it once had. The "hard" in "hardcore" meant that the games were actually hard! So I was a more hardcore gamer when I was playing Super C and Ninja Gaiden at five than the young adults playing the Halo series, which is dumbed down gaming if I've ever seen it.

    Halo, Assassin's Creed, and a lot of other "hardcore" games are no more sophisticated or mature than Wii Golf, and they're not difficult to play at all, just like Wii Golf.
    Then what you suggesting ,all games be rated e ,so no games just for the adult gamer?not that I do not mind palying kids game but sometimes see games that gave a little bit of mature rating.

  3. #33
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    No, I didn't suggest that all games should be rated E. I said a lot of gaming should be for kids. The reason is that kids love video games. When I was a kid, I loved them and had more time to play them than I do now.

    The major implication of what I said is that people who criticize games for being casual or kiddy are basically being pathetic human beings.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Who said it was unreasonable? It's just lame to cite a game as hardcore if you have to change the difficulty settings to make it remotely challenging or if you have to play it online to have a good time.
    The existence of multiple difficulties somehow makes it "lame"? I don't follow the logic. So games with a reputation for being challenging (even by old school standards) like Ninja Gaiden, XCOM, Bayonetta, Vanquish or Devil May Cry don't count because there's a mode for lesser skilled players? It's lame to say games like Street Fighter, Starcraft or Virtua Fighter are hardcore because you have to play against another person to get the most out of it?

    That's some arbitrary shit if I ever heard it.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-16-2012 at 10:37 AM.

  5. #35
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Nice strawman, because I didn't say multiple difficulties make any game lame. And yes, it would be lame to call Street Fighter hardcore just because you have trouble beating other players. How does that make a game hardcore? What about those multiplayer games for casual gamers and kids? What if you got your ass kicked playing those games? Could you then say they're hardcore games, too?

    Like I said, the modern hardcore movement is fake, elitist, and annoying. Your standards for hardcore are the most arbitrary nonsense in all of gaming.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer
    I didn't say multiple difficulties make any game lame
    I should've been clearer, "Lame to cite a game as hardcore" (although I don't recall referring to Halo as such...or bringing up "hardcore" games at all)

    And yes, it would be lame to call Street Fighter hardcore just because you have trouble beating other players. How does that make a game hardcore?
    That's not what I said. I said that you'd have to play against another human to get the most out of it. I really shouldn't have to explain why that is.

    Your standards for hardcore are the most arbitrary nonsense in all of gaming.
    I never actually said what my standards are. Though I don't see the problem with acknowledging that some games have more depth than others.

    Anyway, my original point is that it's silly to accuse a game of being dumbed down if you haven't actually played any of the challenging parts of the game (whatever those may be).
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.

  7. #37
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    That's not what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    It's lame to say games like Street Fighter, Starcraft or Virtua Fighter are hardcore because you have to play against another person to get the most out of it?
    We've been talking about difficulty the whole time, by the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Anyway, my original point is that it's silly to accuse a game of being dumbed down if you haven't actually played any of the challenging parts of the game (whatever those may be).
    Compared to games that are challenging even on easy or normal, Halo is dumbed down. It's a lesser version of Doom.

    Sure, I could have gotten online and played against a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do than play Halo. I'm not denying that. But ANY game is challenging against experts.

  8. #38
    Junior Member darkmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    No, I didn't suggest that all games should be rated E. I said a lot of gaming should be for kids. The reason is that kids love video games. When I was a kid, I loved them and had more time to play them than I do now.

    The major implication of what I said is that people who criticize games for being casual or kiddy are basically being pathetic human beings.
    I think play more now then I did before.But then again I am not married and do not have any children right now.Also my job is very flexible with its hours(when I do pass school).

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    We've been talking about difficulty the whole time, by the way.
    I said, "playing another person to get the most out of it" as in the game having layers that are only apparent when you're playing a human opponent and not an A.I. that's just going to walk into your fist. That is not the same thing as, "derp derp having trouble beating another person".

    Sure, I could have gotten online and played against a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do than play Halo. I'm not denying that. But ANY game is challenging against experts.
    I like how anyone who plays multi is a loser.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.

  10. #40
    Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    We're not? I can't wait to tell my blow up doll that I'm not a loser! WOOO!

  11. #41
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I like how anyone who plays multi is a loser.
    I recommend signing up for a reading class or two.

  12. #42
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    To me, it wasn't a bad idea for Nintendo to focus on causal gaming, for causal gamers. I can remember back when my family would play the Atari 2600 and the NES, back in the 80's. To me that was fun. I'm not against hardcore gaming, either. I think there needs to be a nice balance and the Wii U seems to be going in that direction.

  13. #43
    Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    My only problem with the wii u is that all of the games require the use of the gamepad, the gamepad dies too often, even with the brightness turned down, etc, All of the games should have a secondary control scheme for the Pro controller or even the wii remotes. Plus, if it breaks, you're fucked and can't just buy a new one cause everything is tied to that console and you have to phone nintendo to get it repaired or another refurbished one.

    I personally wouldn't recommend a wii u, till they figure out what to do for an alternative option if your gamepad breaks that won't cost you 150 dollars to get it repaired.

  14. #44
    Elder Member Wjowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,374

    Default

    The entire concept of 'hardcore' gaming ala Skyrim is a recent aberration. Videogames got their start in the mainstream as 'party' games played by two or more people in bars.

  15. #45
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,995

    Default

    This thread went in an interested direction that i didn't intend.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •