Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hellboy library editions

Does anyone have any news on when (or if) the 6th Volume will come out?

Quote Originally Posted by RawShark View Post
    Does anyone have any news on when (or if) the 6th Volume will come out?
    Mid June 2013

And will the "in Hell" books come in Library editions?
    "The evil I can tolerate, but the stupidity!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Mid June 2013
    Wow. That's really soon. Since Hellboy in Hell #1-4 won't be finished until March, I'm guessing it'll collect trades 12 and 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And will the "in Hell" books come in Library editions?
    I very much doubt they wouldn't. The Library Editions are such a beautiful presentation of Hellboy.
    Last edited by Middenway; 11-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.

BANNED

I hope they do. I love them and they're the main way I collect Hellboy.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I hope they do. I love them and they're the main way I collect Hellboy.
    Me three.
    The (over-sized) library additions are just such a pleasure to read.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

Resident Lurker The Left Hand of Doom's Avatar

Does anyone know if the sketch sections of the Library editions differ from the sketch sections of the TPBs? Is it different material?

BANNED

it's often got more content, I think? maybe that's just vol.5 which has a huge sketch section.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Hand of Doom View Post
    Does anyone know if the sketch sections of the Library editions differ from the sketch sections of the TPBs? Is it different material?
    I believe it is the same material in the TPBs, PLUS a bunch of new material. The sketchbook sections are really big in the Library Editions.
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by noble_enough View Post
    I believe it is the same material in the TPBs, PLUS a bunch of new material. The sketchbook sections are really big in the Library Editions.
    I do believe it differs or may differ, in the sense that for collecting it all, one would need to be owning all formats, since not even the Library Editions would neededly be containing just all of it. Or at least I haven't actually checked it, but I do like to be owning all the different formats in full for the most part.

I believe some of the smaller collections (such as the Hellboy: Wolves of Saint August mini-TPB for instance) could be containing some exclusive extra content. Or either the TPBs as compared to the Library Editions.
    Plus I've never actually checked whether or not any HCs couldn't be containing exclusive extra content. I'm sure the limited Seed Of Destruction slipcase edition does, but there could be more instances of this.
    Like the Adam Hughes Hellboy prelim for instance. Or some of the Baltimore sketches by Mignola - it could be they could be exclusive to one specific format or edition.

So it seems likely to me the Hellboy Library Editions aren't providing a purely or totally completist treatment, but then I'd call it fair and reasonable that for any being completist one would need to actually be or become such.
    And I'm not, since I don't own really everything: I don't own the Drawing On Your Nightmares Hellboy cover edition nor the special Fury cover edition. But I'll live.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-16-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by noble_enough View Post
    I'm quite certain that is the case. I don't know of anything from the trades that isn't collected in the library editions also.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I'm quite certain that is the case. I don't know of anything from the trades that isn't collected in the library editions also.
    I found the Crooked Man AOS TPB to contain Fegredo sketches as well as Mignola Moloch sketches (with the cool figure photo) as well as the Wellman feature, but the corresponding Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 4 doesn't appear to be containing them.

That's a number of stuff not in the Library Edition yet featured in other editions?

The other bits I have in my head like a small Adam Hughes Hellboy prelim I haven't found yet. It'll be in one of the uncollected crossover stuff or either a French only edition of something.

EDIT: it has come to my attention (thanks to Horror Of Sorts's wiki entry) that Fegredo's The Mole is collected in Library Ed. Volume 5, so likely his sketches for that will also be in Volume 5.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

I've concluded my little search through my own collection and I'd say The Library Editions sketch sections are bigger and mostly more complete than the TPB sketch sections.

Which doesn't always mean there wouldn't be some stuff as only appearing in magazines (like Wizard and Comic Book Artist and a lot of others) or other book editions.

Like how prints or special covers usually remain exclusive. As well as a lot of merch art.

The dedicated self-published sketchbooks as sold through artofmignola.com also offer a lot in lush B&W.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    . ~

Resident Lurker The Left Hand of Doom's Avatar

Thanks for the input. I've collected the floppies and have been picking up the library editions. Contemplating buying the TPBs if there's material that wouldn't be in the libraries.

I buy them all, from floppies to TPBs to Library Editions. I bag and board my issues, and reread them from time to time, while I look at the TPBs as loaners for friends and family to let them see what I'm reading. I treat the Library Editions more archivally...or like a fine liqueur that I sample from time to time.