Default is spidey gonna turn into batman??

with the success of batman in DCs new 52 i have a funny feeling slott wants to turn spidey into a batman like character/book...making the theme darker than it ever was, superior spiderman seems like its gonna be taking elements of the batman title and applying em to the superior spiderman title...

batman works because it has the right villans..the right supporting cast and the city has life simply because its not over run by 1000 heroes, its batmans city and its built to suit his title

i dont think this is a bad idea. i know alot of veteran readers are bent on spidey being pete, and him having alot of bad luck throughout his life but im pretty sure the writers know that and have taken it into account, but im all up for change...

but do u think a batman style change is the right way to go????

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

I thought he did in the Amazing Spider-Man movie.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

No. But if they were to, I'd certainly have no interest in reading about it.

Any of you guys remember some of the stories by J.M. DeMatteis in Spectacular Spider-Man dealing with the Vulture, Tombstone, Vermin, and Harry Osborn being the Green Goblin? Those were all very dark stories that worked well within the framework of a Spider-Man book. I think you can do some similar Batman like stories in a Spidey book and they can work well but in general, I've always liked the lighter Spider-Man stories where he's being a smartass.

Alot of people do tend to forget some of the really dark elements in Spider-Man's history. His Uncle, his girlfriend and her father being killed aren't exactly light, fun material but they are very effective. Are we going to see a darker Spider-Man? Sounds like it but let's not call it Batman. Bruce Wayne is a borderline nutcase with too much money, I don't think that's the direction they're going with.

I personally think it's a cool idea, but on the grounds that Peter Parker would stay the normal Spider-Man and then Superior was someone else.

I would not say that Spider-Man will become as Batman.
    I would just say that in terms of tone of the stories it looks like will be as the Batman stories.Which is something that worked well in the past as in the J.M.DeMatteis stories which have been already mentioned.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by jonrobz96 View Post
    I personally think it's a cool idea, but on the grounds that Peter Parker would stay the normal Spider-Man and then Superior was someone else.
    What, you mean like having a Scarlet Spider book starring Kaine? They already got that which makes me question why the want to make a dramatic change in Superior. All I can say is that whatever happens, it should be interesting to see the hows and the whys both leading up to it and the direct aftermath.

I think Slott kinda did that with his latest Morbius/Lizard story
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Any of you guys remember some of the stories by J.M. DeMatteis in Spectacular Spider-Man dealing with the Vulture, Tombstone, Vermin, and Harry Osborn being the Green Goblin? Those were all very dark stories that worked well within the framework of a Spider-Man book. I think you can do some similar Batman like stories in a Spidey book and they can work well but in general, I've always liked the lighter Spider-Man stories where he's being a smartass.

Alot of people do tend to forget some of the really dark elements in Spider-Man's history. His Uncle, his girlfriend and her father being killed aren't exactly light, fun material but they are very effective. Are we going to see a darker Spider-Man? Sounds like it but let's not call it Batman. Bruce Wayne is a borderline nutcase with too much money, I don't think that's the direction they're going with.
    Thank you.

I said something similar in another topic.

I feel that Spider-Man stories have always been dark, even if the character remained relatively positive (or was able to act the sad clown). Just because Superior Spider-Man is going to be a dark persona, doesn't mean the book will be any darker than it already is, most of the time.

No One Dies was dark. The finale of Ends of the Earth was dark. Slott has done some dark stuff already, and Dying Wish looks like it's going to be darker than anything else he's done so far.

Since when does anything with a "dark" theme automatically get likened to Batman, like that property has solely corned the market on noirish brooding comic books ever? Does Punisher get this junk all the time?

I looked at the thread title quickly and thought it read, "Is Spidey gonna turn into a banana?"

EDIT: How's THAT for a crackpot theory?
    Last edited by Dog; 11-13-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Thank you.

I said something similar in another topic.

I feel that Spider-Man stories have always been dark, even if the character remained relatively positive (or was able to act the sad clown). Just because Superior Spider-Man is going to be a dark persona, doesn't mean the book will be any darker than it already is, most of the time.

No One Dies was dark. The finale of Ends of the Earth was dark. Slott has done some dark stuff already, and Dying Wish looks like it's going to be darker than anything else he's done so far.
    As long as they don't copy that 90's nonsense with Spider-Man acting like a nutcase, devil may care about his secret identity, punching the hell outta people and referring to himself in the third person as "The Spider!", I think we'll be alright. There comes a point when you gotta say "Stop 1994, just stop it!".

Why people thinkg darker = Batman? Batman wasn't the first dark story in comic book history.

"Eh, What's up Doc?" Spider-Frog's Avatar

Better than Batman! Brucies a poser without any actual Bat Powers. But Superior Spider-Bat will have Bat Powers.

The voices in my head tell me that in ASM#698- Doc Ock is going to Mutate Morbius even further using Radiation. When Peter is bitten by a Radioactive Morbius he will lose his Spider Powers and gain Bat Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by jameszahra View Post

batman works because it has the right villans..the right supporting cast and the city has life simply because its not over run by 1000 heroes, its batman's city and its built to suit his title
    I agree with this part of your post 100% especially the part about the city.