Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR TV @ NYCC: David Finch Introduces "Justice League of America"

"Justice League of America" artist David Finch stopped by the CBR Tiki Room at New York Comic Con 2012 to speak about his work on the upcoming DC series and his desire to direct live-action.

Full article here.

I love David Finch artwork and have always had a soft spot for Vibe, so I'll be buying it but this line-up is awful. Why is Catwoman on a superhero team?

BANNED

It's only kind of a superhero team. Their theme is "world's dangerous heroes" and it's obvious that Catwoman and Steve Trevor will have some "you have something I want" kind of deal.

For whatever reason I thought this headline was "David Fincher Introduces Justice League", as in a (pretty kick ass) director announcement for the JL movie.

Not really his style of movie, though.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It's only kind of a superhero team. Their theme is "world's dangerous heroes" and it's obvious that Catwoman and Steve Trevor will have some "you have something I want" kind of deal.
    It's half superhero half military.

And, I suspect, all yawn.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

I'm not the biggest fan of Finch's art work, his faces often looked alike to me, but then I've been told he's gotten better in that. Good to see enthusiasm though.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Finch's art work, his faces often looked alike to me, but then I've been told he's gotten better in that. Good to see enthusiasm though.
    I'm going to be completely shocked if he can keep monthly on this. No offense meant, as I appreciate the work he does, but doing "Batman" monthly and then doing a big superhero punch up monthly is very different. He's got a cast of some, what, 8 characters plus antagonists?

Good thing he's got tons of lead time!

I'll trade this.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    It's half superhero half military.

And, I suspect, all yawn.
    That description reminds me of Ultimates. You've pointed out Millar-Johns similarities quite a bit, but come to think of it, I don't think Johns is as clever at doing that kind of political allegory.

I'm going to be completely shocked if he can keep monthly on this. No offense meant, as I appreciate the work he does, but doing "Batman" monthly and then doing a big superhero punch up monthly is very different. He's got a cast of some, what, 8 characters plus antagonists?

Good thing he's got tons of lead time!
    You bring up a good point. Let's hope the lead time is enough.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

That description reminds me of Ultimates. You've pointed out Millar-Johns similarities quite a bit, but come to think of it, I don't think Johns is as clever at doing that kind of political allegory.
    Haha, what clever? A vapid writer writing about vapid people, an ineffectual government, ultra violent heroes....I don't see a lot of real allegory there, not anymore than the small amount Johns puts into his work.

He'll be necessarily restrained by in continuity circumstance, but I think we'll probably get something similar.

I'll be picking this up, but I'd prefer a different interior artist.

Finch does a lot of great covers, but it doesn't seem like a lot of time and attention is ever spent on the interior.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

Haha, what clever? A vapid writer writing about vapid people, an ineffectual government, ultra violent heroes....I don't see a lot of real allegory there, not anymore than the small amount Johns puts into his work.

He'll be necessarily restrained by in continuity circumstance, but I think we'll probably get something similar.
    Yeah I agree it's overall vapid, but I do think it was the right way to do a parody/glorification of the whole government-superhero connection. I guess as far as clever goes, Warren Ellis did it much better in Stormwatch.

Yeah I agree it's overall vapid, but I do think it was the right way to do a parody/glorification of the whole government-superhero connection. I guess as far as clever goes, Warren Ellis did it much better in Stormwatch.
    I should probably clarify the vapid statement, because I know it to be a calculated move on his part, although I do think those kinds of superficial stories are the kind of work he prefers to do. He was embedding a lot of symbolism and allusion into his Swamp Thing run, and his Superman Adventures stuff at the very least demonstrated a solid grasp of craft, which I think has continued throughout even his worst work. He knows how to structure his work, at least, how to keep it exciting and kinetic.

Anyway, Ellis' Stormwatch was to me not much parody but a pretty straight take on the whole government institution stuff, albeit there was a critique there. It was a continuation of the kind of cyberpunk political stuff he was doing in Doom 2099.

Nextwave, on the other hand, was straight parody of all the superheroic conventions, including government organizations.

But you know, I just didn't see much critique in what Millar was doing. I suppose at some point there may have been that element embedded in the narrative, but it was more a look at celebrity culture, with superheroes as vapid and empty as modern celebrities. "Hulk eat freddie prince junior" and all that.

Ultimately (no pun intended) I really believe that it morphed into a glorification of of it, rather than a critique of it, though. Like Rorshach in Watchmen, except this time the author bought into it.

I actually think Johns may bring better writing to this than he has in Justice League itself. Rather than the big seven, he's got to pick and choose a bit more, and thus has his own toys to play with. That maybe wishful thinking on my part, mind you. I DO hope we don't have constant friction in the group. I know some folks love it, but I think it is far too often overdone.