Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Land's art is so bad I won't even trade-wait for this. I can't believe he still gets work.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Paladin King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    Honestly speaking, was there any scene in #1 that was irrepairably damaged by Land's art?

    No. There wasn't. Get over it.

    I've seen scenes (and entire issues) ruined by subpar fill-in artists who have most tenuous grasps on basic anatomy. Land's postmodern pastiche of image recycling just adds to the material consumerist technoflair that is the modern Iron Man. It's actually brilliant stuff.
    Yes there was: the scene with Tony in the nightclub.

    I actually though the issue overall was decent work for Land, but in that scene, Tony looked barely human. He looked like a caricature of an elderly Asian man. His face was completely and utterly messed up for that entire scene.

    ...but hey, those first two pages with Tony floating over the city in his armor were quite lovely.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:


    WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

  3. #33
    Member Vagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Land last worked on Uncanny X-Men, right? Were all the threads regarding the comic bloated with people popping in to only slam Land's art and offer no discussion on the writing? Yeah, I get it, he sucks and I agree but should I mentally prepare myself for all Iron Man-related threads being like this until he is absent/gone?
    Current Pulls:
    Iron Man, Batman, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, East of West, Iron Patriot, Mass Effect: Foundation, Moon Knight, New Avengers

  4. #34
    F&*k BOTA!!! Hariel0079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,569

    Default

    I don't read Iron Man but I might start now, and the whole GoTG now has gotten me more intrigued, since the X-men will be involved as well.

  5. #35
    you all everybody LightningBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Land last worked on Uncanny X-Men, right? Were all the threads regarding the comic bloated with people popping in to only slam Land's art and offer no discussion on the writing? Yeah, I get it, he sucks and I agree but should I mentally prepare myself for all Iron Man-related threads being like this until he is absent/gone?
    Pretty much.

  6. #36

    Default

    Gillen's arc explores a crisis of faith -- the way Tony sees the world and his beliefs. "The stuff in our universe is hard to deal with. If you're a man in a universe that's inherently unreasonable, that should push and pull you in interesting ways," he said.
    I think the rest of the universe has an even harder time dealing with why a primitive little mud ball in the middle of nowhere is attracting so many cosmic reality threatening conflicts.

    All those powerful and ancient alien empires that have been around since the beginning of the universe or control billions of solar systems must be really confused by the amount of insane universe altering crap that goes on around earth just within the past few decades of the Marvel universe.

  7. #37
    Senior Member okpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    I think the rest of the universe has an even harder time dealing with why a primitive little mud ball in the middle of nowhere is attracting so many cosmic reality threatening conflicts.

    All those powerful and ancient alien empires that have been around since the beginning of the universe or control billions of solar systems must be really confused by the amount of insane universe altering crap that goes on around earth just within the past few decades of the Marvel universe.
    I think Fraction's recent Defenders run tried to explain why Earth inexplicably seems to attract so many fantastical elements.

  8. #38
    Elder Member Vic Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    It went passed 10 issues last time and Tony wasn't in it
    True. It lasted 25 issues to be exact.

    And in the 90's it reached 62 isses with a completely different set of characters (save for Vance Astro).

    But its a REAL hard dollar in the comics industry now.

    Marvel probably thinks that they need Bendis writing it, PLUS McNiven drawing it, PLUS A-lister Iron Man as a member to get this book past the "12 issues and out" slump that all Marvel's new comics that arent Xmen or Avengers are in.

  9. #39
    Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Are you kidding me? At most they tolerate him. Land is a disgrace to the comic art form.
    I like him so not everyone would be happy with Land gone.

  10. #40

    Default

    I like that he admits his first issue was conservative.

    That gives me hope for the future. He recognizes that his first issue was kind of safe and rote, so hopefully he felt he needed to start there and we'll get better and better as the time goes.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    I think Fraction's recent Defenders run tried to explain why Earth inexplicably seems to attract so many fantastical elements.
    I know that writers have tried to explain why it happens. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes even gave it some lip service. However, aliens must still find it really confusing and weird that so much cosmic stuff have been happening to the human race in such a short amount of time.

  12. #42
    you all everybody LightningBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    I know that writers have tried to explain why it happens. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes even gave it some lip service. However, aliens must still find it really confusing and weird that so much cosmic stuff have been happening to the human race in such a short amount of time.
    Hickman's 'Shield' series seems to indicate that cosmic wackiness has been coming to earth for a lot longer than just the past few decades. He's got renaissance Galactus events, and ancient Brood attacks and stuff like that. Earth seems to just be a magnet for that type of stuff.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Hickman's 'Shield' series seems to indicate that cosmic wackiness has been coming to earth for a lot longer than just the past few decades. He's got renaissance Galactus events, and ancient Brood attacks and stuff like that. Earth seems to just be a magnet for that type of stuff.
    I know that cosmic stuff have been happening to earth, and around our solar system, for a very long time like with the Demiurge, Celestials, Thanos, etc. However, in recent times, humans seems to have been able to achieve things that have never happened in the history of the universe, like defeating Galactus or providing a stable host for the Phoenix Force.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •