Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Nov 5, 2012

In response to a reader question, Tim takes a step back from the crush of current comics to reflect on what would make his All-Time Top 10 comics list. Can Kirby, Moore and Giffen make the cut?

Full article here.

THE APPLICANTS

We have very similar taste in comics.

Love the bug and Marshall Law. (Check out Pat Mills on Requiem. It's really, really good)

Some runs or series on my list that weren't on yours.

Suicide Squad by John Ostrander and company.

Hawkworld (3 issue series) by Tim Truman. Something of an underated classic. Truman makes Hawkman a drug addict and cold-blooded murderer, then manages a true redemption for the character.

The collected short works of Yoshihiro Tatsumi. As a writer, I put this guy in the same class as J.D. Salinger or Kafka. Powerful, allegorical tales that resonate long after you put them down. Simply put, Tatsumi is one of the very best writer/artist the medium has ever seen (in my humble opinion).

Nothing from the past 20 years, to crack in there Tim?

Mine will be superhero-centric, I don't care!

DKR, DKSA, ASBARTBW, by Frank Miller, Jansen, Varley, Lee. Such a visceral experience reading these. Jim Lee's best art ever too (I know, I know, bad anatomy, storytelling, expression, NOT TRYU, i swear!)

Lone Wolf and Cub, by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima. Synthesis of words and art. The best ending to any comic story ever.

Batman, by Morrison and friends. the best Superhero comics of all-time, (that i've read. STill waiting for Miracleman trades, Marvel)

New X-men, Morrison and friends

Uncanny X-men, Claremont and friends, very verbose, as each issue can be someone's first!

All-Star Superman, Morrison and Quitely

New Frontier, Darwyn Cooke

Wolverine: Weapon X, BWS

Punisher Max, Ennis and friends

100 Bullets, Azz and Risso

Not the best, but my favorites
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

I tried. I couldn't do it. There's just too many.
    I rule me.

It changes all the time, but I did submit 10 to CSBG "Top 100 Comic Book Runs" so I got most of it down, with a few others I filled in just because that's how the wind blows today. In alphabetical order...

Amazing Spider-Man - Lee/Romita/et al

The Lee/Ditko run is the one that gets mentioned most often, and it is VERY good, no doubt. But for me, Spider-Man was really solidified when Romita Sr. came on board. The supporting cast was finally fully formed, Lee's scripting only improved when he had to dial back his signature wordiness for Romita's wider panels, and the tone of the book got more cheery and lighthearted. I truly believe Spider-Man to be the greatest of all superheros, and his comic book was never better than it was on this run.

All-Star Superman - Morrison/Quitely/Grant

The anti-Watchmen; 12 issues that showcase the purity and humanity of the superhero better than just about everybody. Pretty much perfect.

Calvin and Hobbes - Bill Watterson

When I was a kid, I was pretty much obsessed with this comic. One of my fourth grade classes had a collection of these, and after I'd finish my work, I'd race over there and grab it, read it all it's strips again and again. I returned to it not too long ago, as many people do with there old cherished things of the past, to see if I was still entertained by it. And honestly...I think I loved it even more! All I can do when I talk about Calvin and Hobbes is heap praises down on it's unmatched humor and heart.

The Dark Knight Returns - Miller/Jenson/Valley

The greatest Batman story of them all. A dense, intricate, completely enthralling work, that only seems to get better every single time I read it. No matter what Frank Miller did afterwards, no matter how crazy he got, he always be in my good favors because of this absolute masterpiece of a comic book. Batman is lucky; not everybody gets to to have a classic origin AND final story, especially from the same writer.

Doom Patrol - Morrison/Case

Grant Morrison is one of the craziest comic book writers in the modern era, but sometimes he can get a little TOO crazy, even for me. But while his madcap ideas lose me on The Invisibles, they only enhance the fun of his Doom Patrol run. The core ingredient being the main cast, particularly Cliff Steele and Crazy Jane. No matter how off-the-wall this series got(and booooy, does this book ever get weird), it's almost always grounded by these great, flawed, funny, endearingly human characters. Maybe Morrison's most heartfelt work.

Hitman - Ennis/McRea

Sometimes I think this comic book was written and drawn just for me. It hits all of my favorite tropes and interest(superheroes, Hong Kong Action movies, gangster films, horror films, etc), and it does all with some of the funniest, smartest storytelling I've ever seen. But what it's really about it what it means to be a man, being there for your friends, and making the hard choices when your chips are down. Some say Preacher, others say Punisher, but in my mind, Hitman stands as Garth Ennis' greatest masterwork.

