Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Star Wars Jumping on.

I read alot of marvel and valiant, but I haven't read any star wars. What would be a good jumping on point for Star Wars comics. I know this is probably already thread somewhere, If so I have no problem with it being merged and sorry.

Really digging the Dawn of the Jedi series. If you want to go all the way to the beginning to find out why it is what it is.

Just noticed it looks like Star Wars is going to have an ongoing starting in January with Luke, Leia, Han and the rest of the original cast.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratewes View Post
    I read alot of marvel and valiant, but I haven't read any star wars. What would be a good jumping on point for Star Wars comics. I know this is probably already thread somewhere, If so I have no problem with it being merged and sorry.
    If you've watched the movies, then you can read any Star Wars comics you find, although DH has some yearly mini series, where it's best to start at the beginning (Dawn of The Jedi, Knights Errant, Dark Times, Invasion)

The best one right now is Agent of the Empire, but there is a new Star Wars ongoing set after Episode IV coming in January by Brian Wood(X-men, DMZ, Ultimate X-men, Northlanders) so we'll see when it comes out.

My favorites would be Star wars republic(collected in/being collected in omnibus format) , which is the now non-canon story of the clone wars and Star wars Legacy, a series set 130 years after the movies.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I have only read a couple of trades, but Nights of the Old Republic was great.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

You can always experience what many considered to be the Episodes VII VIII and IX until the recent announcement : The Heir to the Empire trilogy, originally published in prose format and some great comic adaptations from Dark Horse available in TPB.

There's also the next step, the Dark Empire trilogy, a completely original comic set a few years after Heir to the Empire, pretty great stuff also available in TPB.

If you want to follow current single issues, I'll also throw in Agent of the Empire; its the best thing to happen to Star Wars comics in a while. And Brian Wood's upcoming series looks very interesting as well.

I personally tend to steer clear of the centuries removed eras, but they have their fair share of fans.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Whenever Marvel does their reboot.
    Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Star Wars is done by dark horse so Marvel NOW doesnt really have a whole lot to do with it.

I just read Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm from a buddy of mine. pretty good stuff so far, It looks like I may try to tackle Knights of the Old Republic. Looking at all the different series out there it seems like Star Wars comics arent nearly as plaqued by annoying continuity issues like that of most marvel comics. As in, I can just pick up any story arc, enjoy and not be overly confused about back story that may have happened 3

Star Wars is done by dark horse so Marvel NOW doesnt really have a whole lot to do with it.

I just read Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm from a buddy of mine. pretty good stuff so far, It looks like I may try to tackle Knights of the Old Republic. Looking at all the different series out there it seems like Star Wars comics arent nearly as plaqued by annoying continuity issues like that of most marvel comics. As in, I can just pick up any story arc, enjoy and not be overly confused about back story that may have happened 3
    Well, yes. The only case of continuity problems I know of was when Star Wars:republic was made non-canon by the Clone wars TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Rhoades View Post
    Just noticed it looks like Star Wars is going to have an ongoing starting in January with Luke, Leia, Han and the rest of the original cast.
    That is awesome news!

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Hahahhaaa

There are so many different SW things to read that DH has made.

There are era's focusing on the distant past (KOTOR, Dawn of the Jedi)

The future, after the OT films (Heir to the Empire trilogy, Legacy)

focusing on villians (Darth Vader, Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett, Darth Maul)

there's a little something for everyone!!!
    Comics still reading: Floppies- Saga TPB- GI Joe ARAH, Sixth Gun, Hawkeye, Usagi Yojimbo. DC nu52 is unreadable...

I would suggest checking out the Rogue Squadron series from the 90s. It's a fun series that follows the further adventures of Wedge Antilles and the X-wing "Rogue" squadron, and also deals with what happens to the Empire after ROTJ. It also ties in with novels that are set a few years later. Some stories are better than others; the "In The Empire's Service/Making of Baron Fel" saga was perhaps the best in the series, and also has an impact on later novels and comics.

Also worth checking out is Tales of the Jedi, a group of miniseries which take place thousands of years before the films. Basically, they deal with the ancient Jedi/Sith battles, provide some background context to a lot of the stuff in "Dark Empire" and the Jedi Academy novels, lay the foundation that "Knights of the Old Republic" would build on in both it's comic and game forms.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

I'm looking for comics available on dark horses digital app, or collected in trade that deal with in cannon clone wars stuff......not really the kiddy cartoon stuff, unless you tell me it's really good

Or something from in between movies 3 and 4

Thoughts?
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 12-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Wouldn't get too excited about any DH Wars comics now that it's been confirmed they're losing the license.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    Wouldn't get too excited about any DH Wars comics now that it's been confirmed they're losing the license.
    a) It hasn't been confirmed at all (although it'll almost certainly happen IMO).
    b) Why would them losing the licence affect you enjoying their comics
    Meh!