Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm guessing its being called 'Godkiller' because 'Tony finds his spiritual side' doesn't make for a catchy title.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marco19 View Post
    hope fully this arc is better than what weve seen so far but after the first issue just wonder how many readers will be left of this book. im a big land fan and the art for the first issue ws great but wow the first issue was awful.....it was just so boring and really just felt like it was trying to hard .....hopefully things will get better for this book
    No the problem was that they where not trying AT ALL

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Would have gotten this but
    Greg Land
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze funeralthirst7's Avatar

I don't understand the hate for Greg Land. I really like his work.

I really don't care about Tony joining the Guardians. I feel it shows a lack of confidence in the property. On a related note, I hope rumors of Tony Stark joining the GOTG in the movie are false.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Honestly speaking, was there any scene in #1 that was irrepairably damaged by Land's art?

No. There wasn't. Get over it.

I've seen scenes (and entire issues) ruined by subpar fill-in artists who have most tenuous grasps on basic anatomy. Land's postmodern pastiche of image recycling just adds to the material consumerist technoflair that is the modern Iron Man. It's actually brilliant stuff.

I read the first issue and liked it, and I'd love to read Gillen's thoughts on the series going forward, but I honestly couldn't get past that horrible new suit. It looks like the nightmare stepchild of the heros-reborn armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    Honestly speaking, was there any scene in #1 that was irrepairably damaged by Land's art?

I've seen scenes (and entire issues) ruined by subpar fill-in artists who have most tenuous grasps on basic anatomy. Land's postmodern pastiche of image recycling just adds to the material consumerist technoflair that is the modern Iron Man. It's actually brilliant stuff.
    He steals art. That invalidates anything anyone could say to defend him. The issue isn't how bad he is, it's how much of a thief he is. If you steal other people's art, you're a blight on the medium. You can't argue that, sorry.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post

If that's how you want to justify it haha.

No offense, and I assert this as my personal opinion, but I think Greg Land does a disservice to the script. His character work is lifeless and they barely interact with their surroundings. Any possible emotional beat, any real humorous zinger gets lost because the characters do not appropriately convey it. From what I've seen, Land used to draw really well back on Nightwing but something happened when he went to Crossgen's Sojourn and he's only gotten worse since. Kieron Gillen is a great writing talent and he deserves to be paired with artists that elevate his script. Though apparently he's okay working with Land.

I have the same feelings toward Salvador Larroca, though I think he pulls off the photo-tracing more smoothly. I loved Larroca when I got into comics with the original X-Treme X-Men and it stunk seeing his artistic style devolve by Uncanny X-Men.

I digress. If people enjoy Land, that's their prerogative. But I could do with a change.

The 2nd interview in as many weeks...hope every big MN book gets that kind of press.

This seems like it may read better collected.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Guardians of the Galaxy needs Iron Man to avoid cancellation within 10 issues.

Gee, Bendis wants to be involved with a popular movie franchise....... that's unheard of!!!

Looks interesting.
    Iron Man in space just have not been a concept much explored in the stories,so i am intrigued to see how will be this second story arc.
    Iron Man is looking more and more to be one of my favorite new series from Marvel Now.I still have not gotten my copy of the first issue but from what i know of this series it does look cool.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by spardyman View Post
    Gee, Bendis wants to be involved with a popular movie franchise....... that's unheard of!!!
    Avengers wasn't a popular movie franchise until long after (and most would say because of) Bendis's run started. Bendis did Ultimate Spider-Man around the same time the first movie came out and despite any backlash against Bendis his Ultimate Spider-Man run is STILL going after 12 years even though he has created a new Spider-Man in Miles Morales. Who knows how much him doing the GOTG book has to do with the movie getting made in the first place? Marvel relies on Bendis and no matter what people say it has been a hugely profitable relationship for Marvel. Just like with Greg Land it's "hate what's popular" here. Luckily for both guys the opinions here don't reflect sales or Marvel's belief in both.

As for Iron Man I'd have to say the story has a ways to go. Gillen is a slow-builder and starting off with 1-and-dones might make it harder. Hopefully a sense of a longer storyline outside of Extremis comes into play because it just feels like it's empty space like where Tony/Iron Man will be going. I'm more patient than most so I'll stick around and see what happens. It took awhile for his Uncanny to really unfold so I expect no less here. I just hope it's not another Generation Hope because Iron Man deserves better.... I do like the idea of Iron Man in space and some of my favorite Iron Man stories involved that concept.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy needs Iron Man to avoid cancellation within 10 issues.
    It went passed 10 issues last time and Tony wasn't in it
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    It went passed 10 issues last time and Tony wasn't in it
    So true... and a great run. Sadly, I'm getting the impression there'll be miles of differences between that amazing team lineup/run and the coming Bendis run with Steve Rogers as Star Lord...