New X-men - Morrison/a billion other artists

Boy, my Grant Morrison flag is showing today, but what can I say, he's my favorite. If All-Star Superman is the best shortform/limited series superhero comic of the past decade, New X-men is the best longform comic. A distillation of great X-men tropes(Sentinels, Dark Phoenix, Weapon X, Magneto, Days of Future Past, etc) polished with a fresh coat of paint for the 21st century. Like the X-men itself, the run is more "flawed" than the others on my list(too many different, not-so-good artists), but it's storytelling and breadth of ideas cannot be denied.

Preacher - Ennis/Dillion

Hitman is the best, but it's not like Preacher is chop liver or anything! All the praise this book gets is totally earned, with some of the best dialog in the business, a wide eclectic group of entertaining characters, and powerful storytelling throughout the entire run. "All in the Family" may be the best Vertigo story I've ever read.

Scott Pilgrim - Bryan Lee O'Malley

How can a book this visually inventive, this quirky-cool, this irreverent and indulgent in it's nerdiness, be so sophisticated and honest? How can a book that has a completely insane video game concept of battling evil exes feel so real and heartfelt? And maybe the best comic-to-movie adaptation of them all, on top of that!? Bryan Lee O'Malley, whatever your next product is...good luck, buddy. You got quite a masterwork to live up to.

Uncanny X-men - Claremont/Smith/Romita Jr/Silvestri/Lee/et all

Specifically, this is Claremont post-Byrne/Cockrum. I know that's the traditional choice, but I honestly feel Claremont only got better after Bryne/Cockrum left. He continued to mature as a writer; his humor was better, his characterizations sharper, his themes more pronounced, and he began to take more risks with the direction of the book. Sometimes it's just the X-men all hanging out and doing their own little subplots. Sometimes it's a solo issue with Storm trying to rediscover herself. Sometimes, there isn't an X-Men group at all, or perhaps there's more women than men on the squad and nobody makes a big deal out of that fact. All while remaining the best-selling comic on the stands, all while continuing to be the best book the Big Two were putting out on a monthly basis back in the 1980s, all while continuing to tell highly entertaining, wonderfully-illustrated superhero stories accessible to all-ages for over a decade. If I can only put one book on top, it might have to be this one.

MARSHAL LAW!
    YES! YES! YES!
    That was my #1 pick in Brian's just finished Best 100 Comics Run poll. I'm probably the only one who voted for it too.
    One of the best, most underrated, and least known series ever.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you wrote on TDKR. (Weird how it almost seems as though it should now be written TDKReturns, what w/ TDKRises' existence and the sad likelihood that more people have seen that in its 4ish months of existence in the pubic sphere than have read the original TDKR in its 25ish years.) I'm always blown away when I read it. And though I've only read TDKSA the once, it stands as the most disappointing sequel to any pop-art thing I've ever really loved. Even Star Wars ep.1-3, which I've only ever watched once apiece.

And I have to agree on some fronts with Swampy over Watchmen for the actual text. I won't challenge any well-founded notions that Watchmen is a (possibly better, certainly more purposefully crafted and) more complete work unto itself. (It was supposed to be. Swamp Thing was/is an ongoing.) So much of the actual text/writing in Moore's Swamp Thing is just beautiful, it's too much to deny it an elevated status in its own right. Whatever the issue # is with the whole weird/awesome, plant-human lovemaking sequence - that bit is just gorgeously written. That's not even in consideration of Bissette's & Totleben's excellent work.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see a citing of Marshal Law here. I'd been considering the reprint due next year, and am closer to the purchase now. I actually picked up 'The Furry Trap' after having been directed to it in one of your columns earlier in the year. Some disturbing stuff, but excellent as well.

Nexus is also an enduring favorite of mine. Here's hoping Dark Horse continues on with the archive editions soon. Kind of hoping I may get the slightest bit of a Nexus-y feel from the X-Men Legacy relaunch, which figures to up my Marvel pulls to 5 a month.

I get the whole age-and-time dimension, too. I think I'm about 5 years younger than you, and I find myself trying to recapture that feel with a lot of what I'm picking up these days. I'm pretty sure my enduring love for Breyfogle-Grant Batman is tied into childhood/adolescence love of discovery in comics. And 'Invisibles' would have made my list, but not because I think it's oh-so-great. I honestly don't get too into it in rereads. But I loved that series so much as a teen that it will always be a part of my identity in some measure. Morrison made it completely cool and acceptable for me to fly my freak flag in the 90s.

Calvin and Hobbes' inclusion was nice to see as well.

(P.S. - the thoughts about Watchmen vs. Swamp Thing are not supposed to be a response to Callahan in the article so much as some of my own thoughts or what I've read regarding the greatness of Watchmen. Which I don't dispute. I love Watchmen.)